Megacart is back

Vic 20 Item Exchange

Moderator: Moderators

akator
Vic 20 Afficionado

Re: Megacart is back

Post by akator »

Dagnabbit, I'm definitely on the waiting list to buy a Mega Cart but my email changed after my divorce a few years ago. Anyone have any suggestions?
English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by English Invader »

akator wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:59 am Dagnabbit, I'm definitely on the waiting list to buy a Mega Cart but my email changed after my divorce a few years ago. Anyone have any suggestions?
Brian's username on this forum is 6502Dude. If you send a PM with your updated details, the forum will send him an e-mail notifying him that he has a PM and he might get the message that way. He hasn't posted here for quite a long time.

That's the best I can come up with. I wouldn't feel comfortable giving out his e-mail address.
CanadaPhil
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by CanadaPhil »

English Invader wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:38 am
akator wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:59 am Dagnabbit, I'm definitely on the waiting list to buy a Mega Cart but my email changed after my divorce a few years ago. Anyone have any suggestions?

That's the best I can come up with. I wouldn't feel comfortable giving out his e-mail address.
Honestly, you should NOT even have done that!

NO ONE is "definitely" on a list for anything!

It is what it is.

Brian endured enough online abuse in the past.

To anyone here..... PLEASE DO NOT give out Brian's info!! Just leave him to do his thing as he wants to instead of having him bombarded with messages!
akator
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by akator »

CanadaPhil wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:15 am Honestly, you should NOT even have done that!

NO ONE is "definitely" on a list for anything!

It is what it is.

Brian endured enough online abuse in the past.

To anyone here..... PLEASE DO NOT give out Brian's info!! Just leave him to do his thing as he wants to instead of having him bombarded with messages!
OK, since you know more about this than the rest of us, kindly be *constructive* and post or message a suggestion to me about what you think I should do.
English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

akator wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:55 pm OK, since you know more about this than the rest of us, kindly be *constructive* and post or message a suggestion to me about what you think I should do.
I think that was clarified in the "It is what it is" statement.

In my book, a username on a public forum where the person is registered as a member is not the same as a private e-mail address and if Brian doesn't want to engage with the forum anymore he doesn't have to.

As far as I know, Brian has never received any abuse from this forum and pretty much gets the VIP treatment here. Everyone is very respectful and grateful for his contribution to the community.
akator
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by akator »

English Invader wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:31 am In my book, a username on a public forum where the person is registered as a member is not the same as a private e-mail address and if Brian doesn't want to engage with the forum anymore he doesn't have to.

As far as I know, Brian has never received any abuse from this forum and pretty much gets the VIP treatment here. Everyone is very respectful and grateful for his contribution to the community.
I agree, a forum message is not the same as a private email. Likewise, I never experienced anyone disrespecting Brian here. He is highly regarded here in the VIC community, as all hardware and software contributors should be. However, since it was made clear not to contact him I will not.

As far as "definitely on the list," I should have said "was definitely on the list." I have an order verification email from 2013 and an private email with Brian a year later. Of course, that doesn't matter if Brian is no longer using the previous order requests or has developed a new fulfillment system. Or maybe he just feels like making 10 of them and is only going to sell them to his friends. Clearly it's his choice. However, if the old order queue is still valid I would be definitely on that list unless there was a data loss or error.
Centallica
Pinballer

Post by Centallica »

I think the Centallica Easter Egg should be updated with a new woman but wearing a Covid facemask to mark this crazy year and spice things up a bit :D

Just saying 8)
Mikam73
2049er

Post by Mikam73 »

I have one of early versions and if there’s updated version coming I like to order one too.
6502dude
megacart

Post by 6502dude »

I have been away from this forum for a long while due to demands of day job and other issues.

I reached out to a number of people via e-mail in early summer to confirm orders.
Order queue will be respected. So, not taking any new orders at this time.

I appreciate everyone's patience and continued interest in Vic-20 MegaCart.
I will restart fulfilling orders at start of November.

Stay safe & virus free!
Image Mega-Cart: the ultimate cartridge for your Commodore Vic-20
16KVIC20
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by 16KVIC20 »

I bought my Mega Cart quite some years ago, it wasn't one of the first, and it wasn't one of the last, but what it is, is GREAT!
This is simply the best single item that I have ever bought for the VIC 20, or actually for any of my 8 Bit computers. I still can't quite believe that such a thing is possible, and that basically fans, many years later, developed it, and one man assembled them all. Incredible.

The closest thing I have for functionality that matches the Mega Cart is the Turbo MMC for the BBC MIcro, that knocks the SD2IEC into a cocked hat, and is almost as fast as the Mega Cart. Whenever I'm looking for modern storage solutions for old computers, the Mega Cart is the benchmark that I use. Why has nobody ever made a C64 version?

Anybody that Brian is now making one for are in for a real treat.
English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

16KVIC20 wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:50 pm The closest thing I have for functionality that matches the Mega Cart is the Turbo MMC for the BBC MIcro, that knocks the SD2IEC into a cocked hat, and is almost as fast as the Mega Cart.
A Gotek floppy emulator also works very well with the Beeb and has the added benefit of working with the DFS, ADFS and Watford file systems instead of introducing a new file system that excludes the user from the original file systems. Disk images load in the space of a few seconds and you have the added benefits of being able to run both SSDs and DSDs, change disks while running software and (particularly useful if you're a Linux user) transfer files from the PC over to the Beeb with a USB stick through the standard desktop file system without having to run special software to interact with an image file (it's a pain to either dig out the old XP laptop or compile from source to run an equivalent program on Linux).

Both are great solutions for the Beeb but the Gotek offers so much more and lets the user experience the Beeb in the real way. One minor drawback of having a Mega-Cart is that I'm more accustomed to the Mega-Cart menu on boot than the good old cyan, white and blue :( .
Noizer
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Noizer »

16KVIC20 wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:50 pm (...) Whenever I'm looking for modern storage solutions for old computers, the Mega Cart is the benchmark that I use. Why has nobody ever made a C64 version?
Well, unnecessary. Because of
http://wiki.icomp.de/wiki/Chameleon
Maybe better than Turbo MMC? 🤔
Valid rule today as earlier: 1 Byte = 8 Bits
-._/classes instead of masses\_.-
16KVIC20
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by 16KVIC20 »

Noizer wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:10 am
16KVIC20 wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:50 pm (...) Whenever I'm looking for modern storage solutions for old computers, the Mega Cart is the benchmark that I use. Why has nobody ever made a C64 version?
Well, unnecessary. Because of
http://wiki.icomp.de/wiki/Chameleon
Maybe better than Turbo MMC? 🤔
Mmm. Interesting Noizer, but I think I'd still prefer a C64 Mega Cart, even if it had to be an SD card solution. Can SD cards be read via the Cartridge Slot (with various electrickery bits inbetween)?
Having seen that, I think I still prefer the Turbo MMC to that Chameleon thing, although technically, I think mine is Smart MMC, but it seems to do the same thing.
Mega Cart is still the best!