Lost software releases

Discuss anything related to the VIC
alterus
Vic 20 Amateur

Lost software releases

Post by alterus »

I've been going through the software releases from the past years in the Announcement section. Unfortunately many of the programs are no longer available because the hosting platforms they were linked to are either gone or accounts have expired. It seems that if you didn't download some programs soon after release, then it is no longer possible to get them.

So my question/suggestion is maybe its time we had a centralized repository or database where we can put new software releases for the VIC 20, much like csdb.dk for the C64 scene. Its a major shame that some amazing projects are no longer to be found on this forum...

What do you folks think?
Last edited by alterus on Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kweepa
Vic 20 Scientist

Re: Lost software releases

Post by Kweepa »

Sounds good!

(Is there anything specifically you were looking for?
No doubt someone here has a copy...)
alterus
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by alterus »

I'm looking for everything! I'd like to have the complete collection if possible.

We'd need to create a list of missing software and try and hunt it down. There is a lot missing.
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

I try and grab stuff for GB20 obviously (boy do I need a "final" release on that and hand it over to someone else) but do miss the odd thing. But somewhere for stuff to be centrally uploaded is a good idea.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
siccoyote
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by siccoyote »

Have you checked my sd2iec compilation?

http://sleepingelephant.com/ipw-web/bul ... =10&t=9344 (Link edit by Joshuadenmark, for current domain)

there are some still missing from that though I tried to track down most.

I went through every announce to make the spreadsheet as well as other sources.

Here's what is listed but not included in the set:
*.* by Freshlamb (Commercial?)
*.* Revival Studios (Commercial)
Realms of Quest 2 & 4 Demos (Couldn't locate)
Realms of Quest V (2019) (Commercial)
VicroLeague Wrestling 3 (2019) (Not released at time of the last update)
Fight Night by Heinz Kroos (1986)
Booby in Action by Klaus Kiewert (1986)
Robots Rumble (2019) (Not released at time of the last update)
Cheese & Onions (2017) (Commercial)
Rodman (2018) (Commercial)
The Evil Castle by Orion70 (2008) (Couldn't Locate)
Hunchy by Richard Tonge (1986) (Couldn't Locate)
Threes by Schlowski (2014) (Couldn't Loctate)

Edit:
Ah but I have limited myself to games, if someone wants to do a Non-game software folder in the style of what I've done with the games could compile it. Also I only include disks and prgs (sometimes removing prgs from disks because a 4k program in a 170k disk seemed a waste and an extra step when loading using sd2iec)
Last edited by joshuadenmark on Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Link edit to right domain
prowlr
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by prowlr »

+1 to the original post. When I get some spare time I like to go through previous releases. It is a little sad when what looks like a great game can't be downloaded from the link any more. I sometimes have luck googling for it but I am not always successful.
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

alterus wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:42 pm I've been going through the software releases from the past years in the Announcement section. Unfortunately many of the programs are no longer available because the hosting platforms they were linked to are either gone or accounts have expired. It seems that if you didn't download some programs soon after release, then it is no longer possible to get them.

So my question/suggestion is maybe its time we had a centralized repository or database where we can put new software releases for the VIC 20, much like csdb.dk for the C64 scene. Its a major shame that some amazing projects are no longer to be found on this forum...

What do you folks think?
I think I have told time and time again to people to send their software creations to Bo Zimmerman so he posts them on his online database which has been very reliable for more than a decade now. People don't seem to care.

See: http://www.zimmers.net/anonftp/pub/cbm/index.html
Be normal.
alterus
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by alterus »

I've been looking through the collections of Bo Zimmerman, gamebaseVic20 and the sd2iec collection of siccoyote. They are all great, but all incomplete. I also have my own Vic20 collection and I have a some titles that aren't in those others, such as Planet X1. Anyway, the point is that we shouldn't have to send our files to someone to include in their collection. We should have a place where software can be announced and released, like here, but where the files are also stored.

Personally I'd love some sort of database thing to be setup under the denial umbrella. So announcements can still be made here, but that there will also be a dedicated entry, much like csdb.

I think we need to take the preservation of this stuff seriously. The future will thank us.
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

alterus wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:46 pm I've been looking through the collections of Bo Zimmerman, gamebaseVic20 and the sd2iec collection of siccoyote. They are all great, but all incomplete. I also have my own Vic20 collection and I have a some titles that aren't in those others, such as Planet X1. Anyway, the point is that we shouldn't have to send our files to someone to include in their collection. We should have a place where software can be announced and released, like here, but where the files are also stored.
I will state two things here... first the database is released periodically (and it's overdue a new release but I'm a new father so... time goes!) so there may be new stuff added that isn't public both odd and modern, there are new discoveries for old games happening on an almost weekly basis. I've got a pile of almost 30 games not in there and possibly not available anywhere that I never got around to transferring yet for example. Your example of Planet X1, it came out after the last release of GB20, so it's probably on my hard drive, waiting to be added and included with the next release, whenever that happens heh.

Second, generally only the best (one version) of a game is added, not multiple unnecesary versions.

But yes, I readily admit it's not complete and based on my experiences, I am willing to state any archive is likely incomplete heh.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
siccoyote
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by siccoyote »

Doesn't this forum host files already? I mean I had got my collection ready to host on Mega but was able to list it here as an attachment.

Added Planet X1 to my collection/spreadsheet.

If you have any more 1986+ software that needs to be added I'd like to get my hands on it if you could help.
LoadError
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by LoadError »

The forum does allow to host files; indeed when I uploaded my game (Pyrotech) I chose to host it both on the forum and on a separate website, and the hosted zip file is still there despite the ups and downs Denial has had lately. Although, a central organized repository would be super cool.
Commodore VIC-20 n. WG-C-275517 - manufactured in Western Germany in 1983
Macguyver
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Macguyver »

What we really need with the Vic20 repository is something that is visually just as impressive. It must have box art and/or screen captures. Something like what we see for c64.com or Lemon 64. But there absolutely should be a database site for all the Vic software. People could vote on favorites, etc. Would make the software library come alive.
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

LoadError wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:46 am The forum does allow to host files; indeed when I uploaded my game (Pyrotech) I chose to host it both on the forum and on a separate website, and the hosted zip file is still there despite the ups and downs Denial has had lately. Although, a central organized repository would be super cool.
The ability to have files attached to posts here on Denial is relatively new. It wasn't available when such titles as Frogger '07 and Pooyan were posted.
Be normal.
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

(mod: this post moved to here from "VIC-20 Software Releases of 2019")

IMPORTANT NOTE TO MODERATORS:

1. Feel free to delete this post once you read it.

2. Virtually all the beautiful software found in this thread has NOT been attached to the posts related to them. Instead, we are given links to external sites which usually turn dead after only a year or two and this makes them essentially disappear forever. Is it reasonable to ask software creators posting here to include said software as attachments to their posts ?

Thank you all for your understanding.

- Eslapion
Be normal.
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

eslapion wrote:[...] we are given links to external sites which usually turn dead after only a year or two [...]
This is indeed an issue for files that are provided with 'Dropbox'-like facilities. Those files are virtually guaranteed to disappear within say half a year to two years, because those external file hosters don't have (or want to provide) unlimited storage.

With cloud storage and non-anonymous accounts that situation is somewhat alleviated. At least up to the point, that the files won't (usually) disappear on their own, but the storage capacity per account is still limited, and so it's on behalf of the account's owner which files are kept, etc.

Main issue with the attachment facility of the Denial forum is: you (easily) get only one single place where to download the file from - the post which features the attachment. It *is* possible to replicate the corresponding URL, but non-obvious to do. This is especially important when people want to link to the same file from another thread. Simply duplicating the attachment not only duplicates the storage requirements of the forum, it also adds burden to the author to replace all instances of said attachment when a newer version should replace an older one.

BTW, it's not only those missing files of the downloads, many announcements are now also missing the screenshots being linked to - which makes the older Announcement threads a sad thing to look at. :(