Marking bad sectors on real floppy

History and Preservation Issues

Moderator: Moderators

Noizer
Vic 20 Devotee

Marking bad sectors on real floppy

Post by Noizer »

Happy new year to all!
Does anyone know on which old magazine issue (Compute!, Transactor, etc.) I could find that special program for disk drive to mark all bad sectors as occupied?
Edit: of course dealing with 1541...
Valid rule today as earlier: 1 Byte = 8 Bits
-._/classes instead of masses\_.-
Noizer
Vic 20 Devotee

Re: Marking bad sectors on real floppy

Post by Noizer »

No one replied?.. Am I getting old, while still using 1541, so probably no one have an idea? It‘s a very reliable piece of HW, the II types I had found on trash 20 years ago worked without any solder action, still now do.
I like the „brrrr“ noises when it runs.
Can you state somewhat for other HW? 😍
srowe
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by srowe »

I'm not sure how useful this would be, if a floppy has bad sectors it's probably going to get worse. I seem to remember just recovering what data I could and just dumping the floppy in the trash. I would imagine that many old floppies are now degrading, I rescued all my data off them a few years ago on to d64 images.
Noizer
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Noizer »

Thanks. Yes I‘m doing backups also, but had wanted that prg. Saw it once, couldn’t find
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

srowe wrote:I'm not sure how useful this would be, if a floppy has bad sectors it's probably going to get worse. I seem to remember just recovering what data I could and just dumping the floppy in the trash. I would imagine that many old floppies are now degrading, I rescued all my data off them a few years ago on to d64 images.
Besides, in the same amount of time I'd allow myself to do any research for a particular implementation of that tool, I could quite as well write it myself ... if I had any use for it. :mrgreen:
Noizer
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Noizer »

Hi rare Mike! No need to reinvent the wheel! The prg still out there, therefore my request
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

Noizer wrote:The prg still out there, therefore my request
There surely exists more than one implementation of that tool. And even if I'd go and code yet another one, in my eyes that would not necessarily count as reinventing the wheel: a good deal of the programs that had been pubished at the time were far from perfect, some of them even with blatant bugs. Writing it anew, without any cruft and cargo cult is my preferred approach in suchalike cases, but as I wrote, I do not have a 1541 in active duty anymore, so there ...
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

As a matter of fact, more than half the old floppies I received from a friend turned out to be defective in one or more sectors. I did prefer to trash them, remembering - as Srowe wrote - how unstable the defective ones are.
Noizer
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Noizer »

Today is a lucky day, I guess. 🤣
My experience tells me, in opposite as common, that marking any defective sector in BAM, is stable for at least more 10 years.
& Yes, again, the versed coder of us could design such a program while you’re reading this, but where is the didactic scope left, especially on this great Denial
?
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

Noizer wrote:Today is a lucky day, I guess. 🤣
My experience tells me, in opposite as common, that marking any defective sector in BAM, is stable for at least more 10 years.
& Yes, again, the versed coder of us could design such a program while you’re reading this, but where is the didactic scope left, especially on this great Denial
?
Go trolling elsewhere.