This is a temporary domain.

Discuss anything related to the VIC
joshuadenmark
Big Mover

This is a temporary domain.

Post by joshuadenmark »

Hi all

Welcome back, we are now on a temporary domain and another host. Hostgator shut us down, claiming there had been a CPU overload. The only way to get us online again, was a move. I will transfer everything back to the normal domain, when we got the issues solved.

Please rapport any glitches and i will try to correct them, internal links doesn’t all work, cause these are some domain related.

Have a nice evening :D
Kind regards, Peter.
Big Mover

Re: This is a temporary domain.

Post by joshuadenmark »

Wiki i not moved, will do this if necessary but hopefully Hostgator 🤪🔫 will give us a second chance...
Kind regards, Peter.
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by akator »

Glad to hear Denial isn't DOA, it's one of my favorite sites. Thanks for getting it up again!
English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by English Invader »

Thank you, Peter :D .
norm8332
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by norm8332 »

I don't see how CPU usage would be high with the traffic we see here...One question, Why is it possible to get a directory on the domain and be able to access backups etc. ? Could this be part of the issue if the access is somehow being exploited? Is it possible the site was compromised and a bot installed?

I recommend a top to bottom security review when possible.
“In religion and politics people’s beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination... whose opinions about them were not worth a brass farthing.”

-Autobiography of Mark Twain
joshuadenmark
Big Mover

Post by joshuadenmark »

The mail from Hostgator, after my opinion this is a sales trick, as they’re NO Running Processes showning.

Hello,

Your account sleeping on gator xxxx.hostgator.com has been overusing CPU resources for an extended period of time and has been disabled in order to ensure continued performance and stability of the server. While we do limit each account to no more than 25% of a system's CPU in our terms of service, we do not actively disable accounts until they greatly exceed that number, which is what happened in this case.

Unfortunately, there is no way of predicting an account's resource usage in advance. A sudden increase in traffic, a bot crawl, or a change in site activity can cause a site to dramatically increase its resource usage in an instant. When this happens, the server's ability to function properly is jeopardized, and we must, by necessity, restrict the source of the problem to keep the server functioning.

Please take a moment to review this email in full as it contains important information and resources to assist you in resolving this issue. Please note that this permanent restriction requires you take further actions to gain access to and resolve the issues on your account.

-How can you resolve the issue?
We have two solutions available. Moving the account to a dedicated server, which will allow far greater hardware resources or you may try following some of our tutorials for optimizing popular scripts. http://support.hostgator.com/articles/s ... urce-usage. If you feel your scripts have already been optimized, it may simply be time to consider the hardware upgrade.

-Important note
While an upgrade to a dedicated server would increase resource availability, an upgrade to a VPS would not, in most cases. A VPS offers a root environment in which custom installs and configurations can be made, but only the very highest level VPS packages offer the same level of server resources available on your current plan. Moving to a VPS in this circumstance would likely make the problem worse, rather than better. Additionally, our cloud platform is also a shared environment, and does not offer an increase in available resources.

-What do I do next?
If you reply back to this email with your IP address (http://www.hostgator.com/ip.shtml) we will be more than happy to go ahead and enable HTTP access for you, allowing you to safely work on the script while minimizing the negative effects on the server and its other users. If your IP address changes frequently, you can reply back requesting password-based restrictions.

-How does a CPU issue occur?
Many times popular scripts may perform inefficient tasks repeatedly leading to CPU overuse. Below please find helpful articles outlining resource restrictions set on HostGator accounts:
https://support.hostgator.com/articles/ ... estriction
https://support.hostgator.com/articles/ ... urce-usage

-How can I rate-limit search engine crawlers?
All major crawlers respect robots.txt to restrict them from crawling certain pages. Additional steps may be needed to limit the rate at which Googlebot and Bingbot craw your site:
http://support.hostgator.com/articles/h ... robots-txt
http://support.hostgator.com/articles/t ... ur-website
http://support.hostgator.com/articles/t ... ur-website

CPU Seconds used in the past hour: 2830.2, 79% CPU
Wed Jul 24 12:02:46 CDT 2019
Running Processes:

Running Queries:

Open connections

Current Site Requests:
Kind regards, Peter.
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by akator »

Others have reported the same "cpu usage" problem. People started experiencing this shortly after Hostgator was purchased by Endurance International Group. I have been told by others that it is best to stay away from any brand owned by EIG for reasons like this.

I had different but disappointing experiences with 1up. They kept "upgrading" my account with paid services I didn't want. They also sold my email addresses to spam marketers -- in the years that I had 1up the unsolicited emails kept increasing. The day I terminated service with 1up 99% of my spam disappeared. I can't recommend them, either.
norm8332
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by norm8332 »

akator wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:22 am Others have reported the same "cpu usage" problem. People started experiencing this shortly after Hostgator was purchased by Endurance International Group. I have been told by others that it is best to stay away from any brand owned by EIG for reasons like this.

I had different but disappointing experiences with 1up. They kept "upgrading" my account with paid services I didn't want. They also sold my email addresses to spam marketers -- in the years that I had 1up the unsolicited emails kept increasing. The day I terminated service with 1up 99% of my spam disappeared. I can't recommend them, either.

I see now...https://www.google.com/search?q=hostgat ... 76&bih=760
“In religion and politics people’s beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination... whose opinions about them were not worth a brass farthing.”

-Autobiography of Mark Twain
joshuadenmark
Big Mover

Post by joshuadenmark »

If the forum keeps kicking you out, try delete cookies and login again.

ucp.php?mode=delete_cookies
Kind regards, Peter.
Big Mover

Post by joshuadenmark »

Glitch.: Attached images from old domain, doesn’t show.

Will try to fix this later today.
Kind regards, Peter.
NoMess!

Post by Schlowski »

This new (temporary) host is way faster than the old host, at least for me.

With the old hoster I had sometimes to wait 10-30 seconds before a topic opens, every so often it even refuses to change topics at all and I had to re-click after a timeout.
joshuadenmark
Big Mover

Post by joshuadenmark »

Schlowski wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:05 am This new (temporary) host is way faster than the old host, at least for me.

With the old hoster I had sometimes to wait 10-30 seconds before a topic opens, every so often it even refuses to change topics at all and I had to re-click after a timeout.
Thats is great, the forum itself is updated too.
Kind regards, Peter.
Big Mover

Post by joshuadenmark »

joshuadenmark wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:08 pm Glitch.: Attached images from old domain, doesn’t show.

Will try to fix this later today.
Solved, please let me know if you find other glitches.
Kind regards, Peter.
Big Mover

Post by joshuadenmark »

Links with old domain names doesn’t work, I will not fix this, cause this is a domain thing, not an error and will solve itself when we are back with the domain.
Kind regards, Peter.

Post by malcontent »

Thanks for the hard work. Hope more people see the Lemon post etc.