dead vic ram replacement

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

kaluce
Vic 20 Newbie

dead vic ram replacement

Post by kaluce »

So the ram on my Vic seems to be trashed, but I'm not sure exactly which chip it is. I was looking around for a replacement set of SRAM chips, both chips get hot, so there's at least one short. I saw on Atariage that 2148 chips seem to be compatible with the 2110s in use on the system, and run cooler with a newer HMOS process but that got me to thinking,

1. in the US is there a seller that sells either original chips, or good quality replacements for reasonable prices?
2. Would it be more 'economical' to replace the ram with something like either a bigger SRAM chip, like a built in ram expansion?

I was looking at the external cart options, so I know it's possible, but I'm just trying to figure out the best way of doing this.
srowe
Vic 20 Scientist

Re: dead vic ram replacement

Post by srowe »

Which model of VIC do you have? The earlier (2 pin power) model uses 2114s exclusively, the CR model uses a pair of 2016s and some 2114s.

I've got a memory tester (that I've still not finished), you can try that and it might identify the faulty region.

I've ordered 2114s off eBay from China, there was one faulty chip in the batch but the rest were good. Make sure you check the speed of the device you order.