Component Video

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

CraigAB69
Vic 20 Newbie

Component Video

Post by CraigAB69 »

Hi,
I am looking for a wiring diagram for the 5 pin din to component video.
I can't seem to find one, there seems to be plenty of threads about s-video.
So maybe that is the next step, but I have some bit laying around to quickly create a cable and get the Vic working with my SUN LCD.

Kind regards,
Craig
orion70
VICtalian

Re: Component Video

Post by orion70 »

It should be this:
Attachments
vic_video.gif
CraigAB69
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by CraigAB69 »

Hi,
Thanks for the responce, I am probably confused, which pins on the 5 pin DIN are connected Y, Pb, Pr?

Regards,
Craig
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

CraigAB69 wrote:Thanks for the responce, I am probably confused, which pins on the 5 pin DIN are connected Y, Pb, Pr?
The VIC-20 has NO component video to begin with! You are confusing composite (which the VIC-20 does out of the box) with component video.

There's an external RF modulator which provides a video signal to contemporary TV sets that only feature a TV tuner for input. The un-modulated composite video signal isn't ideal either, quality-wise, but there exist several variants of a S-Video mod that provides a separate Luma and Chroma signal (but which, again, is different from component video).
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Mike wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:22 am
CraigAB69 wrote:Thanks for the responce, I am probably confused, which pins on the 5 pin DIN are connected Y, Pb, Pr?
The VIC-20 has NO component video to begin with! You are confusing composite (which the VIC-20 does out of the box) with component video.
Me either :oops:
English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by English Invader »

Mike wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:22 am There's an external RF modulator which provides a video signal to contemporary TV sets that only feature a TV tuner for input. The un-modulated composite video signal isn't ideal either, quality-wise, but there exist several variants of a S-Video mod that provides a separate Luma and Chroma signal (but which, again, is different from component video).
I posted some positive results with composite with a specific Panasonic TV (TX-L32XM6B) in another thread recently (last post in thread):
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9805
CraigAB69
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by CraigAB69 »

Thanks for everyone that responded.
I decided to "bite the bullet" and just bought a RetroTink 2x pro.