Recording to tape on C64 for use with VIC-20

Basic and Machine Language

Moderator: Moderators

jdxpolygon
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by jdxpolygon »

ral-clan wrote:Ward Shrake outlined a simple hack to a datasette that allows you to make byte for byte copies from one to the other (between a pair of datasettes).

Maybe something like that would help in your situation. It's in the Denial Wiki.

http://sleepingelephant.com/denial/wiki ... dification
That sounds like a useful and relatively easy thing to make - I've got 2 datasettes, although one is probably not standard on the inside (brand seems to be 'SaLu'), and the other I'm not sure about (definitely model 'C2N', the deck says 'COMMODORE' and the box said the brand was CPC), that ones almost brand new so I don't want to cut it up. If the SaLu one has the right stuff inside I'd happily modify that.
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

The article doesn't mention any software having to run on the VIC-20, nor any commands being issued from the VIC-20. So it sounds like all you have to do is hit RECORD on the daisy-chained datasette, and PLAY on the SOURCE datasette (but how will you know when the data is finished being copied without a VIC attached?). I suppose it is just easier to type LOAD on a VIC and copy the program to the daisy chained datasette at the same time it is being loaded into a VIC-20.

BUT....once the program is in the VIC's memory, can it be SAVED to two datasettes simultaneously by pressing RECORD on both? That should be the case if the first datasette passes through its signal to the daisy chained one.

Technically, if one had a half-dozen datasettes modded in the same way, it should be possible to make a datasette copying "farm" by daisy chaining them all together. The only problem would be the power drain caused be all the datsettes. You'd need to rig up a device to supply more power to the VIC, or power to the datasettes individually.
Bacon
for breakfast

Post by Bacon »

Actually, if you read the article a little more closely, you'll see that you connect the modified datassette (d1) to the VIC-20 in the normal way, connect the unmodified datassette (d2) to d1, press record on d2, and enter LOAD on the VIC. Press play on d1 and the program will simultaneously be loaded into the VIC and saved on d2.

Edit: And reading your post a little more closely, I see that you said just that :oops:
Bacon
-------------------------------------------------------
Das rubbernecken Sichtseeren keepen das cotton-pickenen Hands in die Pockets muss; relaxen und watschen die Blinkenlichten.