For new users - make a post or say hello

Sticky Threads and Annoucements
Lechuck
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Re: For new users - make a post or say hello

Post by Lechuck »

orion70 wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:49 am Very good setup, congratulations! I also like the desk very much, the VIC 20 fits perfectly :)
Thanks!. A combination of old (datasette) and new (SD2IEC) stuff :)

Cheers
grondinm
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by grondinm »

Hello,

My Name is Marc from New-Brunswick Canada. I recently picked up a VIC-20. Before now i had never used one. I have used a C64 but the only reason i know that is from pictures. Don't remember anything about it. What i picked up is a VIC-20, Cassette deck, Joystick and a 16k switchable RAM expansion. I plan on getting a 32k expansion at some point. I also plan to get a SD2IEC drive/adapter but i also want to get the full experience of cartridges and tapes.

The reason i pick up this system is simply to play around with it. Learn some BASIC play some games and just have some fun. I have always been into tech in general. I'm no programmer but have dabbled in some. Being my first time with a system like this i have some questions and I'm not sure the best place to turn to (here?). I'll ask them here...

My initial questions are around saving programs to tape. Is it ok to save more than one program per tape? Does the VIC leave space between each save operation? How can i ensure i don't overwrite something accidentally?

Other questions are around the conversion/transfer of .prg/.tap files to .wav then recording to a cassette. Is this something i should expect to work. I have found some software to do the conversion and while it works in an emulator i have not had the chance to try and record to a cassette yet. Plan on doing that tonight.

I plan to edit this post later and add some pics of the VIC i got. It's in very good condition. Still white and everything. Got the original box as well.

EDIT: Pics Here https://cloud.gcfam.net:8099/index.php/ ... YwodrJcCEj. Was going to upload them but did not want to take the space on the board.

Anyways. Thank you for having me here that is all for now. Guess this is more than just a hello...
Last edited by grondinm on Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
joshuadenmark
Big Mover

Post by joshuadenmark »

Welcome Marc 👋🏻
Kind regards, Peter.
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Lechuck »

Hi Grondinn,

Welcome to the Community!
grondinm wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:32 pm Being my first time with a system like this i have some questions and I'm not sure the best place to turn to (here?). I'll ask them here...
I think it is better if you place your questions in the corresponding categorie (it is more likely you'll get a proper answer if you ask there).
grondinm wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:32 pm My initial questions are around saving programs to tape. Is it ok to save more than one program per tape? Does the VIC leave space between each save operation? How can i ensure i don't overwrite something accidentally?
Yes, you can save more than one program in a tape but youll need to forward the tape to the point where last program ends. For that, it is a good practice to write down start/end cassete counter every time you save a new program to a tape.
grondinm wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:32 pm Other questions are around the conversion/transfer of .prg/.tap files to .wav then recording to a cassette. Is this something i should expect to work. I have found some software to do the conversion and while it works in an emulator i have not had the chance to try and record to a cassette yet. Plan on doing that tonight.
You can get information about that topic in following post:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7094&p=76946

Cheers
DistantStar001
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by DistantStar001 »

Hello out there!!! DistantStar001 here.

I got my first VIC-20 a couple of years ago, after having the hardest time getting a working C64 (lots of boards that would work for a few days then conk out on me). My VIC-20 is an older model (two-prong with a PET style keyboard and gold label). I honestly didn't know what to expect from it (I had been an Apple II user before). Heck, I wasn't even sure I would like it. But now, I love it! Didn't even take me long. I got a datasette and soon found what's now my second favorite version of Tetris (after the Gameboy version. But with a far better screen).

I've since gotten a few working C64 bread-bins, and they're nice and all, but the VIC-20 is still my favorite Commodore machine! In fact, I just received a second motherboard (minus the VIC, VIA's, CPU, and all the ROMs) that I'm hoping to make into a PAL machine! Just need to find the ROMs...
joshuadenmark
Big Mover

Post by joshuadenmark »

Hello DistantStar001

Welcome to our community, glad to have you onboard 🎄
Kind regards, Peter.

Post by shannick »

Hello and thank you for letting me sign up.

I'm a new commodore user and I have a cbm 4032 and a Vic 20 both in really good condition.

Looking forward to finding out more what you guys and girls talk about on here.

Based in the Isle of man, UK
Lechuck
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Lechuck »

Hi Shannick,

Welcome to the community!. I hope you find what you need about your VIC 20 here.

Cheers
radventure
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by radventure »

Hi

I ended up here as part of the tumble down the Commodore rabbit-hole ( as part of reacquainting myself with the C64 )..... perhaps it's starting a new bad-habit as it's exposed me to the VIC 20 ( never seen one in person ). A late version, PAL unit is sourced and hopefully crossing oceans as I type this.

Radventure
crusti
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by crusti »

Hello
i had a VIC around 82 to 84 and now i have bought 2 in the last month, a 2 pin and CR.
Hoping to get some M/L coding done once I find me feet.
joshuadenmark
Big Mover

Post by joshuadenmark »

Welcome to our friendly community 👋🏻
Kind regards, Peter.

Post by doug_in_nc »

Hi

I fairly recently decided to recreate as well as I could, my VIC 20 system circa 1983 as well as I can remember it, just before my parents sold it :roll:
The biggest challenge being I grew up with a PAL machine and now live in NTSC-land. I'm on the way to my target, with a few compromises (a couple of games on cartridge instead of cassette for example), and picked up a few things I would have loved to get my hands on at the time, but didn't - (eg a VIC-1541 and Programmers' Reference Guide)

Doug_in_nc
thegg
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by thegg »

Hello,
A few lines to introduce myself.

I am fairly recently retired having spent 30+ years working as a Computer Systems Engineer in the UK. Like others on this forum perhaps, I have returned to my first computer (the VIC-20) as a way of entertaining myself and keeping the grey matter stimulated.

It is a while since I cut any 8 bit code and am slowly reminding myself of what a joy the VIC-20 was to a novice coder. My main interest is assembler and creating computer versions of numeric puzzles and other oddities. I no longer have any VIC-20 hardware and I am trying out my ideas using the excellent VICE emulator.

Looking forward to some interesting and informative exchanges on this forum.
JonBrawn
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by JonBrawn »

Hi, I'm Jon, and I tinker with hardware in Austin, TX.
Working on FPGA replacement for 6560/6561
https://youtube.com/@vicenary
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Welcome to the one and only forum for the VIC, Jon! Please, feel free to post whatever you're tinkering with :)