11%
CLOSE the Off Topics section and MERGE the International section
11%

Total votes: 27

joshuadenmark
Big Mover

Re: Off topics section

Post by joshuadenmark »

Jeff-20 wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:04 pm Do you all think a pinned rules section might be enough to fix the problem?

Code: Select all

1. No Spamming or Advertising
2. No Abusing or Insulting Members
3. No Adult, Vulgar, Offensive, or other Contentious Content
4. No Political discussions
etc. etc.
A moderator could point to the specific violation and delete posts past or present. I admit I enjoyed learning about brexit from members closer to the issue or discussing the world cup predictions...
Let’s tryout, but I don’t think we should restrict the possible subjects, if we just can keep the discussion in a proper tone.
Kind regards, Peter.
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

OT has its uses away from the Vic20 but I agree, there needs to be less political and religious diatribe, it only leads to problems. Especially last few years, become even more divisive, and I don't just mean in the US.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
Vic20-Ian
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Vic20-Ian »

joshuadenmark wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:36 pm
Jeff-20 wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:04 pm Do you all think a pinned rules section might be enough to fix the problem?

Code: Select all

1. No Spamming or Advertising
etc. etc.
A moderator could point to the specific violation and delete posts past or present. I admit I enjoyed learning about brexit from members closer to the issue or discussing the world cup predictions...
Let’s tryout, but I don’t think we should restrict the possible subjects, if we just can keep the discussion in a proper tone.
Agree, but I suggest to relax 1. to No Spamming.

e.g. I am perfectly happy to see an "advert" / for sale for a cartridge or software for similar era systems in Off Topic e.g. C64, Vectrex
Vic20-Ian

The best things in life are Vic-20

Upgrade all new gadgets and mobiles to 3583 Bytes Free today! Ready
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I guess these rules should apply to the whole forum. My list was just a suggested starting point. Let's put together a rules list. What rules would you like to see. Violations will be deleted. Repeat violations will result in a ban.

Maybe this thread will have to be split to do it.

1. No Spamming
5. No Posting Copyright-infringing Material
6. (if we keep it) Threads and posts on social issues are to be limited to the Off Topics section? (if we keep it)
7. Common Sense Rules/Repeated problems. Any ongoing actions that make more work for the moderators and administrators or regularly annoy other members and require moderator action. If your membership is an ongoing detriment to our community then your membership may be terminated.

I don't know. Just slapping something together now.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
javierglez
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by javierglez »

You have off topic because it provides a means to communicate for people who are friends, as happens in Lemon. I'm astonished you are bound to remove it.
Some people above advocating closing it has posted more there this year than in any other theme.
This thread could be considered off topic itself as there's no reference to the vic.
And as someone already said, you can move there low quality discussions that usually originate in other subforums.
AndyH
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by AndyH »

It is a shame that we can't just say "be nice, respectful and helpful to others" and be done with it, but I guess this is the Internet.

I suppose you have to lay down the rules at some point, but it can get complicated. There will always be someone who either stretches their definition or warps them to their own viewpoint making more work for the moderators and a distraction for the rest of us.

I said earlier that the off-topic areas of the forum have little interest to me and the reason is partly because I use social media for that. It's a lot easier to self moderate on those platforms than in a traditional forum such as Denial.
--
AndyH
HEWCO | Vic 20 blog
Noizer
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Noizer »

The problem is caused by compulsively answering everything. Maybe just take a deep breath before you write something, as @Pixel suggests
Valid rule today as earlier: 1 Byte = 8 Bits
-._/classes instead of masses\_.-