Introduce Yourself: What's your User Name based on?

Sticky Threads and Annoucements
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Spectrum wrote:"Tutto il mondo è paese"
'It's a small world' gives the idea... :wink:
bittin
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by bittin »

bittin from when my 1year old cousin tried to say Martin (my real name) but it sounded like something like bittin instead, and since i used it as a nickname since like 2000
meldrew
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by meldrew »

Hi all, you must have seen/heard of Victor Meldrew, (well UK members anyway) miserable old sod. I'm told that fits me usually.
Victor Meldrew
Spectrum
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by Spectrum »

webbey@hotmail.co.uk wrote:Hi all, you must have seen/heard of Victor Meldrew, (well UK members anyway) miserable old sod. I'm told that fits me usually.
I didn't... who is this Victor Meldrew?
Welcome to the Forum! :D
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Welcome Victor! I had to check Wikipedia :) .
gnomencandle
Vic 20 Newbie

new to forum

Post by gnomencandle »

I recently purchased a Vic-20 which came with a tape deck, tons of tapes with various games (have not gone through them all), 2 french language educational tape booklets, tons of compute magazine photocopies in a binder, 9 cartridge games (some rare like seafox), and 2 joysticks. (I remember these did not last too long in my household, growing up, so I'll not be using them often -- unless I try to beat my old record on Omega Race (645,000)). There are some Vic-20 booklets as well.

Most of the games are boxed and have the instruction sheet. The Vic 20 and peripherals did not have a box.

I have an old Amiga monitor which I can use to hook up the Vic 20 to.

I paid $50 for local pickup which for the nostalgia factor is a great deal for me, especially since it has Omega Race. BTW, There is a secret in getting that high of a score... Once you get into the higher phases of the game it is true chaos like menagerie, but there are a few safe places, which require you to move only once in a while) The time I got into the 500,000's some weird screen came up which looked like credits, but was some kind of congratulations screen. And then the game continued on to the next level. I wish I had recorded it, but back then, we did not have flipcams.
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Welcome Gnomencandle, and congratulations on your early achievement with Omega Race :) .
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Welcome! I would love to see that Hi-Score screen! Hope you try again.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
SparkyNZ
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by SparkyNZ »

I was always called Sparky at school (cue "bright spark", "spark plug" jokes etc :) ) and I moved from the UK to New Zealand.

I owned a Vic some 28 years ago and dabbled with a VICE a little to bring back some of the memories.. But I bought a couple of real Vic 20's a few weeks ago so now I'm returning to hardcore Vic fun! :)
MicroPet
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by MicroPet »

Hi. I've call myself Micro Pet as a tribute to the genius that is Bob Yannes.

I've been a VIC fan and owner for many, many years. My brother got me interested in the machine in the mid 80's when it was falling out of mainstream favour. Being the iconoclast that I am I took up the mantel of "Proud VIC Owner" (TM) and have played with the machine ever since.

I can't program to save myself but I greatly admire what you guys (and some of the sceners) have pulled out of the little machine that could... It always amazes me when I see something like The Keep being released!

I would say my other favourite system would be the VIC's contemporary - The VCS or 2600. I love it for the same reason I love the VIC. It's still capable of surprises after all these years.

Anyway, that's my verbose intro. I hope to be around for a while... :)
MrGregoryArkadin
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by MrGregoryArkadin »

I joined this forum to learn about programming, I just picked up a Vic20 for a show I am directing this summer and would love to lean how to create a demo and learn BASIC. My username is in reference to the Orson Welles movie, "Mr. Arkadin" with Welles and Robert Arden- it's a great film.
"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan
CBR125R
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by CBR125R »

Hi. I used to borrow a friend's VIC-20 to play with and program on back in high school in the early 80s. I've been playing with VICE for quite some time, and finally decided to pull the trigger on a real VIC-20. I ordered a MegaCart a while back and of course started hunting for a VIC-20 through eBay and Craigslist. I found a complete system, tested and working, with all cables and a cassette recorder for $50.

It arrived yesterday: a boxed VIC-20 with recorder, and copies of GORF and Mission Impossible. :)
MicroPet
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by MicroPet »

Welcome aboard guys (so says the other forum noob!). :)

@ MrGregoryArkadin; What kind of show are you doing? Is it a stage show/arty thingy, internet TV show? Tell all!
MrGregoryArkadin
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by MrGregoryArkadin »

MicroPet wrote:Welcome aboard guys (so says the other forum noob!). :)

@ MrGregoryArkadin; What kind of show are you doing? Is it a stage show/arty thingy, internet TV show? Tell all!
It's a little bit of all those things, actually. It's going to be a live TV show done as part of the undergroundzero festival in NYC. A 3 camera setup like the Honeymoooners, or Seinfeld, but with a tone similar to Breaking Bad if you will. As well as being on New Jersey public access (i don't know anyone in the higher echelons :/) It will also be simultaneously broadcast on the show's website newunion.tv (it's not live yet).

The show is called Servers, and it is about our relationship with technology. What we would do if it shut down. Not due to any military or governmental coup, just because of the limitations inherit in machinery. The main character works for a fictional TV station, and the equipment they work with I want to be early computers, Mac II's, maybe a Kaypro, and the main character has a VIC 20.

I saw that you can make demo's with the VIC, I'd love to be able to make a demo with the TV station logo that's been made to kind of make it fit, is this possible?

Would purchasing the Mega-Cart help this process? I'm trying to raise funds for the show and this was on my list of things to get. Any ideas?
"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan
English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by English Invader »

MrGregoryArkadin wrote:Would purchasing the Mega-Cart help this process? I'm trying to raise funds for the show and this was on my list of things to get. Any ideas?
The main problem you would have with the Mega-Cart is the waiting list. Up to a year for some people, which may not fit in with your production schedule.

You can buy RAM expansions quite cheaply, though, which is the only major advantage the MC would bring to the table from your point of view.

The other thing is that Basic programming takes a lot of time and commitment to master and it could take a long while before you manage anything beyond a ball bouncing around the screen and flashing lights.