Thoughts on the Dragon 32 and 64?

Other Computers and Game Systems

Moderator: Moderators

20questions
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Thoughts on the Dragon 32 and 64?

Post by 20questions »

And while we're on the subject, the listings for dragon user will not work on the 64. I typed in millipede and got a blank green screen. Or maybe it's an emulation error. Regardless, it's annoying
Bedroom coder=rock star
modern coder= pop star
i'd rather be a rock star than a pop start 8)
cbmeeks
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Re: Thoughts on the Dragon 32 and 64?

Post by cbmeeks »

As an avid collector of "vintage" computers (I think I have 90+ of them), I'm a fan of the Dragon series. However, I don't own any! I wished I did.

I think one mistake many people make is they compare the computers too much. You can't discuss COMPUTER X without someone saying it's crap compared to COMPUTER Y. It's all water under the bridge now...so who cares how crappy/great they were. :-)

I do have several Tandy Color computers which I think the Dragons are very similar to. Or, more accurately, I think the Dragon and Color Computers are more similar to the 6809 reference design.
Cat; the other white meat.
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

I totally agree with you! Otherwise, I wouldn't have been hunting for a cheap Sinclair ZX81 lately :)
cbmeeks
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by cbmeeks »

I obtained a ZX81 in box with manuals and 16KiB RAM expansion. I really need to give it some time. Especially since I also found a 70's B/W TV with built in Pong (and paddles) at a thrift store for $7. :-)

Old TV like that is just begging for a B/W computer.
Cat; the other white meat.
16KVIC20
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by 16KVIC20 »

I have a Dragon 32 that my Brother In Law gave me a few years ago. It only had 8K workingwhen I got it though. Luckily a helpful chap fixed it back up to 32K, and all is good again.
Even in 1982 I thought they seemed like a nice machine, but finally getting my hands on one, they're a decent machine, only let down in a few areas:

1. The Colour Palette is attrocious
2. There is no resident facility for lower case, so if you want it you have to buy a daughterboard or make your own from User Defined Graphics.
3.The decision made by Dragon Data to severely restrict software development and sales to almost one company - Microdeal IIRC. This must have badly limited the machine's ability to deliver in a key market of the time.

On the plus side, it has a nice keyboard, some good sockets/expansion ports, and a great case. With the lid off, if you are of a mind too, it is perhaps the ideal 8 Bit development computer as the case is mostly empty! I reckon it's even more expandable than the BBC Micro.

Cyrus Chess is perhaps my favourite 8 Bit version of Chess, it has beaten Sargon II nearly every time I have pitched it against it.