For new users - make a post or say hello

Sticky Threads and Annoucements
chysn
Vic 20 Scientist

Re: For new users - make a post or say hello

Post by chysn »

Hi there! Real non-bot user here. Got my first Vic-20 at the age of 12, around 1983. I've had several since then, and at the moment I have two, an older silver badge, and a rainbow badge. Looking forward to checking this forum out! I probably won't post for some time, as I tend to lurk a while before speaking.
VIC-20 Projects: wAx Assembler, TRBo: Turtle RescueBot, Helix Colony, Sub Med, Trolley Problem, Dungeon of Dance, ZEPTOPOLIS, MIDI KERNAL, The Archivist, Ed for Prophet-5

WIP: MIDIcast BASIC extension

he/him/his
joshuadenmark
Big Mover

Post by joshuadenmark »

Yeah 😀 welcome 👋🏻
Kind regards, Peter.
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by Deny »

Hello,
I joined this summer but I've had many issues with my health and I'm using the forum today for the first time. I've got a VIC 20 and other Commodore machines. I started using computers in 1985.

Cheers from Italy!
With the Commodore VIC 20 the whole family can learn computing at home! :mrgreen:
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Un altro italiano! Very good, welcome! And best wishes for your health.
Deny
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by Deny »

Ciao, grazie! Sei di Piacenza… Io sono di Torino.
With the Commodore VIC 20 the whole family can learn computing at home! :mrgreen:
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Good to know :) . There are other members from Turin. One of them writes great text adventures (in Italian and English) taking place in your wonderful city.

http://sleepingelephant.com/ipw-web/bul ... =10&t=9252

http://sleepingelephant.com/ipw-web/bul ... =10&t=9437

(Not that my own city is so bad eh :) )
TheAnachronaut
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by TheAnachronaut »

Hello from an old English teacher whose best friend, as a child, was his VIC-20. Now VIC is my time machine. I am in my fifties and love collecting VIC 20 memorabilia, have built a period desk as the setting for my collection and want to make videos to share it with all of you! How to do it? I’m still deciding — maybe review types of software and games or perform modern tasks using our beloved VIC, travel in my time machine, mainly! Thanks, everybody, for making this great site possible.
Yours, Mark
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

That would be great, Mark. I always dreamed about setting up my own 1982 office desk like in some early ad:

Please, review Vic equipment from your time machine (maybe a YouTube channel?), and don't forget the appropriate outfit :)
lancer21
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by lancer21 »

Hello everyone!

I've created an account on this forum because I've gotten my hands on a VIC-20 for very specific reasons: I'm not a computer enthusiast but a historical reenactor, and with my group, we're working on a little "show and tell adventure" to give people at historical events a glimpse in the life of a person in the 80s.
However, the VIC doesn't work, and the only computer-oriented people of our group aren't familiar with things older than Windows 3.1. So, I've joined this forum to see if I can dig up interesting info!

See you soon on the forums!
English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by English Invader »

lancer21 wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:30 pm Hello everyone!

I've created an account on this forum because I've gotten my hands on a VIC-20 for very specific reasons: I'm not a computer enthusiast but a historical reenactor, and with my group, we're working on a little "show and tell adventure" to give people at historical events a glimpse in the life of a person in the 80s.
However, the VIC doesn't work, and the only computer-oriented people of our group aren't familiar with things older than Windows 3.1. So, I've joined this forum to see if I can dig up interesting info!

See you soon on the forums!
Welcome! We don't get many people from Russia here so any information you can give us on how the VIC (or any other Commodore computers) were distributed and used there would be greatly appreciated.
lancer21
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by lancer21 »

Thanks! Sadly enough, I'm not Russian, I'm an expat. I know that there was an underground computer scene in the USSR, where rare examples of computers bought with personal money by people who travelled abroad were brought back home and reverse-engineeres (sometimes by amateurs! Electronics were taught at Soviet schools, and TV kits where you'd assemble a monitor by yourself with a soldering iron and glue were popular toys for kids)
I'll try to find hardcore computer connoisseurs, who would be able to tell me about how it was done back then.
Niel
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Niel »

Hello,
Thank you for adding me.
My name is Daniele, from Italy (Como). I'm an old boy from '68 and the VIC-20 was my first computer.
I started to have contact with computer at my mother school, early 1980, accessing an amatorial "CBM basic" training addressed to high school guys, on a PET 8032 (with 2 external disk drive!). In the same time I was in contact with the husbond of my primary school teacher (Mario), who was an electronic entusiast, and get access to a amatorial Z80 board.
In July I got news about the VIC launch and in December 1980 Vic-20 was available in my local store. I ordered it: price was 599.000 Lire, with tape player at 120.000 Lire. I used all my savings cumulated to buy a motorbike (fortunately later my mother helped me to buy one :D ).
I received it late Jenuary.
At that time finding documentation and software was an hard job, I remember I started converting some soft for CBM 80xx taked from magazines like Bit and MCmicrocomputer. Also developed some simple application together with Mario (who also bought a VIC-20 in the meanwhile). I clearly also bought some game cards. I remember first was Radar rat race. It was my beloved computer till 1984 when my C64 arrived. But it is the only one I never sold.
Last week I took it from my mother house and switched on: Still works. And I felt in Love again!
Attachments
IMG_20200727_103542.jpg
IMG_20200727_103404 (1).jpg
The world is my oyster!
Noizer
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Noizer »

Very good. But please do not leave that gold piece on the ground!
Welcome to Denial :wink:
Valid rule today as earlier: 1 Byte = 8 Bits
-._/classes instead of masses\_.-
Lechuck
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Lechuck »

Hi,

I've been following this forum for sometime now and have decided that I should introduce myself, so, here we are...

I live in Madrid and am another VIC-20 fan. I got mine when I was 14 and really enjoyed it very much (learning BASIC or just playing with it). A couple of months ago I decided to 'rescue' it from my mother's home and continue learning where I left it 40 years ago. It's been great to find out how many people around the world share same feelings about this great computer. So I'll stay here, learning and enjoying.

I have attached a photo of my old 'friend'. As you can see it is still fully functional...

Cheers

orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Very good setup, congratulations! I also like the desk very much, the VIC 20 fits perfectly :)