Commodore News Page closes doors :(

Discuss anything related to the VIC
Mike
Herr VC

Commodore News Page closes doors :(

Post by Mike »

Sad news on CNP with the latest weekly update:
Commodore News Page wrote:No more news...

There will no more news updates on this web page. The reason is that the web page was only visited by a couple of people a day in the last couple of months. I want to thank everyone who visited the web page in the past.
That's really too bad. :( I had bookmarked the site, and Richard came up with reliable info for the C= 8-Bit and Amiga community on every Friday for over 10 years, including what had been released recently here on Denial, software and hardware. That engagement will be missed sorely.

I hope Richard keeps watching the Commodore 8-bit and Amiga community, and maybe some time in the future will come back.
orion70
VICtalian

Re: Commodore News Page closes doors :(

Post by orion70 »

I used to read Commodore News almost every day, browsing also the older pages. I can't think it wasn't popular enough. Maybe the Commodore community is getting older, and shrinking.
joshuadenmark
Big Mover

Post by joshuadenmark »

I’m admin on a couple of danish wordpress driven sites and the visitor counters are a mess, perhaps this is the same issue?
Kind regards, Peter.
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

Seems almost everyone is turning to facebook's echo chambers...
Be normal.
joshuadenmark
Big Mover

Post by joshuadenmark »

eslapion wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:22 am Seems almost everyone is turning to facebook's echo chambers...
Selling their souls to the devil 😈 for some quick fix likes.
Kind regards, Peter.

Post by alterus »

Thats a real shame... I check the Commodore news there every Friday and I have for years. I look forward to it every week. For a couple years I actually had a script going that would convert that web page into PETSCII format and copy it over to the Centronian BBS drive using a ZoomFloppy so as to have updated Commodore news. Sad to see this go...
prowlr
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by prowlr »

I didn't even realise this site existed. I always seem to find out about some of these good sites via 'we are shutting down' posts :(

As for Facebook, I prefer forum websites over Facebook. I don't like the way Facebook organises its posts.
highinfidelity
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by highinfidelity »

prowlr wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:05 pm I didn't even realise this site existed. I always seem to find out about some of these good sites via 'we are shutting down' posts :(
Ditto. I suppose they're having a visitor counter's peak right now due to people like us.
GOD is REAL. Unless declared DOUBLE PRECISION.
Witzo
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Witzo »

I used to visit the Commodore News Page regularly because it was linked to me on Google+. But lost sight of it when Google+ became emptier and then closed.
Now I regret not having kept up with it...
akator
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by akator »

I was also unaware of CNP until this thread. It's a fun site to read. Too bad it is EOL.
alterus
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by alterus »

Today (Friday) I instinctively went to check the weekly news and then realized the site is no longer updating... Oh well..
cbmeeks
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by cbmeeks »

prowlr wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:05 pm I didn't even realise this site existed. I always seem to find out about some of these good sites via 'we are shutting down' posts :(

As for Facebook, I prefer forum websites over Facebook. I don't like the way Facebook organises its posts.
Same here. I come here 99.9999% of the time for all things VIC-20. I refuse to log into FB (haven't in probably 8+ years). Really sucks that people think FB is the only good place for things like that.

I much prefer forums like these (anyone notice there are no stupid ads here?).

One thing that might help independent forums would be to integrate oauth2 or some other authentication system to work WITH FB, Google, etc. I suspect many people don't bother with forums because of the "headache" of signing up. Maybe if forums offered an easy "click here to log in with FB" link, more people would flock to forums. Especially if the FB users groups said "HEY! Don't stay here...go over to these forums instead!". :-) (probably violate some TOS)
Cat; the other white meat.
highinfidelity
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by highinfidelity »

cbmeeks wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:28 amI suspect many people don't bother with forums because of the "headache" of signing up.
I fully agree with this, and I also think that the whole procedure of applying for an account, copy the anti-spam word, copy it again because the first was unreadable, redo from start as the timout was reached, check the verification e-mail, (sometimes) wait for an admin to manually approve your account is an obsolete procedure that keeps most potential new users at large. However, when I've written in another thread more or less the same things, I've been treated like an idiot.

As a side note, I don't know if I would really like to have the FB flock to stroll about here or in other tech forums. People who shot a dozen selfies per hour and really cares about the meme of the day. Call me elitist, call me old, but I guess it's overall better if they stay at large.
GOD is REAL. Unless declared DOUBLE PRECISION.
groepaz
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by groepaz »

One thing that might help independent forums would be to integrate oauth2 or some other authentication system
there is https://id.scene.org/ .... i prefer non centralized logins myself though
I'm just a Software Guy who has no Idea how the Hardware works. Don't listen to me.
joshuadenmark
Big Mover

Post by joshuadenmark »

I am admin and owner of a danish 16 year old reptile forum, with over 2000 registered users, some of the user started groups on Facebook and the forum is totally abandoned today. These users was already registered, so the registration isn’t after my opinion not the issue.
Kind regards, Peter.