35K RAM expander with built-in SD2IEC - worth it?

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

mingle
Vic 20 Dabbler

35K RAM expander with built-in SD2IEC - worth it?

Post by mingle »

Hi guys,

I've noticed this nifty-looking device on ebay a few times:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/273915361496

Does it look like a worthwhile purchase? What are the advantages/disadvantages when compared to some of the other similar carts available for the Vic?

Cheers,

Mike.
eslapion
ultimate expander

Re: 35K RAM expander with built-in SD2IEC - worth it?

Post by eslapion »

mingle wrote:Hi guys,

I've noticed this nifty-looking device on ebay a few times:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/273915361496
I notice none of the pictures show the board of this expansion or the connector.

If you look at all the cartridges Commodore ever sold for the VIC-20, the edge connector is gold plated. There are multiple reasons for that.

Also, there are tell tale signs if a PCB was designed by people who really know what they are doing or a basement tinkerer who thinks he's going to make a quick buck. Same goes for the quality of build/assembly and solders.

Hiding all these details seem suspicious.
Be normal.
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

At least the shell looks nice, very stylish..
norm8332
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by norm8332 »

I like it because it's all in one and it looks like it's using the 3D design case file I modded too.
“In religion and politics people’s beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination... whose opinions about them were not worth a brass farthing.”

-Autobiography of Mark Twain
joshuadenmark
Big Mover

Post by joshuadenmark »

23E422A3-6FBA-4AD2-93E4-9630ED2E8245.jpeg
Asked for this, from the seller.
Kind regards, Peter.
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

Obviously no gold plating at all and a well scraped edge connector just doing the basic tests on this thing.

IMHO, steer clear!
Be normal.
mingle
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by mingle »

It looks to be a well put-together board, but why are gold-plated connectors more durable?

I'm sure it's been explained before, but are newly-designed carts like this inferior to old/classic carts, when it comes to the edge-connectors?

Cheers,

Mike.
tokra
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by tokra »

Wouldn't it be the better solution to inform the seller about the problems with non-gold-plated connectors instead of just "steering clear" from the products? If someone has enough interest in VIC-20-hardware to built something like this it should be encouraged I think. People new to the VIC-20 will certainly buy such expansions on Ebay and not be aware of any problems it might cause in the long run. If we inform such sellers they can improve their product.

Also I suggest asking him that runs Mike's RAM-check program on this expansion, since cross-talk is a common problem with expansions if people don't get it exactly right.

Edit: Judging from the YouTube-videos he posted on his site at least software-wise he seems to know what he's doing. He's showing the expansion running Mike's CGA-viewer, RAM-check as well as Doom running : http://melbourneconsolerepros.com/produ ... cts_id=146
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

mingle wrote:It looks to be a well put-together board, but why are gold-plated connectors more durable?
Ordinary PCB solderable surface is designed to solder parts, not insert/eject a board. The soft metal scrapes off when you insert/remove a board in the connector. It's not just VIC-20, it's the same for all modern PCs cards.

Gold is the best material you can use but it's not the only solution to this problem. In fact, most gold plated cards have a rather low grade of gold like 14 carats or less.
I'm sure it's been explained before, but are newly-designed carts like this inferior to old/classic carts, when it comes to the edge-connectors?
Yes, considerably so. Looking at my various VIC-20 carts, games and RAM expansions made by Commodore, it's obvious the edge connector on the RAM expansion is much better quality but even game carts have the minimum grade gold plating. It only gets slightly covered in dark carbon deposits after many uses and this can be removed easily with a simple white 'plastic' pencil eraser.

If you look at the edge connector of any video card or whatever type of PCIe card available today in a computer shop, they all have gold plating.

Every single Behr-Bonnz multicart I have ever sold and all the Ultimate Expanders I made and sold have hard gold plating on the edge connector except for the very first 2 prototypes.
tokra wrote:Wouldn't it be the better solution to inform the seller about the problems with non-gold-plated connectors instead of just "steering clear" from the products?
You never know if the guy is going to see it as an opportunity to learn and improve on what he offers or if he's going to put is ego first and start trolling everything you post...
Be normal.
RobertBe
Vic 20 Elite

Post by RobertBe »

I just received the cart from Jason Micari of Australia. $62 US. As with his SD2IEC that I had bought from him, the case is 3D-printed. It arrived relatively quickly. I'll give it the acid test at the Aug. 10-11 CommVEx!

Truly,
Robert Bernardo
Fresno Commodore User Group - http://www.dickestel.com/fcug.htm
August 10-11 Commodore Vegas Expo v15 - http://www.portcommodore.com/commvex
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

RobertBe wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:41 pmI just received the cart from Jason Micari of Australia. $62 US. As with his SD2IEC that I had bought from him, the case is 3D-printed. It arrived relatively quickly. I'll give it the acid test at the Aug. 10-11 CommVEx!
Gold plating on the edge connector ?
Be normal.
norm8332
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by norm8332 »

eslapion wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:40 pm
RobertBe wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:41 pmI just received the cart from Jason Micari of Australia. $62 US. As with his SD2IEC that I had bought from him, the case is 3D-printed. It arrived relatively quickly. I'll give it the acid test at the Aug. 10-11 CommVEx!
Gold plating on the edge connector ?
There is a massive thread here about this subject for those that are interested. Unfortunately the pictures aren't working because of the domain issue.
http://sleepingelephant.com/ipw-web/bul ... =11&t=8764

(mod: link repaired)
“In religion and politics people’s beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination... whose opinions about them were not worth a brass farthing.”

-Autobiography of Mark Twain
RobertBe
Vic 20 Elite

Post by RobertBe »

eslapion wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:40 pmGold plating on the edge connector ?
No

Packing for CommVEx v15,
Robert Bernardo
Fresno Commodore User Group - http://www.dickestel.com/fcug.htm
August 10-11 Commodore Vegas Expo v15 - http://www.portcommodore.com/commvex