New release(?): Jeff's Little Programs

Basic and Machine Language

Moderator: Moderators

Jeff-20
Denial Founder

New release(?): Jeff's Little Programs

Post by Jeff-20 »

I've been making a lot of little programs lately (ask me why). Under 10 lines. I made a short, 9-line BASIC tool for myself: QS.prg (for Quick Scan). It reads and edits memory locations. The program displays a listing of 16 memory locations and values with a binary visualization.

How to use QS.prg
  • Navigation: Cursor keys move the pointer UP and DOWN the list. LEFT and RIGHT cursor keys skip to the next page of 16 locations.
  • Enter a new location: Press the LEFT ARROW key to INPUT a new memory location. While the RETURN key is depressed, LSB and MSB are displayed until the key is released. This is the 16 bit value as least significant byte and most significant byte.
  • Enter a new value (decimal): Press the RETURN key to input a new value to a location.
  • Enter a new value (binary): STOP the program, use the cursor keys to move up and edit any part of the binary visual. Minus is interpreted as 0 (bit OFF), and any other character is interpreted as 1 (bit ON). I find it helpful to use a different character when keeping track of what bits I have changed. Then press HOME and RETURN, so the on-screen code “GOTO9” is executed, placing the values in memory.
  • Continuous value display: Press 1 to display the value of one memory location in real time at the top of the screen. Press any shift key to exit this mode. I find this feature useful for reading the keyboard, ports, etc.
I have included a compact version of this program with only the most fundamental functions in 5 lines. The compact version (CS.prg) is designed to fit entirely on one screen when LISTed. I find this helpful when working with a program in memory. I can load CS.prg, LIST the program, LOAD a new program, and using the screen editor, quickly enter each line of CS.prg into memory (the lines are numbered from 90).

Like all of my programs, these simple tools are in BASIC and easily altered to fit your tastes.

FULL version: QS.prg

Compact version: CS.prg
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
chysn
Vic 20 Scientist

Re: New release(?): Jeff's Little Programs

Post by chysn »

Jeff-20 wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:32 pm I've been making a lot of little programs lately (ask me why).
Jeff, why have you been making a lot of little programs lately?
VIC-20 Projects: wAx Assembler, TRBo: Turtle RescueBot, Helix Colony, Sub Med, Trolley Problem, Dungeon of Dance, ZEPTOPOLIS, MIDI KERNAL, The Archivist, Ed for Prophet-5

WIP: MIDIcast BASIC extension

he/him/his
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Re: New release(?): Jeff's Little Programs

Post by Jeff-20 »

chysn wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:01 pm
Jeff-20 wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:32 pm I've been making a lot of little programs lately (ask me why).
Jeff, why have you been making a lot of little programs lately?
Funny you should ask. :D Since everyone is SOOOO curious, I explain here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9919
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.