Final Expansion :: 512KB SRAM + 512KB EEPROM + SD Card (2GB)

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

Diddl
Vic 20 Afficionado

Final Expansion :: 512KB SRAM + 512KB EEPROM + SD Card (2GB)

Post by Diddl »

There is a new Cartridge coming for our VIC-20, the Final Expansion v3.

Discussions about in Forum 64, I'm sorry it's german: click
Last edited by Diddl on Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

So this is basically a RAM expansion cart with a built-in uIEC? :)
"...That of the Eastern tribe being like a multitude of colours as if a rainbow had settled upon its brow..." Daniels 1:3
RobertBe
Vic 20 Elite

Post by RobertBe »

Pedro Lambrini wrote:So this is basically a RAM expansion cart with a built-in uIEC? :)
It seems more like a ram expander and SD2IEC.

Very interesting,
Robert Bernardo
Fresno Commodore User Group
http://videocam.net.au/fcug
July 25-26 Commodore Vegas Expo - http://www.portcommodore.com/commvex
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

It would be interesting if one could use it to load multi-part games, just as it was a real disk drive (I was thinking in particular about Infocom adventures, which are made of an interpreter disk plus a story disk). Is this feasible with such a device?
Centallica
Pinballer

Post by Centallica »

All I can say is he's a horrible speller :oops:

Like WTF is "Speichererweiterung"? What does a sphincter rug have anything to do with a cartridge? :?

Anyhow, I'd still buy one as it looks great!! 8) I'll take mine minus the hairy sphincter thanks :lol:
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Centallica wrote:minus the hairy sphincter thanks :lol:
Can be fun though- depending on how the Speichererweiterung is used :D
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

'Speichererweiterung' is a German composite word, where the two words it consists of mean - in that context:

'Speicher' == memory
'Erweiterung' == expansion

hence, memory expansion. BTW - these composites are what translators like babelfish, etc. regularily fail on. :lol:

Besides a banked RAM expander of 512 K, it also features EEPROM of 512K or 1024K where cartridges can be 'soft-burned', and the built-in uIEC/SD.
orion70 wrote:It would be interesting if one could use it to load multi-part games, just as it was a real disk drive (I was thinking in particular about Infocom adventures, which are made of an interpreter disk plus a story disk). Is this feasible with such a device?
Yeah, VICtoria should run like a dream on it. :)

Greetings,

Michael
Diddl
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Diddl »

RobertBe wrote: It seems more like a ram expander and SD2IEC.
Please excuse my bad english ...

Yes, it is a SRAM Expander (512KB), a EEPROM Cartridge (512KB - 29F040) and a integrated SD2IEC (many thanks to UNSEEN).

The EEPROM holds a Firmware, which allow
  • Simple RAM Config (3KB, 8KB, 16KB, 24KB, 32KB, 32KB + 3KB) by menu or quick key
  • program/cartridge loader from any IEC device (Floppydisk, SD2IEC ...)
  • program/cartridge loader from EEPROM
The Final Expansion is fully software configurable by a register at IO2 (39936).

It is possible to hide IO Register (invisible). After this a hard reset is nessecary to reenable.

Register allows full access to EEPROM and SRAM (banking). SRAM can work as a pseudo ROM (write enable/disable), switchable on every combination of blocks.

Writing EEPROM is possible from VIC-20. So everyone can program most important software to EEPROM for fast access.

The Disk Loader is fully configurable. You define a name for the Menu entry and if selected, this loads one or more files to memory. for example two cartridge files (without address) for $6 and $a, or a BASIC program, or a normal program file with address.
You can switch into sub directory or into a D64 imagefile on a SD2IEC. And return to main directory also by menu selection.

The EEPROM loader works in the same manner. Simply list content as a menu and select one entry to start. EEPROM loader works with the same configuration file from the Disk Loader. If Disk loader is configured correctly you can simply take this to burn it into EEPROM.
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

So does that mean that it is theoretically possible to have an image of the Mega-Cart on a SD card and use it in this cart therby gaining a single unit with the functionality of the SD2IEC and the MC? :)
"...That of the Eastern tribe being like a multitude of colours as if a rainbow had settled upon its brow..." Daniels 1:3
Diddl
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Diddl »

Final Expansion is not able to emulate the Hardware nor the firmware of a MegaCart.

But you easily can store all programs, games and cartridges available for VIC-20 into one SD and execute it with Final Expansion.
matsondawson
The Most Noble Order of Denial

Post by matsondawson »

Just curious, who would want 512kb of bank switched ram on a Vic 20?

Is this something that would particularly sway anyone here to buy it because it had 512k?
Centallica
Pinballer

Post by Centallica »

Mike wrote:'Speichererweiterung' is a German composite word, where the two words it consists of mean - in that context:

'Speicher' == memory
'Erweiterung' == expansion
Thanks Mike :wink:
Diddl
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Diddl »

matsondawson wrote:Just curious, who would want 512kb of bank switched ram on a Vic 20?
The costs of a 512KB SRAM Chip is $3,50. It is better to have 1 chip, not 2 or more. And it is easy to buy it, old chips are harder to get.

And who knows, maybe someone programs a Disk Copy for Final Expansion. You can do a whole copy of a 1571 disk (360KB) in one pass. And you can read once and write how often you want.

matsondawson wrote:Is this something that would particularly sway anyone here to buy it because it had 512k?
It is a non profit project, we only want to inform you ...

I'm working on a english version of the Final Expansion homepage.
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

Any idea of what this might cost?
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

I think this is a free project for everyone who wants to build one, I don't think Diddl is going to produce and sell the board- or am I wrong? :?: