Question about a VIC 20 RF box and cable.

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

noname
Vic 20 Newbie

Question about a VIC 20 RF box and cable.

Post by noname »

I only see RF Modulators, but I don't know if there were any VIC 20 RF boxes and cables. Do they exist? Hopefully, they do. If I really can't find one, then I might just use my C64 RF box.
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

You mean the switch to switch between the vic-20 and an antenna?
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

The box of the VIC-20 contained the main unit, PSU, RF modulator, and User's guide. No RF (switching) box was included.

You do yourself a favour, if you don't use the RF modulator. The picture quality is much better with a A/V cable.
noname
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by noname »

Mike wrote:No RF (switching) box was included.
Oh. Okay.
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

Well, I stand corrected. In the User's guide, on page VI at the bottom, one reads:
User's Guide wrote:Note: Some VICs are provided with a "switchbox" which attaches between the RF modulator and TV set. The switchbox contains a switch with settings for "computer" and "TV" and should be set to "computer" when using the VIC.
... most probably dependent on the country where that VIC-20 was sold.
noname
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by noname »

Those VIC 20s must be rare, then.
dano
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by dano »

Aside from having one to complete a collection, I don't know what good a switch box would be. At least here in the US, there is no more analog TV being broadcast, so there would be nothing coming in on the antenna terminals.... I agree about using a/v cables :)