Vic 20 Scientist

The Vic-20 launching Oct 2020

Post by beamrider »

beamrider
Vic 20 Scientist

Re: The Vic-20 launching Oct 2020

Post by beamrider »

From facebook post...

"THE WONDER COMPUTER OF THE 1980s RETURNS!

Full sized version of the 1980’s home computer THEVIC20 available October 2020

Another timeless classic is being given a new lease of life with the launch of a full-sized version of the VIC-20. Developed by Retro Games Ltd. and distributed by Koch Media, THEVIC20 is a fully licensed reimagining of the 80’s bestselling home computer.

Following its launch in 1981, the original VIC-20 home computer went on to become the first computer of any kind to sell one million units, and even now still holds a special place in the hearts of its former owners. Almost 40 years later and it’s back again!

The full sized THEVIC20 has a full working keyboard, comes with an updated micro switched classic joystick which plugs into one of the four USB ports, and connects to any modern TV via HDMI. It features three switchable modes – boot straight into original VIC-20 BASIC , C64 BASIC or switch to the Games Carousel and play one of the 64 built in games in 50Hz or 60Hz, with optional CRT Filters/Screen modes.

As well as the classic VIC-20 and C64 BASIC modes, the pre-installed 64 games include such VIC-20 and C64 classics as - Arcadia and Laser Zone (VIC-20), California Games, Paradroid and Boulder Dash (C64); plus all new additions like Metagalactic Llamas, Subspace Striker, Mega Vault and Gridrunner (VIC-20); topped off with the recently released shoot ‘em up Galencia (C64) and classic text adventure Planet of Death (C64) to let you relive the glory days of true keyboard gaming! You can even load and save your own VIC-20 and C64 games via USB flash drive as well as access multi-disc titles.

“We are really excited to be working with Koch Media once more to bring you even more of the most loved retro games ever on two of the most iconic home computers of all time combined in this latest incarnation of THEC64 range, this time with full working keyboard and a classic VIC-20 style”, said Paul Andrews, Retro Games’ Managing Director.

THEVIC20 variant of the THEC64 will hit the shops on October 23rd 2020 with a suggested retail price of £109.99/€119.99.

Pre-order here - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08BSMKXKV

Trailer here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A28tvIHcdGg

Included in the box with THEVIC20 is a 1.5m (5 foot) wired USB micro switch classic joystick (with added function keys for game specific modes), a USB charging cable and USB AC power adapter, and an HDMI cable (both 1.2m (4 foot) in length) allowing full compatibility with all modern TVs. Other features include a save game function, selectable 50Hz or 60Hz screen refresh and pixel filter options such as pixel perfect, CRT and scanline emulation. Also upload your own files, games and firmware revisions via USB flash drive.

THEVIC20 INCLUDED GAMES LIST

VIC-20

Abductor, Andes Attack, Arcadia, Bewitched, Blitzkrieg, Brainstorm, Catcha Snatcha, Connect 4, Encounter, Frantic, Frog Chase, Gridrunner, Harvester, Headbanger’s Heaven, Hell Gate, Laser Zone, Martians, Matrix, Mega Vault, Metagalactic Llamas Battle at the Edge of Time, Psychedelia, Snake, Starquest, Subspace Striker, Tank Battle, Traxx, Wacky Waiters, Zor

C64

Alleykat, Bear Bovver, Boulder Dash, California Games, Chips Challenge, Cyberdyne Warrior, Cybernoid II, Destroyer, Firelord, Galencia Mini, Gribbly’s Day Out, Heartland, Impossible Mission, IO, Iridis Alpha, Jumpman, Mega Apocalypse, Nebulus, Netherworld, Paradroid, Pitstop II, Planet of Death, Robin of the Wood, Speedball 2, Spindizzy, Street Sports Baseball, Street Sports Basketball, Summer Games II, Super Cycle, Sword of Fargoal, Temple of Apshai Trilogy, The Arc of Yesod, Uridium, Winter Games, World Games, Zynaps"
English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by English Invader »

I feel disappointed that they did this without consulting the Denial community. We could have brought so much more to the table; a better selection of games, a wealth of homebrews, documentation about the history of the system and we would have happily shared that information out of love for the system.
Vic20-Ian
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Vic20-Ian »

It would have been nice to include some Denial members titles but at least it is coming to market and will have a nice looking keyboard.

Adding games is not a problem on the C64 Mini so it won't be on here too.

Having the C64 feature is a nice bonus too. Better in the Vic20 case with a C64 upgrade than a C64 case with a Vic20 game ;-)

Edit - ordered immediately after posting ;-)
Last edited by Vic20-Ian on Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vic20-Ian

The best things in life are Vic-20

Upgrade all new gadgets and mobiles to 3583 Bytes Free today! Ready
beamrider
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by beamrider »

It's a slight disappointment, but to be expected with this kind of thing. I believe you can customise the carousel now, so not really an issue.
beamrider
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by beamrider »

Ordered!

Glad I held back on buying a TheC64
Vic20-Ian
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Vic20-Ian »

beamrider wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:44 am Ordered!

Glad I held back on buying a TheC64
Ditto - lol
Vic20-Ian

The best things in life are Vic-20

Upgrade all new gadgets and mobiles to 3583 Bytes Free today! Ready
chysn
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by chysn »

My biggest complaint about VICE is that the keyboard isn't the same as the VIC-20's keyboard. Obviously, this isn't VICE's fault. It would be kind of nice to have an emulator with the right keyboard, provided there's a good way to transfer stuff over, like USB.

Although, these things have never been available in the U.S. anyway.
VIC-20 Projects: wAx Assembler, TRBo: Turtle RescueBot, Helix Colony, Sub Med, Trolley Problem, Dungeon of Dance, ZEPTOPOLIS, MIDI KERNAL, The Archivist, Ed for Prophet-5

WIP: MIDIcast BASIC extension

he/him/his
English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by English Invader »

beamrider wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:38 am It's a slight disappointment, but to be expected with this kind of thing. I believe you can customise the carousel now, so not really an issue.
I disagree. I like to think of these commercial emulation packages as a collector's piece and a tribute to the system it emulates; that means a fixed set of games that define the system and I believe they could have done this a lot better with support from the Denial community. I don't buy one of these replicas with any intention of adding more software; either by hacking the hardware or by using a pre-installed storage facility. I boycotted the SNES mini because it didn't include Pilotwings (a game I consider to be essential both in terms of its quality and its significance in the console's history) and I find the list of games for TheVIC-20 to be depressingly limited compared to everything I've experienced over the past 11 years. This isn't the introduction I want for people who are new to the system.

The facility to add more games is useful to new users (especially with our homebrew community) but more needed to be done to introduce newcomers to everything the system has to offer. There is a lot of stuff they won't find on their own and won't even know to look for.
Noizer
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Noizer »

English Invader wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:10 pm
beamrider wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:38 am It's a slight disappointment, but to be expected with this kind of thing. I believe you can customise the carousel now, so not really an issue.
I disagree. I like to think of these commercial emulation packages as a collector's piece and a tribute to the system it emulates; that means a fixed set of games that define the system and I believe they could have done this a lot better with support from the Denial community. I don't buy one of these replicas with any intention of adding more software; either by hacking the hardware or by using a pre-installed storage facility. I boycotted the SNES mini because it didn't include Pilotwings (a game I consider to be essential both in terms of its quality and its significance in the console's history) and I find the list of games for TheVIC-20 to be depressingly limited compared to everything I've experienced over the past 11 years. This isn't the introduction I want for people who are new to the system.

The facility to add more games is useful to new users (especially with our homebrew community) but more needed to be done to introduce newcomers to everything the system has to offer. There is a lot of stuff they won't find on their own and won't even know to look for.
I totally agree with English Invader. What do they think who they are ?! The evolution of Vic20 coding in recent years has not been respected and taken into account at all!!
The fact that they didn't ask Denial simply shows that they have no idea.
I have to admit that I owned a THEC64 myself some time ago, but not for the games, just to finally see clean VIC 20 pixels on an HDMI screen without having to use a PC as an emulator or a SuperVIDEO hack. Only 5V are required. Good electricity consumption.
But I think for us from the hard core, the device can be useful for something. Of course, it really doesn't show the younger people the potential of vicy.
It's a shame
Valid rule today as earlier: 1 Byte = 8 Bits
-._/classes instead of masses\_.-
beamrider
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by beamrider »

I take the point, but I still think it's worth having though - it might be the only Vic-20 you can use one day either because of convenience, short supply of Vic chips etc.
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

Looking at the features, this seems to be just a TheC64 maxi with VIC-20 color/look. It does exactly the same thing.
Be normal.
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

I have to get this!

jaja.jpg
"A slave is one who waits for someone to come and free him." -- Ezra Pound
groepaz
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by groepaz »

Of course, it really doesn't show the younger people the potential of vicy.
And none of them would give a damn even if it did
I'm just a Software Guy who has no Idea how the Hardware works. Don't listen to me.
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Not yet available in Italy :(

Anyway, concerning the missing contribution by denialers and the appeal towards younger generations: we could always produce a ready-to-go collection of programs to be used via USB, with the appropriate documentation, so that everyone can really know how the Vic evolevd in time. Some recent games and tools really deserve this.