Sticky request Disk and wedge disk commands

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

Vic20-Ian
Vic 20 Scientist

Sticky request Disk and wedge disk commands

Post by Vic20-Ian »

Could someone please make a sticky post with DOS commands and uIEC / SD2IEC wedge commands for disk use. I am using either FE3 or a Brain uIEC 3.0

How do I create a new d64 image?
Change to image?
Load a file quickly?
Save a file?
Overwrite a file while saving new version?

Thanks.

Ian
Vic20-Ian

The best things in life are Vic-20

Upgrade all new gadgets and mobiles to 3583 Bytes Free today! Ready
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

For most of your requests you may simply use my CBM-FileBrowser.

You may use SJLOAD for fast loading or simply just use it from Mega-Cart, it automatically uses the integrated SJLOAD.

For other tasks you may use CBM-Command, also integrated on Mega-Cart with SJLOAD support.

For manual drive commands, take a look here.
Mega-Cart: the cartridge you plug in once and for all.
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

If there are any sensible candidates for sticky threads in the Hardware section, that'd be 'Mega-Cart', 'Final Expansion :: 512KB SRAM + 512KB EEPROM + SD Card (2GB)', 'S-Video from the VIC', 'Sid-20 mod for the Vic', 'RAM...what to get?', 'Introducing VFLI for VIC-20: 208x256 pixels in 16 colours!', and 'Internally wiring a uIEC'. IMO.

And not a one-off collection of not exactly hardware related questions about SD2IEC devices, which can easily be answered by taking a look in the manual.
Vic20-Ian
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Vic20-Ian »

Mike, thanks for the answer, though neither really friendly, helpful nor answering the question.

Maybe you should consider if you are a suitable user of "Vic20 The Friendly Computer"

If I had a manual I would have used it. I also searched the forum.

If it is so easy to answer and you have a manual I would be grateful for the answer to my question.
Vic20-Ian

Vic20-Ian
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Vic20-Ian »

nbla000 wrote:For most of your requests you may simply use my CBM-FileBrowser.

You may use SJLOAD for fast loading or simply just use it from Mega-Cart, it automatically uses the integrated SJLOAD.

For other tasks you may use CBM-Command, also integrated on Mega-Cart with SJLOAD support.

For manual drive commands, take a look here.

Many thanks nbla000, some help in the sd2iec thread but the bit I am after is incomplete

"With JiffyDOS or cartridges such as Final Cartridge 3 or Action Replay, shortcuts for sending commands to the floppy exist."

I would like the wedge commands for FE3 and the equivalent long hand commands for initialising a new d64 file, changing to it and then saving to it etc.

This would help me using the Vic infrequently if it were sticky in hardware section but apparently hardware use and obscure commands as a reference is not a suitable sticky according to Mike.

I was just trying to be helpful to folks who never had a disk drive and will probably have one in FE3 or uIEC.
Vic20-Ian

Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

Vic20-Ian wrote:Maybe you should consider if you are a suitable user of "Vic20 The Friendly Computer"
Nice try. :P
Vic20-Ian
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Vic20-Ian »

2nd try for you and still no helpful answer Mike.

Please post an answer to the request for help or don't but there is no need for further evidence of your character in this thread thank you.
Vic20-Ian

FD22
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by FD22 »

Do you know, I thought it was just me. I'm always conscious of the fact that the written word often lacks emotion and tone which might significantly alter the interpretation of what has been posted - particularly when language and culture can vary widely across a forums' membership - but when you see the same charactistics being displayed over and over again, you start to form an impression about the person behind the words.

Quite reassuring to see someone else commenting on the extremely poor attitude displayed by this individual. Not the first time I've had occasion to remind myself that the VIC is the friendly computer.
darkatx
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by darkatx »

I'll vouch for Mike's character...he's a really helpful guy!

Vic20-Ian since Denial has a wiki page - maybe a nice page on some of the popular hardware on the Vic with a commands and functions page for the FE3 and the uIEC 3.0 would be a neat idea. :)
Learning all the time... :)
Vic20-Ian
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Vic20-Ian »

Thanks guys.

If the experts don't help those starting out it is not much fun. RTFM or similar comments don't help and are just plain rude. The information is not easily found on Denial so far so I will make a start compiling it.

I am still struggling with creating a new disk on FE3 using wedge commands.

The only reference I can find mentions @N, S and I commands working but no format.

Even the Vic 1541 manual is obscure about the wedge program commands.

On FE3 the following work so far:

@CD:diskname.d64 changes to this disk
@CD:<left arrow> goes back up the directory tree one level
$ for directory
%<filename> loads a program
/<filename> loads a program
@ gives error message status
# gives drive number

I managed to do the following which is almost what I want to do
@C:<mynewdisk.d64>=<myolddisk.d64> copy a d64 image to a new file in current directory
@CD:<mynewdisk.d64> change to newdisk.d64
@N: wipe the current disk

@R:<newname>=<oldname> rename a file - not working yet on my d64 file? works within a d64 to rename files
Vic20-Ian

MicroPet
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by MicroPet »

^
As an old guy with an old computer but with really new hardware and not a lot of free time I wholeheartedly love this idea!

I have a Mega-Cart and an FE3 and I just know I'm not getting the full benefit out of either of them.

The useful info is at best vague and scattered and it's really difficult to get some of the stuff.

I don't even know how to update the firmware for my FE3 or even where to find it!

I know I can write scripts to load games but have no access to ready examples so that I can actually learn how to do it for myself.

I never owned a disk drive back in the day so even the normal standard Commodore commands are arcane for me...

Please be helpful! :)

If enough info is gathered in this thread I'll happily collate it all and create a page on the wiki. That way everyone can have a ready and clear guide on how to fully exploit this amazing hardware.

Thanks. :)
Vic20-Ian
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Vic20-Ian »

Thanks Micropet

The FE3 Formware is on Diddl (Tommy's page)

http://vc20final.t-winkler.net/zip/

Version 21 is current.

I only have 20 loaded myself just now.

I think you just copy the firmware012.bin to the root of the SD cards and then do an update on the Vic from the cartridge. I will update to 21 and confirm the process for you tomorrow.

Forum 64 is also a useful site for FE3 - I lost this for a while and just found it again.

http://www.forum64.de/wbb3/board65-neue ... expansion/

Loader files tutorial for FE3

http://www.forum64.de/wbb3/board65-neue ... r-dateien/
Vic20-Ian