Is 32k expansion common among VIC-20 enthusiasts?

Discuss anything related to the VIC
siccoyote
Vic 20 Dabbler

Re: Is 32k expansion common among VIC-20 enthusiasts?

Post by siccoyote »

I like to see the amazing things people are able to do unexpanded, but I have a 32k/35k cart so I like the more expansive games that can put it more in competition with stuff like the speccy.

Not that bothered about using actual disks, even though I have a 1541, prefer to just load it up in the sd2iec. Wish more of the demos were adapted to use with that as my actual blank floppies keep dying.
Witzo
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Witzo »

$9400-$a000 for the extra 3K in a 35K expansion??
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

Witzo wrote:$9400-$a000 for the extra 3K in a 35K expansion??
To cut the story short: no, it's $0400..$0FFF. The same position the +3K RAM expansion takes on its own, as I already wrote.
Witzo
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Witzo »

Mike wrote:
Witzo wrote:$9400-$a000 for the extra 3K in a 35K expansion??
To cut the story short: no, it's $0400..$0FFF. The same position the +3K RAM expansion takes on its own, as I already wrote.
Thanks for pointing it out for me. The thing you already wrote is, I think, "To the same place it'd go on its own.". I misunderstood it at first, sorry if my question bothered you.

My earlier confusion was from forgetting to count that 32KB was already used up with just block 1, 2, 3 and 5; overlooking block 0.
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

No worries. :)

For example, my CGA panning viewer requires a +35K RAM expansion. I explicitly pointed out there, that merely +32K isn't sufficient:
Mike wrote:+35K RAM are required: yes, that means +24K in BLK1..3, +8K in BLK5 *and* +3K in RAM1..3!
Same thing applies to Kweepa's VIC-Doom. He also uses +35K, and that is the maximum RAM expansion regularily possible on the VIC-20 which doesn't rely on banking.

Following up on Gorf's questions: Some newer cartridges supply RAM also in I/O2 and I/O3 (most notably, Ultimem). This would allow for another extra +2K in the range $9800..$9FFF. Main issue: this address range is intended for use as registers for the respective cartridge firmware, and inconsiderate writes (and even reads!) may have unforeseeable side effects - harmless: 'just' resetting the VIC-20, more strange: re-mapping the extra RAM, eventually leading to crashes as running programs see their memory disappear, even more strange: overwriting preferences/options stored in NVRAM, show-stopping: erasing any Flash-Memory present, be it the cartridge firmware itself or attached SD-Cards, in case the cartridge happens to implement a Flash File System.

If programs ever begin to use that area regularily for the puny amount of an extra 2K RAM, this will lead to a huge amount of annoyance of IEEE-488, 40/80-Column, Mega-Cart, FE3 and Ultimem cartridge users. IMO, the only legit user of the I/O address range is the cartridge firmware.
siccoyote
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by siccoyote »

Witzo
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Witzo »

Mike wrote:No worries. :)
Pfew :)
I guess my 32KB expansion will suffice for most, and I'll use an emulator for the really big programs.
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

siccoyote wrote:Image
:D :) :D