Commander X16

Other Computers and Game Systems

Moderator: Moderators

Schlowski
NoMess!

Commander X16

Post by Schlowski »

The 8bit-guy launched his idea of a new retro machine. Seems that this project has some chances to be really finished.

https://murray2.com/forums/commander-x16.9/
joshuadenmark
Big Mover

Re: Commander X16

Post by joshuadenmark »

All you need is the Vic 20 😘
Kind regards, Peter.

Post by DarwinNE »

It's an interesting project, indeed. BTW, I ported Two Days to the Race on it 8)
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

A new component in Commodore's 8 bit family. In 2019 (2020?). It's just great to know, and the blog entries and comments - except for the annoying kernal vs kernel questions - are an interesting read, indeed.
siccoyote
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by siccoyote »

joshuadenmark wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:38 pm All you need is the Vic 20 😘
Ah but the Vic isn't Retro, it's just old :D

Though seriously I don't like they way they don't seem to have given much thought to game controllers.
This is one of the MAJOR problems with 8/16 bit computers.

A 3 button DB9 based port which has the same map as a kempston for U D L R 1, but then the other two pins reserved for 2 extra buttons on a simple(much simpler than a Nes pad) custom joypad would be better.

Also says Nes is simpler, but that's a proprietary port and uses an encoder on board.

Shoot me down if I'm wrong as I'm just a dabbler.
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

I looked at it on YouTube. Looks interesting but presently still out of reach.
Be normal.
16KVIC20
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by 16KVIC20 »

This looks like an interesting project. If David can get these somewhere approaching the $50 mark he originally intended, I'd probably get one.
I think I like the look of this more than I do the Mega 65. At first I thought do we really need yet another Commodore retro machine/emulator thingy, but I think the Commander X16 is better than that, and probably the pick of the bunch.

I've seen some people elsewhere online questioning how much software it will get, but that's up to all of us really. I'm sure the Raspberry Pi had similar doubters when it was being developed, now look, it's outsold the C64!

I'm no programmer, but even I, given enough time, might work out something on that machine with improved BASIC and the memory banks arranged as they are. Imagine what a proper programmer could do. Pretty much any 8 Bit game could be ported and improved upon, is only part of the potential.