Mystery Skyles Electric Works VicTree "Cee-Net" network for VIC?

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

llcameron
Vic 20 Dabbler

Mystery Skyles Electric Works VicTree "Cee-Net" network for VIC?

Post by llcameron »

I did some searching on the forum but I haven't actually seen any discussion of this particular product!

Apparently the VicTree cartridge from Skyles Electric Works had a feature to support a networking product for the VIC named the "Cee-Net". From a period review of the VicTree I saw this:

"Skyles is planning to come out with a device called the Cee-Net which will allow up to 64 VICs or Commodore 64s to communicate with each other and to share disk drives and printers. The VicTree is designed to work with Cee-Net when it arrives and has a command to ATTACH itself to the network."

Has anyone ever seen one of these or know anything further about it? Was this just vaporware or did it ever actually exist?
llcameron
Vic 20 Dabbler

Re: Mystery Skyles Electric Works VicTree "Cee-Net" network for VIC?

Post by llcameron »

Addendum

There was also apparently a centronic parallel port cable associated with the VicTree! From the same review (Compute! September 83):

"There are also commands intended for use with any "Centronics" type printer (with no extra hardware needed besides a cable to connect the printer to the parallel user port of your computer). Skyles will supply you with this cable for $29.95, or the VicTree and a cable as a package for $109.95."

VicTree was intended to be quite a powerful product!