VIC-20 Video Issues

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

Agent X
Vic 20 Newbie

VIC-20 Video Issues

Post by Agent X »

I've got a NTSC CR VIC-20, serial P1582955 that has video issues after 10 minutes or so of use. The video signal will drop out and come back a few times and then not come back at all. If I reset or restart the machine then it will run for about a 20 seconds or less before it starts to do it again. If I leave it off for a while and come back it will go for another 10 minutes or so before the issue reappears.

I have a Penultimate cartridge create by "The Future was 8-bit" and was using that when the issue started. However, I also tried an Avenger cartridge I have just to eliminate the Penultimate being the problem. However, the behavior was also present with Avenger.

I spent a good 10-15 minutes messing around in BASIC but could not make the issue reappear that way.

I have felt all the chips. The 6560 does feel hot but it's not like I can't keep my finger on it. Not sure if this is the issue or if there are other more likely suspects...

I am using a modern day power supply made by Ray Carlsen.

Thanks in advance for any shared wisdom.
Agent X
Vic 20 Newbie

Re: VIC-20 Video Issues

Post by Agent X »

OK... I'm an idiot.

It turned out to be a bad composite connection on the LCD monitor I picked up from Goodwill... go figure. I hooked it up to a different monitor and all is well.

Crisis averted!
joshuadenmark
Big Mover

Re: VIC-20 Video Issues

Post by joshuadenmark »

Nooo you’re not an idiot, you solved the problem and that’s great 😃
Kind regards, Peter.