Its freezing...

Discuss anything related to the VIC
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Leeeeee wrote:A decent volcano can, in a few short weeks, output more gasses and particulates into the atmosphere than mankind does in a year, and much higher up into the atmosphere as well.
...and as there are less and less volcano eruptions compared to past ages, then maybe it's a good thing that mankind makes so much pollution to keep the temperature on the same level! :lol:

Well, I really don't think pollution is a good thing... But well, just thinking out loud...

/Anders
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

If you are an evolutionist (I know you aren't, Boray), you may even thank the volcanos for that humans are where we are today. The last speculative scientific documentary I saw on the subject suggested that probably a massive volcano or other nature catastrophe took place about 60,000 years ago and only a small amount of humans - survival of the fittest? - survived and were forced to evolve and breed.

I think leaving the Earth for good is something many thousands of years into the future. If it happens, Mars won't be enough far away. Maybe something like the Jupiter moon Europa, if one can shield yourself from Jupiter's radiation.

If it wasn't for the waste, I think nuclear power is the best energy source we have today. Technology hopefully will come up with something better in the next ten years, or we all will have to think twice about how much energy and heat we use. The alternative is that electricity price, just like petrol, oil etc will skyrocket by 500% or more, so only the rich people will afford electricity. I fear that the difference between rich and poor will be much greater in ten years too, which will lead to a society of more crime, suspicion and agony, but that is more political than environmental woes.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

One related issue I have thought about is how the car companies advertises and says you are an environmental bad guy if you still drive your old car. Buying a new one with a cleaner engine would be better for the environment. But I don't think this is true. Think about the enormous amounts of energy, recources and materials it takes to make a new car. And if you buy a Japanese car, you also have to take the fuel of the shipment into the calculation. I'm convinced that it's much more energy and resource efficiant to use allready manufactured things as long as it is possible and echonomacally benefitual. I will not be better for the enviroment if I bought a brand new car, escpesially since I don't drive very much. Another thing is that they put more and more horse powers into the cars... That's kind of contadictory...
Last edited by Boray on Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
vic user
VicGyver

Post by vic user »

that's why i ride a bike 365.

one less car

chris
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

It's still a lot of snow here, but a couple of days ago I saw a living frog ouside! It seemed quite stiff though :lol:
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Two nights ago, it was -17C here and there is a lot of snow. I actually think this is the snowiest winter I've experianced in Gothenburg ever... (It's only -1C right now though).

/Anders
vic user
VicGyver

Post by vic user »

this has been one of the worst winters that i can remember.

lots of snow, the it melts the next day.

this is the first time in a while that my daughter and i did not make a quinzee :(

we had many freezing rain days, followed by really cold days, so made life very icy!

i envy your snow amounts!

chris
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Today, I took a walk equipped with my camera to take pictures of the snow. I passed along a small forest and decided to climb into it, since there already were some marks. There was a lot more snow in the woods than on the footpath - at some point I had snow up to my knees! I took some more pictures, saw a woodpecker and then continued the regular way around back home. Later I may upload the pictures.
Anders Carlsson

vic user
VicGyver

Post by vic user »

please upload the pics!

i got to see Mika's (49'er) snowy backyard via a pic he submitted.

chris
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I just learned what a quinzee is. I'd like to learn, but I would have little chance to do so in the city of Chicago.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
vic user
VicGyver

Post by vic user »

i may be wrong, but the quinzee is the easiest snow shelter to build... if you have a lot of snow, which i guess Chicago does not have much as you were alluding to?

i wonder if we have any pictures of ours over the years?

i know we brought a video camera in, but i don't have the technology to transfer the stuff to comp.

i have only slept in a quinzee three times, but it really works!

once it was -24C outside when i woke up, yet where i was sleeping it was +2C and at the door it was only about -5C or so.

they don't last that long, maybe about two weeks, then you have to build another one, as i have found the ceiling slowly starts to contract :)

chris
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

the igloo is quite interesting as many native north artic peoples sleep in the nude.

Chicago is quite cold, but it is mostly windy and dry. Yes, a very dry and windy kind of freezing. :roll:
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

I believe Chicago being the "windy city" is universally known. :-)

The cold weather is supposed to last for a week, so theoretically I could build a snow shelter somewhere, but I already have a warm, nice apartment to sleep in.
Anders Carlsson

6502dude
megacart

Post by 6502dude »

Jeff-20 wrote:... as many native north artic peoples sleep in the nude.
Have you been peeking???? :lol: :lol:
Image Mega-Cart: the ultimate cartridge for your Commodore Vic-20
saundby
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by saundby »

We had a beautiful day here today. About 0C all day with fluffy snowflakes falling. I went out to buy cream and brandy first thing this morning so we could do custard for a Christmas pudding to go with the flavor of the day.

-Mark G.