Jeff's VIC 20 Book

Discuss anything related to the VIC
orion70
VICtalian

Re: Jeff's VIC 20 Book

Post by orion70 »

I must have missed much of the thread, i beg your pardon: is there a downloadable pdf of the book, so that poor EU people can peruse it on the PC or phone, or use a local print service? TIA
mythic66
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by mythic66 »

If you need an hand for the Canadian fellows, let me know how I can help you !
mythic66
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by mythic66 »

orion70 wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 9:54 am I must have missed much of the thread, i beg your pardon: is there a downloadable pdf of the book, so that poor EU people can peruse it on the PC or phone, or use a local print service? TIA
You can find it here

https://sleepingelephant.com/denial/VQRH09d.pdf
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

orion70 wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 9:54 am I must have missed much of the thread, i beg your pardon: is there a downloadable pdf of the book, so that poor EU people can peruse it on the PC or phone, or use a local print service? TIA
The page with the latest updates is here: https://jeffdaniels.itch.io/vic-20-quic ... e-handbook
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
doug_in_nc
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by doug_in_nc »

Yay, my copy arrived in perfect condition. The quality of the paper and printing is much better than I expected, really a great book all round. Thanks Jeff!
srowe
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by srowe »

My copy has just arrived in the UK, sailed through Customs. Really nice quality, will enjoy having a read after work.
Lechuck
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Lechuck »

My copy just arrived, in Madrid, Spain, in perfect conditions. Book looks really great!

Thanks for all your efforts, Jeff

Cheers
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Whew! Relief. Ok, let me respond to a few posts and then update you all on the current plan.
I will always keep an updated PDF in the first post of this thread. I want to encourage local printing.
mythic66 wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 4:55 pm If you need an hand for the Canadian fellows, let me know how I can help you !
This is very generous! I may ask one person in every country or continent to be a contact person. It would involve finding a local printer, and if you have 5 people in your contry interested, one could print the book for quite cheap locally and mail them using domestic mail. The whole price of the book comes down considerably!
mythic66 wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 4:57 pm You can find it here
Yep!
doug_in_nc wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 4:57 am Yay, my copy arrived in perfect condition. The quality of the paper and printing is much better than I expected, really a great book all round. Thanks Jeff!
Great to hear. THanks for being one of the test recipients! Now, with two examples, we have a sense of how long media mail takes within the US.
srowe wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 5:01 am My copy has just arrived in the UK, sailed through Customs. Really nice quality, will enjoy having a read after work.
...and 2 days later for the UK. Thanks, srowe!
Lechuck wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 7:33 am My copy just arrived, in Madrid, Spain, in perfect conditions. Book looks really great!
... and around the same time for Spain! Thanks, Lechuck and all the test subjects in the first mail run! (still waiting to hear from one more in Canada).

Ok, I have a plan now to make two versions of the book. The one I just mailed will be the a little higher, and there will be a dirt cheap version on Amazon that is available internationally and printed locally (they take care of everything).

I am redesigning the interior. They do not print on the inside cover, so those pages will have to move to the interior and a few gratuitous pages will be lost. I think this will be for the best.

The coil is available if you're willing to wait a bit longer and pay a little more, but Amazon will be a fast and cheap alternative. My only concern is the print quality will be a bit relaxed, but I hear others have bought reproduction guides this way and were not disappointed. I will update you when I get a sample copy from Amazon.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I reshaped the document for Amazon printing and got the proof today. Here are the results side by side with the first coil version.
IMG_6423.jpg
Not bad. Especially since the printing is so cheap.
IMG_6422.jpg
I had to move around some of the color images because they cannot print inside the cover. That's ok.
IMG_6424.jpg
Here we can see the fonts do not quite match (see the binary squares). Also, the grays are too light to read comfortably. I need to go back and make adjustments to the document.

Overall, I think I like this more than I thought. The paper is eay to write on; the book is very cheap and fast to produce worldwide (at a fraction of the cost, something like $5-6). Almost disposable. :)

I am still waiting for the LULU coil bound proof and will post the results here.
KnightFire
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by KnightFire »

Hey Jeff,

Literally just stumbled upon your work, I'm mainly a PET guy. I'm Canadian, what can I help you with? A coil purchase for Canada?

- -
Peace,
Matt

PS, I'm working on a proper PDF copy of the "Compendium" and have many questions for you.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

KnightFire wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 8:24 pm Hey Jeff,

Literally just stumbled upon your work, I'm mainly a PET guy. I'm Canadian, what can I help you with? A coil purchase for Canada?

- -
Peace,
Matt

PS, I'm working on a proper PDF copy of the "Compendium" and have many questions for you.
Hello, Matt!
Thanks for the support! The PDF is freely available in the first post of the thread and on itch.io (for more updated versions). I am still experimenting with printing options. Please feel free to contribute any suggestions for now, but I will reach out to you if there's something I can think of. Again, thanks!
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

threebooks.jpg
Finished versions for Amazon (center) and Lulu (right). Updated the front page to explain the differences.

The Lulu version (right) is the same as the Amazon but with a nice coil binding.
AndyH
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by AndyH »

That looks great. Having both amazon and lulu should allow pretty much anyone to get a copy no matter where in the world they are.
--
AndyH
HEWCO | Vic 20 blog
chysn
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by chysn »

I just ordered from Lulu, after first ordering and canceling the order with Amazon. It's more expensive, and will take longer, but I think the spiral binding will be well worth it.

https://www.lulu.com/shop/jeffrey-danie ... kmwq2.html
marco.bergomi
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by marco.bergomi »

My copy just arrived, in Lodi-Italy. TOP!!!

Thanks for all Jeff!

Bye.
Attachments
IMG_20230717_112226.jpg