About the forum soul

Discuss anything related to the VIC
MCes
Vic 20 Afficionado

About the forum soul

Post by MCes »

In my life I have activityes more interesting that to be molested by who have self-elected himself king of the planet,
and I am embittered by the other people that with their silence have accepted this as correct.

Evidently I was in error when I didn't accepted some embarrassing pseudo-technic prejudices and superstitions,
specially to protect who don't have tools to understand it.

I know what I know, what I can know, and what I don't know.
I tried to base my posts on experience, scientific rigor, or some new themes that I tried to explore together the other people, and this can be nice, but in this public forum is for me become impossible to do this.

So, for the happiness of someone and for the indifference of others, I decided to be absent on public posts:
If somebody will ask me an help in PM I'll happy to help him.

If I'll found something of interesting I'll start a thread without following its progress,
or simply I will post a link to another site where I'll posting something that could be interesting.

I wish a good future to all,
no one excluded.

MCes

edit:
If it isn't the right place for this, please move it, thanks
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." (Albert Einstein)
norm8332
Vic 20 Nerd

Re: About the forum soul

Post by norm8332 »

Sorry to see you go...But I think you should reconsider.

You may or may not know that I have had disagreements with some on this forum, and I have found that the best way to deal with is just make your case and let it stand on it's own. Some people have their own opinions and that doesn't mean that they are the absolute truth. Your statements and the opposing statements remain in the threads for all to see, evaluate and make their own conclusions. Everyone doesn't have to agree. Some people can't change positions no matter how you try to convince them and the best course at that point is to just make your case and walk away from the specific conversation.

Myself, I always felt that you did positively contribute to this forum and I think you should reconsider.
“In religion and politics people’s beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination... whose opinions about them were not worth a brass farthing.”

-Autobiography of Mark Twain
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

I encourage you not to leave the forum as well. I always found your posts and the hardware you sell interesting, at least in the parts I understand (I'm no electronics expert). I also had issues with members of this forum in the past. Most of them are now inactive, but this is not the point: the point is, if you feel your idea is right, write it clear (and don't worry about your English), and answer politely to the critics. That's all: the impolite, egotistic, or borderline antisocial qualify themselves from their words. Just don't go to their level: be correct, don't take anything as a personal attack, and keep posting :)
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

MCes wrote:I am embittered by the other people that with their silence have accepted this as correct.
It takes at least two people to start an argument. We're adults here, and Denial is not a kindergarden. It should always have been possible for the two people already involved to sort out their issues over PM. And there is no reason for others to get involved into such an argument, unless the argument itself becomes harmful for the forum as whole.

I have separated the off-topic parts of both topics into the Off-Topic section and locked them. If anyone wants to re-instate one of his or her posts in the original threads, and for a good reason, it's always possible to do so.

Michael
English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by English Invader »

There is an international forum here for bilingual members where you can communicate in your native Italian. We have some Italian members here who write fluent English and I'm sure they could pass on anything you want passed on if you want to avoid any potential misunderstandings.
vicist
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by vicist »

I think that most of us on this forum do not have the level of expertise to know what you are arguing about anyway. :roll:

So no point getting involved in matters we know nothing about.
joshuadenmark
Big Mover

Post by joshuadenmark »

English ist my best :wink: I encourage no one to leave, lets be as friendly as our beloved Vic :D

Nice weekend to all.
Kind regards, Peter.
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by MCes »

Mike wrote:
MCes wrote:I am embittered by the other people that with their silence have accepted this as correct.
It takes at least two people to start an argument. We're adults here, and Denial is not a kindergarden. It should always have been possible for the two people already involved to sort out their issues over PM. And there is no reason for others to get involved into such an argument, unless the argument itself becomes harmful for the forum as whole.
I can't agree with you:
Not everything can be an opinion: it's not acceptable decide voting by show of hands how many bits the 6502 has (you have to read it's datasheet), and there isn't anything of personal about it, and I don't see how it can be resolved in PM.

Denial is not a kindergarten, but people who are fascinated by idea of experimenting electronics and software with VIC20, but don't know well how to do this, can be considered "vulnerable people": we have to make the forum a safe place for them.

wikipedia is authoritative because anyone can write everything, but its community (and its moderators) guarantee the correctness of the information.

If Denial want became as a football chat where fans of teams use it to quarrel, I must to decide that I will not be an accomplice in this transformation.

I'm not the owner of the forum, I don't have any responsibility for its management, I can only decide what I have decided.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." (Albert Einstein)
highinfidelity
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by highinfidelity »

Mike wrote:
As a forum administrator with circa 15 years experience, I have to disagree with this. There's people who like to jump at other people's throat or stalk them over and over and over, and then over and over again. On a "flat" platform like a forum where everybody's opinion is put on the same level - may the poster be a Noble Prize winner or a complete idiot - there is no possibility for a normal subscriber to stop being stalked unless a moderator or an administrator digs the matter and takes a decision/action.
GOD is REAL. Unless declared DOUBLE PRECISION.
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

MCes wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:53 pmEvidently I was in error when I didn't accepted some embarrassing pseudo-technic prejudices and superstitions,
specially to protect who don't have tools to understand it.
I have seen exactly the same arguments, time and time again from various people concerning climate changes, autism, vaccines and ... electronics.

IMHO, the problem is with you. As soon as the topic turns to finer, less obvious, details of digital electronics, according to you, they simply don't exist. You seem to even be revolted when you see people getting meticulous and very accurate.

This means you're shallow and you react as if you couldn't possibly ever be in error and explode in ranting fit like a prime grade arrogant. Believe me, if the information I posted was pseudo-technic prejudices and superstitions, Mike would have let you and everyone else know about it. The appropriate response from me would have been I stand corrected which is not very familiar to your vocabulary.

How could you possibly have anything to learn from anyone?
Be normal.
joshuadenmark
Big Mover

Post by joshuadenmark »

Count to 100 or whatever needed 😉
Kind regards, Peter.
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

joshuadenmark wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:48 pm Count to 100 or whatever needed 😉
SInce I'm not very good with ML...

Code: Select all

10PRINTCHR$(19)
20FORT=1TO100:PRINTT:NEXT
:wink:

I hope this qualifies...
Be normal.
joshuadenmark
Big Mover

Post by joshuadenmark »

😅😅😅
Kind regards, Peter.
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by MCes »

This time I'm using the Google translator, let's see what happens ...

Judgments that are not directly motivated can only be accepted if they are made by authoritative people, and you are not,
so you cannot afford to spit on people without demonstrating the thesis you want to pass off as judgments.
Every time I answered you curtly, I reported the elements that led me to prove my thesis, so I can say that you are a master of parts exchange:
eslapion wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:47 pm IMHO, the problem is with you. As soon as the topic turns to finer, less obvious, details of digital electronics, according to you, they simply don't exist. You seem to even be revolted when you see people getting meticulous and very accurate.
This means you're shallow and you react as if you couldn't possibly ever be in error and explode in ranting fit like a prime grade arrogant. Believe me, if the information I posted was pseudo-technic prejudices and superstitions, Mike would have let you and everyone else know about it. The appropriate response from me would have been I stand corrected which is not very familiar to your vocabulary.
How could you possibly have anything to learn from anyone?
You've been selling a memory expansion for the C16 for several months and you've never tested it ...... And would you be a correct person?
eslapion wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:51 am Forgot to mention there will also be a version of this board which will provide 64k expansion for the Commodore 16 internally. A very small board you slide under the TED and it will work with ALL versions of the Commodore 16 and cost 18$US (15 Euros) too.
eslapion wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:25 am For the first time in my life, I am the proud owner of a fully functional Commodore 16. On top of that, I developed a 64k RAM expansion for it before I even got to turn it on for the first time.
I don't need your approval: electronics work well without it too.
I have a lot to learn, but not from you: I don't respect you enough as a person and as a technician,
but I suspect that you don't esteem me either, so we are both happy not to be the other one:
What a wonderful world!
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

MCes wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:12 am You've been selling a memory expansion for the C16 for several months and you've never tried it ...... And would you be a correct person?
No, absolutely not! :lol:
I made a prototype for myself. I don't sell incomplete or problematic products unless the caveat is explicit. Unlike you, I am a responsible seller.

Many people have asked about SaRuMan-TED and it is not officially available.
eslapion wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:51 am Forgot to mention there will also be a version of this board which will provide 64k expansion for the Commodore 16 internally. A very small board you slide under the TED and it will work with ALL versions of the Commodore 16 and cost 18$US (15 Euros) too.
Yup... 'there will be' means there is (presently) NOT...
eslapion wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:25 am For the first time in my life, I am the proud owner of a fully functional Commodore 16. On top of that, I developed a 64k RAM expansion for it before I even got to turn it on for the first time.
Unlike you, I don't sell incomplete or problematic products unless the caveat is explicit.
I don't need your approval: electronics work well without it too.
I have a lot to learn, but not from you: I don't respect you enough as a person and as a technician,
but I suspect that you don't esteem me either, so we are both happy not to be the other one:
What a wonderful world!
Your comment about not having anything to learn from me indicates your real problem is your excessive ego. I bruised it and that's the only thing you can see about me now.

I don't have a technician degree, I have an engineering degree. I think you sell products with serious problems and I would gladly show them if I had access to them. A nice video on YouTube.

BTW, you still don't have a clue why GandALF requires a 74HCT74 in order to work properly.
Last edited by eslapion on Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Be normal.