Fell backward into a TI-99/4a...

Other Computers and Game Systems

Moderator: Moderators

Muzz73
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Fell backward into a TI-99/4a...

Post by Muzz73 »

I've always wanted one to mess with, but had never run across one until now, when my father-in-law brought one home. Apparently, someone who buys abandoned storage units acquired it recently, took the whole lot to the flea market and the old TI was one of several old items that didn't sell, so they gave it to him. Now I have it.

I'm excited to have a new machine to play with, but thought I'd ask if there are any caviats or odd quirks of the TI that I should be aware of.

Anyone out there in VIC land have any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
BCNU,
Louis
rhurst
Omega Star Commander

Post by rhurst »

I had gotten one myself and a few carts ... if you want my +1 extras (I think I have 3), PM me here with your shipping address. I suggest finding the Atari joystick adapter for it, as the TI joysticks suck, as well as a video cable to hook it up to a modern TV.
Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
https://robert.hurst-ri.us/rob/retrocomputing
lordbubsy
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by lordbubsy »

The TI-99/4A was my first computer. Except for the Philips G7000. In 1981 I learned programming in BASIC on it.
TI Extended BASIC is a very recommendable cartridge. It's a great improvement to the original BASIC.
There is also a hack for the TV modulator to connect it to a composite monitor like the 1702 etc.
Edit: http://www.ti99.com/ti99r1.htm

You can use your PC sound card for saving and loading programs.

A few years ago I had a TI-99/4A for a short time. Over here in Europe they are rather expensive and the extensions are hard to come by.

However, I do have quite some PDF books and documents. If you like I could upload them. it's about 650MB.
8-bit assimilation
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

My condolences. :P
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
Muzz73
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by Muzz73 »

Hee hee! Don't worry... I have the feeling I'll probably mess with it for half an hour, tell myself "This isn't my VIC!" and put it in the mini storage alongside my 8-bit Ataris. :lol:
BCNU,
Louis
lordbubsy
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by lordbubsy »

Here is a link with even more books…
http://pergrem.com/tibooks/

I really must admit that I'd be happy when instead of the TI-99, the VIC-20 was my first computer. It’s a far more "open" and hackable computer. :D
8-bit assimilation
Muzz73
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by Muzz73 »

Does anyone know where I can get an Atari joystick adapter for the old TI?

I have seen plans to build these on the web, but I am not too handy with a soldering iron and would prefer to buy one made by a professional.

I'm going to hook it up again tonight and mess with it and I have a Y-cable that's plugged into the joystick port. I don't know whether it's an adapter of sorts or just plainly, a Y-cable. I'm going to plug an Atari joystick into it and see what happens, but if that doesn't work, I will need the adapter.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks!
BCNU,
Louis
Muzz73
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by Muzz73 »

It turns out that the Y-cable I had with the old TI is an Atari joystick adapter/adaptor... which is right? I always thought "adaptor" was correct, but now I see that "adapter" is also acceptable.

Anyhow, yes, I plugged in a freshly rebuilt Atari CX-40 joystick (the basic black one with the single orange/red fire button) and test-played Parsec a little, just to be sure.... ;)

Woohoo! That saves me from having to track down some of those crappy TI joysticks to plug in. Ugh. I still say the Odyssey 2's joystick was the worst, but those TI sticks are a closer runner up!
BCNU,
Louis
RobertBe
Vic 20 Elite

Post by RobertBe »

Muzz73 wrote:It turns out that the Y-cable I had with the old TI is an Atari joystick adapter/adaptor... which is right? I always thought "adaptor" was correct, but now I see that "adapter" is also acceptable.

Anyhow, yes, I plugged in a freshly rebuilt Atari CX-40 joystick (the basic black one with the single orange/red fire button) and test-played Parsec a little, just to be sure.... ;)

Woohoo!
Oh, maybe I should take out my TI-99...
I still say the Odyssey 2's joystick was the worst, but those TI sticks are a closer runner up!
Colecovision joysticks are not great, either.

Truly,
Robert Bernardo
Fresno Commodore User Group
http://videocam.net.au/fcug
July 27-28 Commodore Vegas Expo v9 -
http://www.portcommodore.com/commvex
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Intellivision controllers are the absolute worst of that era. Look at this thread.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
Muzz73
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by Muzz73 »

I remember that thread... I know the Intellivision's controllers weren't exactly friendly to anyone, but I think with the countless hours I spent on them has tainted me a bit into thinking that they weren't that bad.

Not comfortable, for sure, but a multidirectional disc (possibly evolved into the D-pad that everyone is now accustomed to), a keypad with 0-9, Clear and Enter buttons as well as four completely separate fire/action buttons made it extremely versatile.

I figured at least there is a plus and a minus to that controller. The Oddysey2's stick has no plus to it! :lol:
BCNU,
Louis