VIC20 Cart Image for VICE?

You need an actual VIC.

Moderator: Moderators

Disc Master I
Vic 20 Amateur

VIC20 Cart Image for VICE?

Post by Disc Master I »

Hi everyone.

I just started getting back to using the VIC-20 after being away from it for many years. I recently got one of those "TheC64" systems and enjoyed the C64 games that I was trying out again. Then I thought about the good ol' VIC-20 and wanted to get back to using that system as it has some great games and sadly was a system I never actually owned back in the 80s.

Anyhow, I have my collection of cart images and as most of you probably know, many of these cart images come in multiple files. What I wanted to know is if there is a way to create a single cartridge file that includes the multiple files for an individual game cart such as "dkong.20" & "dkong.a0" and perhaps a cfg file that tells VICE what RAM expansion settings to use (if any). This way it would require the loading/mounting of a single file instead of mounting/loading the 1st file, then again for the second file,etc.

I did some research tonight, but there wasn't any information that specifically seemed to answer my question. I found an old Lemon64 post that I made many many years ago (2004 maybe) but that was about launching multi file carts from disk which required a small start.prg file that acted as sort of a config file to load the first dkong.a0 file, then the dkong.20 file and finally a sys64802 to reboot the system and launch the game.

Anyhow, I'm not sure if after all these years someone may have designed a method for zipping or merging a cart's multiple files into a single file. Perhaps even something like a singe game flashcart image that lets you copy the dkong files to it and then mount it in VICE as a cart and launch the system. If anyone has any info please let me know. For now, I can continue to make filename.d64 images with the cart files and the start.prg file to run them, but disk loading is much slower than an instant cart launch.

Thanks
John
Boray
Musical Smurf

Re: VIC20 Cart Image for VICE?

Post by Boray »

Not exactly answering your question, but with PRG Starter you can do this:
"Double click the non-A000 part. Then drag and drop the A000 part into the VICE window. Press Alt-R to start."
http://www.boray.se/software/prgstarter/index.html

On a real Vic-20 with DIRPLUS, you can do this:
"You can now easily autostart two-part cartridge images. Mark both files and then press Shift-M (for multiload)"
http://www.boray.se/commodore/dirplus/
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

Hi, John,
Disc Master I wrote:What I wanted to know is if there is a way to create a single cartridge file that includes the multiple files for an individual game cart [...]
This is a recurring question here on Denial. VICE offers support to attach multi-part cartridges via its command line, i.e. you'd have a batch file as an equivalent to your *.cfg file.

Other than that, there's no general *.crt (or *.vrt) format implemented - there had been a discussion about a rather simple method which however got dismissed as not being flexible enough (see here). Besides, even with such a format available someone would need to take the time to convert all known cartridge dumps into this format so it gets widespread use. ;)

For myself, I mostly settled on your method: putting a boot loader and the cartridge dump(s) into a *.d64 (example here), to use with full RAM expansion. That gives you the desired single file for each cartridge, starting it is as simple as dragging the *.d64 onto the VICE main window, and if you switch off "True Drive Emulation" in VICE (resp., set autostart to VDrive), that should be fast enough.

Greetings,

Michael
Disc Master I
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Disc Master I »

Thanks for the info. I've decided to continue making my d64 images with the start file that loads the various cart images then restarts the VIC-20 to launch the game. So far everything is going well. I'm up to 'C' in my collection of VIC-20 rom carts that I'm converting, so there is certainly a bit of a ways to go. :)

Can't wait to get these installed on my "TheC64" maxi or the soon to be released "TheVIC20" retro system. :)