Memory expansion cart - DIP switches

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

obermotz
Vic 20 Newbie

Memory expansion cart - DIP switches

Post by obermotz »

Hello,

recently I got hold of a VIC20 32KB expansion cart with 6 DIP switches and no description whatsoever. Tried to google for info on this specific cart but nothing usable came up. The cart looks like this:

Any info on the DIP settings would be greatly appreciated.
srowe
Vic 20 Scientist

Re: Memory expansion cart - DIP switches

Post by srowe »

This one is slightly different, having an EPROM as well. Might be worth a try

https://www.forum64.de/index.php?thread ... -2k-eprom/
obermotz
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by obermotz »

Thanks for the link, will check it right away. In the meantime I run a memory checker and it found some problems (it seems that the current dip settings enable all 32K on the system and sorry about the quality of the pic, the banding drove my phone crazy):

Are these problems fixable by replacing the RAM chips on the cart (seems to be easy enough as the chips are socketed)? The test runs without any issues when I remove the cart.
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

obermotz wrote: I r[a]n a memory checker and it found some problems.
Nice to see my RAM check in action with a DRAM based cart. :)
The test runs without any issues when I remove the cart.
No wonders. It's only supposed to check external RAM. ;)
Are these problems fixable by replacing the RAM chips on the cart (seems to be easy enough as the chips are socketed)?
It's a quite strange pattern shown in the crosstalk check.

I suppose BLK5 is not tested, as then there would be crosstalk between BLK5 and RAM1..3. The cart only supports the 3K range by mirroring it with BLK5.

The "!" signs in the diagonal, which would normally indicate inter-block crosstalk could be a sign that the refresh logic of the DRAM is on the brink. All earlier checks read back (and thus check) the data quite shortly after it was written. The cross-talk check however requires a page to hold its data for quite a long time. When the refresh logic is faulty, some cells might change their value in-between, which then is indicated.

What exactly happens may be highlighted by the RAM2 <-> RAM3 crosstalk. Some writes in $0800..$0BFF have influence on $0C00..$0FFF and vice versa. When this also happens in a similar way with addresses in BLK1..3, you get that picture.

Unfortunately, that won't be easy to fix. You can try exchanging the DRAMs, but if the DRAM select and refresh logic has lost its timing over the years, without a schematic and scope there's not much you can do.

Edit: http://sleepingelephant.com/ipw-web/bul ... 2&start=41

Try setting all S1..S6 to ON. This should disable RAMx (i.e. $0400..$0FFF) but you then get the +32K RAM in $2000..$7FFF and $A000..$BFFF. Hopefully without any mirroring/cross-talk. Please re-do the check and tell the result.

Edit 2: It also appears, that S6 in not fully "home". Also, before leaving S1..S6 in the ON position, toggle the switches a few times (by moving them left/right fully). This might remove oxidized layers which have built up in the time.
obermotz
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by obermotz »

Thanks for the suggestions - after fiddling with the switches the cart succesfully passed the test:

On the other hand, I only noticed your edited response earlier today and had ordered the Penultimate+ cartridge yesterday - 1st world problems ahoy :D