Trouble getting White characters

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

Richardc64
Vic 20 Drifter

Trouble getting White characters

Post by Richardc64 »

Keyboard CTRL2 or PRINT "[CTRL2]" doesn't change character color: it stays what it was previously.

I can get white chrs by POKEing color RAM or location 646, but by keyboard or by PRINT doesn't produce White chars.

Has anyone seen this or know of a fix?
"I am endeavoring, ma'am, to create a mnemonic memory circuit... using stone knives and bearskins." -- Spock to Edith Keeler
groepaz
Vic 20 Scientist

Re: Trouble getting White characters

Post by groepaz »

Are you sure the CTRL key works at all?
I'm just a Software Guy who has no Idea how the Hardware works. Don't listen to me.
Richardc64
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by Richardc64 »

groepaz wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:44 am Are you sure the CTRL key works at all?
Every color key works with CTRL except White (2).
"I am endeavoring, ma'am, to create a mnemonic memory circuit... using stone knives and bearskins." -- Spock to Edith Keeler
chysn
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by chysn »

When you do something like

PRINT "{ctrl}+2"

does it show a reverse E, but just not change the color to white? Or does the reverse E fail to appear?

You're getting white without the keyboard, so it's probably not the VIC chip. The last time I had a weird inexplicable I/O problem (in my case, with the IEC), replacing the 6522s (VIAs) cleared it right up. They're pretty cheap, and easy to replace if socketed, and VIA2 is responsible for scanning the keyboard. And it is possible for them to misbehave in ways that don't bring down the whole VIC.
VIC-20 Projects: wAx Assembler, TRBo: Turtle RescueBot, Helix Colony, Sub Med, Trolley Problem, Dungeon of Dance, ZEPTOPOLIS, MIDI KERNAL, The Archivist, Ed for Prophet-5

WIP: MIDIcast BASIC extension

he/him/his
Richardc64
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by Richardc64 »

Just my luck it would be the VIA that isn't socketed.

Reverse E doesn't appear. That key combination has no effect at all.
chysn wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:16 pm When you do something like

PRINT "{ctrl}+2"

does it show a reverse E, but just not change the color to white? Or does the reverse E fail to appear?

You're getting white without the keyboard, so it's probably not the VIC chip. The last time I had a weird inexplicable I/O problem (in my case, with the IEC), replacing the 6522s (VIAs) cleared it right up. They're pretty cheap, and easy to replace if socketed, and VIA2 is responsible for scanning the keyboard. And it is possible for them to misbehave in ways that don't bring down the whole VIC.
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

Richardc64 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:42 pm Just my luck it would be the VIA that isn't socketed.

Reverse E doesn't appear. That key combination has no effect at all.
I take it, pressing '2' by itself works fine. Pressing SHIFT-2 will give you a quote and pressing CTRL with numbers 3 to 8 will provide the respective color.

Possibly, pressing CTRL-9 and CTRL-0 will activate and deactivate reverse characters.

Only the specific combination CTRL-2 will not turn the cursor to white and it will not provide the special character for white when used in quote mode.

If all the above is true then there may be a problem with the BASIC ROM.
Be normal.
Richardc64
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by Richardc64 »

Correct, eslapion, 2 alone works, shifted gives quote, and CTRL-9 and -0 turn RVS on & off.
eslapion wrote: If all the above is true then there may be a problem with the BASIC ROM.
Luck is not with me for this possibility, either: Only the Kernal ROM is socketed.
srowe
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by srowe »

Key mapping is done by code in the region of $E600, that's in the KERNAL, not BASIC, ROM.
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

srowe wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:52 am Key mapping is done by code in the region of $E600, that's in the KERNAL, not BASIC, ROM.
I stand corrected... possible Kernal ROM problem then.
Be normal.
Noizer
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Noizer »

By all the unsocket chips finally you need a new vicy
Valid rule today as earlier: 1 Byte = 8 Bits
-._/classes instead of masses\_.-