The Vic-20 launching Oct 2020

Discuss anything related to the VIC
CanadaPhil
Vic 20 Drifter

Re: The Vic-20 launching Oct 2020

Post by CanadaPhil »

And here is another vid by another Brit who also likes to ramble on. Haha...

CanadaPhil
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by CanadaPhil »

Here is another..

tonyrocks
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by tonyrocks »

man, I can't keep up with the Commodores...
majikeyric
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by majikeyric »

It seems now amazon.co.uk allows worldwide delivering, just pre-ordered 8)
mathom
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by mathom »

Amazon UK just took my order also. STOKED! Now I just have to tell the wife. :shock:
...mathom...
majikeyric
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by majikeyric »

mathom wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:04 pm Now I just have to tell the wife. :shock:
Good luck mate! :lol:
CanadaPhil
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by CanadaPhil »

Yes, Amazon UK began accepting pre-orders on the VIC for international customers for the last few weeks. Initiallly, they were barring non-EU buyers on the VIC listing.

They still however are blocking ordering on the "64 Maxi" to North American Amazon customers?

PS: it sure won't be cheap though.... After factoring exchange, import and shipping charges your final tally will be approaching $300 Cdn!

OUCH!
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I... MUST... HAVE... ONE... !
precious.jpeg
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
chysn
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by chysn »

We're planning a trip to Ireland next summer, COVID permitting, so I'll try to score one there.

But there's 60% of me that's like, "Just buy another CR VIC-20, for heaven's sake."
VIC-20 Projects: wAx Assembler, TRBo: Turtle RescueBot, Helix Colony, Sub Med, Trolley Problem, Dungeon of Dance, ZEPTOPOLIS, MIDI KERNAL, The Archivist, Ed for Prophet-5

WIP: MIDIcast BASIC extension

he/him/his
Noizer
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Noizer »

chysn wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:59 pm We're planning a trip to Ireland next summer, COVID permitting, so I'll try to score one there.

But there's 60% of me that's like, "Just buy another CR VIC-20, for heaven's sake."
Nice idea a trip to Ireland. But why you think you could get one there? Probably then it‘s sold out.
I owned some time ago THE64 and believe me, the Vic 20 emulation is very good.
At 100% I would buy both systems,CR and THEVIC-20 😍
Valid rule today as earlier: 1 Byte = 8 Bits
-._/classes instead of masses\_.-
chysn
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by chysn »

Noizer wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:24 am But why you think you could get one there?
I don't, but that's where in Europe I'll be.
VIC-20 Projects: wAx Assembler, TRBo: Turtle RescueBot, Helix Colony, Sub Med, Trolley Problem, Dungeon of Dance, ZEPTOPOLIS, MIDI KERNAL, The Archivist, Ed for Prophet-5

he/him/his
English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by English Invader »

chysn wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:59 pm We're planning a trip to Ireland next summer, COVID permitting, so I'll try to score one there.

I think you should listen to that 60%. If you take away all the hype, TheVIC-20 is just an emulator. It's a nice collector's piece and a tribute to the system but in practical terms it's not giving you anything you don't already have.

If you have a longing for the real hardware, you owe it to yourself to make it happen.
chysn
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by chysn »

English Invader wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:58 pm I think you should listen to that 60%. If you take away all the hype, TheVIC-20 is just an emulator. It's a nice collector's piece and a tribute to the system but in practical terms it's not giving you anything you don't already have.

If you have a longing for the real hardware, you owe it to yourself to make it happen.
You're probably right. The value of an emulator to me is as part of a development toolchain. I run a build script that assembles my code and then generates a .prg file in VICE's virtual device directory, and I can go from assembly to testing in seconds. And there's nothing special about the hardware needed for this process. I can do it with almost any computer made in the last ten years, maybe more.

But it all needs to wind up on a real VIC-20 in the end. If my VIC chip dies, that's that. So my choices to buffer against this kind of loss are to get a TheC64 (or, less likely, a TheVIC20), or to get a spare VIC-20.

Also, I've got dozens of cartridges.

he/him/his
AndyH
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by AndyH »

They describe it as a special edition 'TheC64' so don't know how many they are making, time will tell if we see these collect dust in the bargin bins or if they become as rare as hens teeth. I have one on pre-order and really looking forward to it.

They are nicely made and lovely to use. While I have several real machines and I also have a TheC64 already, you gotta go with TheVic20 really haven't you ;) Not sure if I will keep TheC64 once the Vic version turns up. I know they don't appeal to everyone, although I do find it puzzling by some very negative comments (not necessarily here) - just don't buy one if it's not your thing.

What I like most about TheC64 is the convenience coupled with a proper, nice to use and accurately laid out keyboard. The build quality is decent, not a cheap-o-wish knock-off and the price (for me) is just in the sweet spot. While I won't ever put my main real Vic 20 away, TheVic20 will save on some wear and tear and a great experience for just playing the games. With just a HDMI cable, USB power cable and a joystick plugged in and being very light weight, it makes it easy to store under my desk when not in use. And boy did they get it right putting a Pet style-looking keyboard on there.
--
AndyH
HEWCO | Vic 20 blog
ramidavis
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by ramidavis »

I have the North American version of THEC64 on pre-order :D .
Other then the Vic20 shell, i think its the same as the THEVic20 version.