Reasons to get a Vic-20

Discuss anything related to the VIC
Mozartkügel
Vic 20 Amateur
Website: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-WR1I ... GRkZne4B_Q

Reasons to get a Vic-20

Post by Mozartkügel »

Hi guys, I've recently somehow become hypnotized by the VIC-20. The first computer I ever played on was the c64 and my first own computer was the c128 so I'm mainly nostalgic about the c64/128, but I'm really on the verge of getting a real VIC-20 computer, so I was just hoping for a few reasons (real or not) to tip me over. :mrgreen:

My VIC-20 fascination started by watching 8-bit guys VIC-20 videos and then finding out about cheese and onion, damn what a beautiful game and cart / end product! It was love at first sight really haha <3 I recently also typed in a basic game that me and a bunch of friends tried to type in on a friends Vic when we were kids. Unfortanetly back then we didn't know how to correct any errors in the code and we also failed to save the program, so I just had to do it again the right way 30+ years later :mrgreen: That's however my only Vic-20 memory from my childhood.

How does programming it compare to the c64? Is it easier because of less complexity? I've just recently started to slowly learn a bit of assembler for the c64 and again dabbling a bit into c128 basic v.7 and coding by poking around in memory addresses seems to be a complete paradigm shift in my head compared to some quite simple C programming I've been doing before.
Mike
Herr VC

Re: Reasons to get a Vic-20

Post by Mike »

Well, the VIC-20 paved the way for the C64. Simple as that.

They have a very similar CPU, exactly the same BASIC (and nearly the same KERNAL ROM), you can use most peripherals (not those for the cartridge port, though) on both machines - but that's where the similarities end:

Different amount of (maximum available) RAM, different chips for sound and video (VIC-I vs. VIC-II + SID), not exactly equivalent I/O chips (VIA vs. CIA), a completely different "chipset" (i.e. glue logic), etc. With the exception of a very few, very simple BASIC programs, programs written for the VIC-20 will not run on the C64 and vice versa. Not mistaken: each of the two has a fine collection of programs/tools/games that solely run on one of them.

... and the best reason to get a VIC-20 is this forum here. :mrgreen:

Greetings,

Michael
English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by English Invader »

Don't forget the games. I regard the VIC as one of the best systems for old school arcade games (both direct ports and derivatives). Here are a few of my faves:

VIC Rally X (arcade perfect port of Namco's Rally X; also available as Radar Rat Race if you don't mind driving a mouse instead of a car)
Keyquest (maze style collect-em-up )
Shark Attack (Qix style game where you have to avoid being hit by Sharks)
Raid on Fort Knox and the remastered Return to Fort Knox (maze style collect-em-up)
Garden Wars
Berzerk MMX (great port of the arcade classic by our own Robert Hurst)
Jelly Monsters (infinitely better than the official Pac-Man port; also try Robert's Quikman games)
Numerous Space Invaders clones; my personal favourite is Alien Blitz but Avenger and Invader are also good
Snakebite
Clowns
Kweepa's Manic Miner port
Centipede (best Atarisoft port)
Choplifter
Beast of Eden (collect em up)
TenTen and TenTenAgain (two classic games from forum founder and Basic coder extraordinaire Jeff Daniels)

There are more but I think that's enough to get you started.
Mozartkügel
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Mozartkügel »

Hey, thanks for all the reasons! :D I was already going to bid on a nice Vic-20 today but then I noticed the seller didn't accept paypal. Might be I'll wait for a cheaper one appearing on the local auction site. Actually I already went and ordered cheese and onion on real cart so I guess it's just a matter of time now. Wait a minute! Do I need 32K memory on my to be real VIC-20 to play C&O? :shock: :oops:

@Mike, I agree that the community is a very big part of the experience, I mean it wouldn't be any fun playing around with these old gizmos all alone.

@English Invader Hey, thanks for all the game suggestions, looking forward to try out more Vic-20 games. I already played Mower Mania (even though only for a little while) and I liked it a lot.
English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by English Invader »

Mozartkügel wrote:Wait a minute! Do I need 32K memory on my to be real VIC-20 to play C&O? :shock: :oops:
No, you don't. The cartridge contains all the memory it needs which is just as well as the cartridge slot and the expansion slot are one and the same :wink: .
beamrider
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by beamrider »

..I think it would make more sense to buy the Penultimate+ which includes C&O and then allow you to play all the rest of the Vic titles.
Dynamic_Computing
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by Dynamic_Computing »

Without a doubt get the Penultimate cartridge instead. Not only will you get cheese and Onion included, but Rodman and 40+ other games, and 35k memory expansion!
Mozartkügel
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Mozartkügel »

English Invader wrote:
Mozartkügel wrote:Wait a minute! Do I need 32K memory on my to be real VIC-20 to play C&O? :shock: :oops:
No, you don't. The cartridge contains all the memory it needs which is just as well as the cartridge slot and the expansion slot are one and the same :wink: .
Thanks, phew! :lol:
beamrider wrote:..I think it would make more sense to buy the Penultimate+ which includes C&O and then allow you to play all the rest of the Vic titles.
Dynamic_Computing wrote:Without a doubt get the Penultimate cartridge instead. Not only will you get cheese and Onion included, but Rodman and 40+ other games, and 35k memory expansion!
Actually I already bought C&O, because that one as the standalone cart was a must for me, it's just so beautiful<3 :D I need to start saving up for a penultimate for later. Btw. one thing, I guess the penultimate cart works both on PAL and NTSC systems?
Commodorianen
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by Commodorianen »

I also started with a C64 and never had a VIC-20 back in the 80s. I bought a VIC-20 in recent years though (or actually two because the first one pretty quickly got some issues and I don't have knowledge or interest in fixing HW issues) and I think it was fun to play around with, to learn what capabilites it has, to understand where some of the things in the C64 have their origin from etc. I bought a Penultimate cartridge as well.
Mozartkügel
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Mozartkügel »

I agree. I didn't expect to fall head over heels for the Vic-20 haha, but when I got to know more about it I found it to be a very interesting and unique computer.