VIC Steampunk — Love it or Hate it?

Discuss anything related to the VIC
TheAnachronaut
Vic 20 Drifter

VIC Steampunk — Love it or Hate it?

Post by TheAnachronaut »

I can’t help but shrink inside over this eBay listing. This is the computer of my dreams, if only it had a slightly larger screen, wireless modem and printing, battery power and all the best applications preloaded. I’m pretty sure young Annakin Skywalker created C-3PO using this device.
-addendum-
I’m afraid I can’t get the pictures up, but let me explain: What You would see in the pictures is a FrankenVIC. it’s the early model, has really been through the wringer — is covered with scrapes and dirt and black scars. It has been heavily modded with what looks like a 3” screen embedded above the keyboard and a serial cable dangling from the modem port, for what, disk or printer access? It also has some kind of home brew connector soldered more or less into that same modem port, also dangling. These connections seem to have been burned in to the VIC case using a small torch or even a soldering iron.

There are four buttons of different types attached below the power indicator and, finally, one of those folding metal case handles permanently attached to the top edge of the VIC case itself. I bow my head in respect for the friendly computer that withstood the unholy transformation forced upon it by this mad scientist!

And yet, I have to wonder, did it ever work? Did some slovenly but brilliant engineering student take this magnificent monstrosity from class to class, plugging it in to take notes then record everything using the disk drive he carried in his backpack (powering both with a homemade double power supply he kept in his coat pocket)?

There’s certainly dark magic at work here, and, could I get some inspiration from it?
Last edited by TheAnachronaut on Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheAnachronaut
Vic 20 Drifter

Re: VIC Steampunk — Love it or Hate it?

Post by TheAnachronaut »

[quote="TheAnachronaut"]I can’t help but shrink inside over this eBay listing. This is the computer of my dreams, if only it had a slightly larger screen, wireless modem and printing, battery power and all the best applications preloaded. I’m pretty sure young Annakin Skywalker created C-3PO using this device.

HEY! I know this is a stupid question, but how do I add pictures to lift or break your hearts, as these shots are guaranteed to do?

Yours, Mark
Kweepa
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Kweepa »

Can you just post the link to the ebay listing?
Not very permanent, I know...

I thought there was a way to upload pictures but I don't see it any more. Maybe I'm thinking of another forum. You'd have to upload the pictures somewhere else (an image host, or your own web site) and then link them here.
TheAnachronaut
Vic 20 Drifter

Re: FrankenVIC

Post by TheAnachronaut »

My description can never do this lost soul justice. See for yourself.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-COMMOD ... Swn2xdEVCs
bdk6
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by bdk6 »

orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Poor VIC :(
I was expecting a metal, Victorian era computer, but now this is just a ruined case..
TheAnachronaut
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by TheAnachronaut »

Okay, yes. FrankenVIC is a better title than Steampunk VIC. But I didn’t think of that till my 2nd post. I’ll bet some of the bidders just want to save that poor machine or give it a proper burial. Still, it insPIREs me. Would it be possible to do this in a more civilized, Ben Heck sort of way? How about a slightly larger tilting screen? The handle can stay just as it is.

Would it be possible to power the VIC with Internal batteries? You could certainly replace the datasette and disk by adding an internal SD card reader. Do these ideas get anybody else salivating or just me? And thanks, bdk6, for adding the photo!
bdk6
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by bdk6 »

I don't think the photo is actually hosted here. I just clicked the "Img" button above and inserted the link. But at least it shows up... for now.
I have added a battery supply as well as a slightly larger screen to my VIC, sort of in the same way.
http://wrcooke.net/classiccomputer/vicp ... power.html Is the battery power supply. the regulator and fairly large 12V gel cell are external. But the regulator might fit inside the VIC with some lithium type batteries.
I bought a small "backup camera monitor" about 4.7 inch that I use as a monitor, attached on top of the VIC in about the same location as the one above.
By the way, thanks for linking that. I do feel sorry for the poor VIC, but it's a really neat idea.
TheAnachronaut
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by TheAnachronaut »

I would love to see your modded VIC. Please post a pic! Does it have any other portability features? Can and do you use it for note-taking? I would LOVE to show up at a work meeting or conference with a VIC. This is now my goal.
bdk6
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by bdk6 »

Oops!
I wasn't clear. I intentionally did NOT modify the VIC. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
The monitor is just stuck on top with tape. It is designed to sit on the dash of a car, but it now resides on the top of the VIC. The power supply/regulator is external and plugs in like a normal mains supply to the DIN connector on the side. It's on a robot I'm building. There is a pic somewhere, let me see if I can find it. It's not supposed to be portable, just mobile.
Here is a link to the thread where I posted pics of it.
TheAnachronaut
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by TheAnachronaut »

Yes! Now I’ve got to see the robot! Is that little screen the face of the robot? The link to the pic doesn’t work.
What does the robot do, mow your lawn? beat you in chess? serve you drinks on the Ramada? A friendly computer means a friendly robot.
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

Kweepa wrote:I thought there was a way to upload pictures but I don't see it any more.
The "General Topics" section in Denial doesn't allow for attachments (for whatever reason).
bdk6
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by bdk6 »

The robot isn't finished yet. I still have to build an interface board from the expansion/cartridge port to all the I/O.
Here is what it looks like at the moment:
I wasn't planning to use the screen as a "face" but I kinda like that idea :-)
I'm not real happy with the chassis. I was planning to cover the wood frame with either plastic or aluminum skin, but it turned out bigger than I imagined. I'm seriously considering building a more "petite" chassis. Something more like the 80's robots.
I'm not planning on it doing a lot. Probably just roll around the house, exploring, creating a map, and some basic interaction with people -- stop and beep in a friendly manner or something.
TheAnachronaut
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by TheAnachronaut »

The friendliest computer should have the friendliest face, I imagine! This is great! I picture something like a Dalek, from Doctor Who, though that’s very unfriendly. Still, there was one anti-dalek dalek. I just looked it up; Dr. Who called him ”Rusty.” He tried, eternally, to exterminate the destructive Dalek race.

To be a Dalek, all your robot would need is an inverted-cone shape, wheels (which you’ve got), and a rounded, rotating head: pretty easy. That’s my only idea, but Dalek don’t have faces really, just light-up eyes and a gun stick for a nose. Good luck, buddy! I want to see it as it gets closer, for sure!
srowe
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by srowe »

What could be more friendly than K-9?

https://www.vintageisthenewold.com/resu ... -a-vic-20/