**New Release** REALMS OF QUEST 3 (available for order!)

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

Thanks everyone! It was also an honor to showcase the artistic talents of darkatx and saehn in this project.

Looks like Psytronik has made the freeware version of Realms III available here:

http://www.psytronik.com/main/index.php ... &Itemid=56

The digital/budget disk/premium disk editions should be available soon!
"A slave is one who waits for someone to come and free him." -- Ezra Pound
6502dude
megacart

Post by 6502dude »

Very nice!!!

Congratulations on fine project.
I'm sure it will be enjoyed by many.
Image Mega-Cart: the ultimate cartridge for your Commodore Vic-20
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

Pictures of the upcoming budget and premium disk packaging are also here:

http://www.psytronik.com/main/index.php ... &Itemid=18

Thank you Kenz!
fgasking
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by fgasking »

This is brilliant!... well done! :)

Count me in for an order when Kenz releases it on the label. I'll hold out for then. It's great being able to get brand new Vic 20 games in physical form :)
saehn
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by saehn »

Ghislain wrote:darkatx has really made some amazing artwork for the packaging and the manual! I hope he doesn't mind that I'm displaying some of it here:

(pics snipped, see original posting)
Very cool, darkatx! I especially liked the one where Nikaedor has his hand on his girl's rump. Hot! ;-) It's very cool to see someone's else interpretation of the character, I love how our two versions complement each other. Congrats!
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Ghislain on May 1st wrote:I've also decided to change the theme and tone of the game to make it more appealing to the children, for the sake of the children. [..] So instead of 'fighting' against monsters, the player will go on quests to learn how to share and love and learn the values of being peaceful and kind to each other.
saehn wrote:I especially liked the [artwork] where Nikaedor has his hand on his girl's rump. Hot! ;-)
Well, I suppose that was the last nail to the children-friendly coffin, or perhaps kids of today wouldn't raise an eyebrow over that. :-P
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
darkatx
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by darkatx »

saehn wrote: Very cool, darkatx! I especially liked the one where Nikaedor has his hand on his girl's rump. Hot! ;-)
It was supposed to be on her hip but then I got to thinking...he has no shame and neither does she.
saehn wrote: It's very cool to see someone's else interpretation of the character, I love how our two versions complement each other. Congrats!
Thanks!! :) ...but that's no accident. I took the entire cast list based on your work and printed it out. So the new cover and that picture were all based on your and Ghislain's designs. ;)
carlsson wrote: Well, I suppose that was the last nail to the children-friendly coffin, or perhaps kids of today wouldn't raise an eyebrow over that. :-P
LOL...the minute I saw boobies I figured it was already past the point of no return...LOL. :)
Learning all the time... :)
Centallica
Pinballer

Post by Centallica »

Very nice and professional done!!

Do you think the freeware download will increase or decrease sales for the product?

Where's the Premium "But It Now" button damn it :? :lol:
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

Centallica wrote:Very nice and professional done!!

Do you think the freeware download will increase or decrease sales for the product?

Where's the Premium "But It Now" button damn it :? :lol:
Thanks! Do I think it will decrease sales? I suppose it might -- there could be some who try it out and then find out that they're happy enough with the freeware version, or it's not up to their liking. Then, there's always the chance that the freeware version will impress somebody enough to make them want to buy it. It's probably a wash.

My hope is that people who buy it will get some entertainment out of it. I crammed as much stuff as I could on side 2 that I figure there's something in there for everyone. In fact, even if you're a VIC-20 user without memory expansion, you can still play several games on side 2 that don't need it and you can just play the D64 image on an emulator for Realms III.

I myself also can't wait to buy the Premium Edition, for me and all of my friends. I think everybody else should do the same as well ;)
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

What did you use for "flesh color" on the characters? It's not the white I see in the skeleton. Is there another option for human-like tones? (I'm colorblind, so forgive me if this sounds like s stupid question)
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
saehn
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by saehn »

Two colors... pink AKA light red (#0A) and light orange (#09). They're very similar on a NTSC TV, IMO, but the default palette in WinVICE renders them as being further apart. I've been using Pasi Ojala's (Albert) palette for WinVICE available here: http://www.cs.tut.fi/~albert/Pu-239/vimm/6561-101.vpl

It's much more "accurate" to me.
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

Realms of Quest III is finally available! You can order it here:

Premium Edition: http://www.binaryzone.org/retrostore/in ... cts_id=510

Budget Edition: http://www.binaryzone.org/retrostore/in ... cts_id=511

(premium means you get a plastic jewel case + 36 page manual, budget is disk-only)

-----------------------------------------------

It was in February of 2009 (this year) that I had announced that I would be making DUNJON III. After a couple of weeks, I decided that this project would instead become REALMS OF QUEST III.

I posted on the VIC-20 Denial forum ( http://sleepingelephant.com/ipw-web/bul ... php?t=3368 ) what was on my mind at the time as I was making this game. There were some setbacks but it was always 3 steps forward with the occasional step back.

(clockwise from upper-left: first mockup "proof of concept" for Dunjon III which would later evolve into Realms of Quest III, party menu graphic, saehn's magnificient splash screen for the intro, and the party traveling on the surface map)

(the above are saehn's enhanced graphics that are included in the commercial release)

(all of my spare time spent on this was not in vain as the above illustrates).

Again, a big kudos to saehn and darkatx (and of course, Kenz the publisher) for their magnificent art.

Would you believe that I originally conceived that it would take me 2 years to finish this project? At the time I started this project, I only had a bare minimum knowledge of 6502 assembly language.

I hope that those who order it get some entertainment out of it. If you'd like a sampler of what this game is like, you can also try the freeware version available here: http://www.psytronik.com/main/index.php ... &Itemid=56
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

Congratulations in getting it released. I have, of course, ordered the premium version. Can't wait! :)
"...That of the Eastern tribe being like a multitude of colours as if a rainbow had settled upon its brow..." Daniels 1:3
InfernalKeith
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by InfernalKeith »

Many congratulations, you should be proud of your work. I'll be picking up a premium edition this week.
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

Pedro Lambrini wrote:Congratulations in getting it released. I have, of course, ordered the premium version. Can't wait! :)
InfernalKeith wrote:Many congratulations, you should be proud of your work. I'll be picking up a premium edition this week.
Thanks! It's a thrill to finally seeing it available for anyone who wants to buy it. I can't wait to hold a copy of it in my hands.

I guess that means I'm announcing my retro-programming retirement! Well, if I happen to renege on this, I'll consider mysyelf a semi-retired retro-programming consultant :)