Computer Educator Games -- Which Sets?

History and Preservation Issues

Moderator: Moderators

Commodore Explorer
Vic 20 Newbie

Computer Educator Games -- Which Sets?

Post by Commodore Explorer »

When I was a kid, I attended a school which had a VIC 20 and several of the Computer Educator books. The Computer Educator books are discussed in this thread. Basically, they are sets of cassettes, with each set containing six educational programs or games on a particular subject.

There are three educational games from the Computer Educator sets I remember playing that I really enjoyed. I remember the titles of the games, but I can't remember which sets they are from. Could someone who owns a number of the Computer Educator sets please tell me which sets these are from?

1. VIC Game of Life -- This is a VIC 20 version of the familiar Game of Life which has been ported to many computer platforms.

2. VIC Mean Machine -- This program taught algebra. The player had to determine the coefficients to a function by inputting a number for the value of X and and seeing what the value of the function would be. It is probably in one of the Math Books, but as you can see from this post, there are three Math Books. Which one is it in?

3. VIC Artillery -- This program may have been designed to teach trigonometry or physics. It was for two players. Each player would have a cannon and would take turns firing at the other player's cannon by inputting an angle and a velocity.
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

I looked inside all 3 math albums and none appear to contain the titles you mentioned.

I also checked the VT-106 recreational pack and didn't find these titles there either.

Added edit:
VIC Artillery is located in Physics Book I.

VIC Life is in Elementary Science.
Commodore Explorer
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by Commodore Explorer »

Thanks for your help, Eslapion and Orion70.

Looking at the picture accompanying the auction for Math Book II, I can see that it does, in fact, contain VIC Mean Machine. (The cassette in the left column, middle row appears to be labelled "VIC Mean Machine Tutorial". Click "View larger picture" to see it. The other side of the cassette would be "VIC Mean Machine".)
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

Commodore Explorer wrote:Thanks for your help, Eslapion and Orion70.

Looking at the picture accompanying the auction for Math Book II, I can see that it does, in fact, contain VIC Mean Machine. (The cassette in the left column, middle row appears to be labelled "VIC Mean Machine Tutorial". Click "View larger picture" to see it. The other side of the cassette would be "VIC Mean Machine".)
You're right... I missed this one. VIC Mean machine is on the reverse side of the tutorial, I checked it on my own tape here.
bokvamme
Vic 20 Afficionado

Computer Educator series

Post by bokvamme »

How many was made?

I've got:

Computer Educator: Chemestry Book I (CES114)
Computer Educator: Elementary Science (CES116)
Computer Educator: English Book I (CES111)
Computer Educator: English Book II (CES112)
Computer Educator: French Book I (CES113)
Computer Educator: Geography Book I (CES118)
Computer Educator: Math I (VT108A)
Computer Educator: Math II (CES109)
Computer Educator: Math III (CES110)
Computer Educator: Physics Book I (CES115)
Computer Educator: Social Studies (CES119(

Looks like there may have been some more:

Math IV
History

Any other releases in this series?
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

History Book I is CES-117.

I also have CES-120F which is Français Livre I and Ral-Clan scanned Français Livre II which is CES-121F.

Math II was also made in French which is CES-109F (Math Livre II)
Be normal.
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

In England there were also the "Maths I, II", "Spelling" and sciences series by Ian Berg software and published by Commodore UK.
bokvamme
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by bokvamme »

ral-clan wrote:In England there were also the "Maths I, II", "Spelling" and sciences series by Ian Berg software and published by Commodore UK.
Yes, I've got lots of Ian Berg releases...