Jeff's VIC 20 Book

Discuss anything related to the VIC
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Re: Jeff's VIC 20 Book

Post by Jeff-20 »

tokra wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 3:50 am From what I gather "global distribution" means that the book is available through Amazon and such:

https://help.lulu.com/en/support/soluti ... 4000255456

I think if you buy through Lulu directly the restrictions above do not apply for international customers. It's just if you want to publish the book with an ISBN more professionally.
You are correct! Thank you for this. Unfortunately, two-sided covers are still limited to comic books and magazines. I will look into their custom options now while I am waiting for a first run from my local printer.

Perhaps I can research local printers in each country and "franchinse" the distribution of the book if there is a demand for such. Otherwise, I don't mind mailing internationally.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
AndyH
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by AndyH »

Otherwise, I don't mind mailing internationally
Great, as said if local options or lulu don't pan out I'd be happy to go with that.
--
AndyH
HEWCO | Vic 20 blog
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

The project is with the printers now (with minor typography adjustments from the last draft). It will be a small run. I'll update when I get them in my hands. If all looks ok, I will begin maiingl them right away.
mathom
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by mathom »

Lechuck wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 1:56 am
AndyH wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 12:19 am That's a shame. I'd stilll like to buy a copy, so whatever can be worked out woukd be fine by me.
Same for me.
And for me.
...mathom...
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

cover.jpg
Relieved to finally receive the book today: just a small batch, enough to cover the requests.
interior1.jpg
I ordered the heaviest paper stock (the book is heavy!). I'm not yet sure about my choice to have glossy pages. I may consider matte if there's another print run.
interior128.jpg
interior30.jpg
interior88.jpg
interior106.jpg
backcov.jpg
I will take a few to the post office Monday to figure out shipping. I'll just get the exact weight with the padded envelops I bought earlier then print postage labels from home.

I expect the price with shipping to be near or below the LULU prices we discussed earlier in the thread ($20 plus shipping). I will set up a PayPal (and Venmo?) link with the exact calculation soon and begin mailing them as soon as possible.
AndyH
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by AndyH »

Looks great.
--
AndyH
HEWCO | Vic 20 blog
mathom
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by mathom »

That looks awesome! Since it will certainly be a well-used book, heavier/more durable is better.
...mathom...
srowe
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by srowe »

Jeff-20 wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 2:28 pm I will take a few to the post office Monday to figure out shipping. I'll just get the exact weight with the padded envelops I bought earlier then print postage labels from home.
It looks like the US Postal service still has a "Printed Material" rate (which should be cheaper). Make sure that the Customs Declarations also clearly say "Books, printed matter" as this will avoid having to pay import duty in the UK and some (but not all) of Europe.
Lechuck
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Lechuck »

Looks great!. Are you, finally,sending abroad or just in the US? (I guess LULU printing won’t have same quality)

Cheers
joshuadenmark
Big Mover

Post by joshuadenmark »

Congratulations, looks awesome 🤩
Kind regards, Peter.
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

AndyH wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 2:47 pmLooks great.
mathom wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 3:52 pm That looks awesome! Since it will certainly be a well-used book, heavier/more durable is better.
joshuadenmark wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 11:33 am Congratulations, looks awesome 🤩
Thanks, everyone! For the praise, but mostly for the support and all the work you put into this.
Lechuck wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 1:15 am Looks great!. Are you, finally,sending abroad or just in the US? (I guess LULU printing won’t have same quality)
Yes! I would not forget you. Worldwide distribution is mandatory. And I think this may be better than LULU in many ways.

I will calculate shipping variations Monday. I am guessing I may be able to get these out at a flat price (that includes shipping!) for less than LULU's for-profit model.
srowe wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 12:29 am It looks like the US Postal service still has a "Printed Material" rate (which should be cheaper). Make sure that the Customs Declarations also clearly say "Books, printed matter" as this will avoid having to pay import duty in the UK and some (but not all) of Europe.
Thanks for the tips. Yep, this is exactly how I hope to get the price to something reasonable.

If you already ordered one, please PM your mailing address for confirmation. From past experience, I do not want to assume your PayPal address is up to date. This will make it faster to calculate all of the different shipping options.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Shipping is crazy. Media rates only seem to be available for domestic mail. I am still investigating ways to bring the international price down.

Because of subtle variations in postage, tariffs, packaging requirements, etc., I think it may be better to "bundle" shipping with the price of the book. I've rounded the price to a nice simple number.

The truth is, some may end up paying a dollar more than the actual cost to print and ship the book; others a dollar or more less (any "overflow" would go to compensate the more difficult destinations). Should there be any "profit", it would go into paying for the website; reasonable losses, I'll try to absorb until prices need to be adjusted.

Another option is to charge the real price of the book and calculate shipping on an individual basis -- a more fair but slower process.

Here's what the final prices would be:
$20 usd US and Canada (shipping included)
[strike]$30 usd Outside of the US (shipping included)[/strike] (see update below)

:shock: That's about 40 CAD, 28 EUR, 24 GBP, 325 SEK... etc. As you know, conversions fluctuate. But SHIPPING IS INCLUDED in these prices.

Keep in mind, I am still researching ways to reduce this. I have a stack of paddded envelops and do not want to compromise on packaging, but I am still looking for cheaper "book shipping" options.
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Would the shipping include custom duties? I have experienced bad surprises in the past :|
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

orion70 wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 11:57 pm Would the shipping include custom duties? I have experienced bad surprises in the past :|
No, Jeff would have to register with IOSS and pay the yearly registration fee (expensive). So you're still going to have to pay Customs. Blame the EU there.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
AndyH
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by AndyH »

$30 sounds good. Even with any extra import duty at my end, I'd just like to get my hands on a nice copy. Please let me/us know when we can put the order in and where. :)
--
AndyH
HEWCO | Vic 20 blog