SX64: Enable the cassette port on your SX64!

Other Computers and Game Systems

Moderator: Moderators

MCes
Vic 20 Afficionado

SX64: Enable the cassette port on your SX64!

Post by MCes »

This modification enable a cassette port on your SX64 as a common Commodore 64!
A.jpg
;
B.jpg
C.jpg
D.jpg
The hardware modification consist in a socket-adapter for the CPU where is placed the hardware of cassette port that is missing into a SX64 but is present into a common C64.
A flat cable start from the adapter and is splitted in 3 branches: 2 single wires (to be connected inside SX: 12V source and the /SRQin serial bus) and the branch wich end with the cassette port connector (mini din 7p for Datassette 1531).
The more common "Datasette 1530" connector wasn't used because it allows accidental short circuit between its pins.

The software modification consist in replacing the original SX kernel with a kernal of a common C64, or replacing it with a modified C64 kernel that appears at boot time as an SX64.

http://sleepingelephant.com/ipw-web/bul ... it=27hc641
2A.jpg
2B.jpg
2C.jpg
2D.jpg
2E.jpg
available:
http://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?10 ... your-SX64!
Last edited by MCes on Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." (Albert Einstein)
eslapion
ultimate expander

Re: SX64: Enable the cassette port on your SX64!

Post by eslapion »

MCes wrote:This modification will enable the functionality of a cassette port on your SX the same as on a common Commodore 64!
A.jpg
;
B.jpg
C.jpg
D.jpg
The hardware alterations consists in a special socket (for the CPU 6510) on which is placed the hardware portion that is present in a common C64 but is missing in a SX64. From this socket, a flat cable is connected and then splits in 3 part: 2 wires (to be connected inside the SX at a +12Vdc source and the /SRQin serial bus line) and the component which ends with the cassette port connector (mini din 7p for the Datassette 1531).
The actual connector for the Datasette 1530 wasn't used because it allows an accidental short circuit between pins.

The software alteration consist in putting a common C64 kernal instead the original SX kernal, or putting a C64 kernal that looks like the SX one....
http://sleepingelephant.com/ipw-web/bul ... it=27hc641
2A.jpg
2B.jpg
2C.jpg
2D.jpg
2E.jpg
29€ + shipment for HW mod (without new kernal ROM)
34€ + shipment for HW mod + new kernal ROM
via Paypal for friend
Thank you for your great english grammar... BTW, that's firmware alteration, NOT software. There is no software per se in a C64 or SX-64 since they use ROM ICs, not floppy disk or hard disk drives to contain their operating systems.

As a technical sidenote, I would care to mention this mod conflicts with JiffyDOS which a lot of people use.
Be normal.
MCes
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by MCes »

:) Eslapion! I'm happy to hear that my "personal stalker" is come back in good shape (I hope..) :lol:

My english is dirty, it isn't a news....

Ignoring the other idiocies, I agree with your analysis about jiffyDOS:
JiffiDOS imply the cassette features sacrifice (as in a common C64),
so, to preserve the jiffyDOS features, a doubleKERNAL (or multiKERNAL) can be placed inside the SX (like as it's possible to do in a C64...).
This is why I'm proposing this mod with or without the kernal ROM chip.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." (Albert Einstein)
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

MCes wrote:... to preserve the jiffyDOS features, a doubleKERNAL (or multiKERNAL) can be placed inside the SX (like as it's possible to do in a C64...).
Yeah, that would work.

JiffyDOS for the SX-64 includes the normal SX-64 kernal and the JiffyDOS kernal and both of them don't support the datassette. This is controlled by the same switch as the 1541 firmware toggling between the normal ROM and the JiffyDOS ROM.

I suppose it's possible to ask Jim Brain for a custom version of JiffyDOS for the SX-64 which includes the 1541 portion but replaces the C64 portion with the standard breadbin ROM instead of the SX-64 one.
Be normal.
groepaz
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by groepaz »

BTW, that's firmware alteration, NOT software. There is no software per se in a C64 or SX-64 since they use ROM ICs
the software stored on the rom is the firmware.
I'm just a Software Guy who has no Idea how the Hardware works. Don't listen to me.
MCes
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by MCes »

This is a breadbin kernal modified in colours and start screen...
kernal_sx_tape.zip
(6.7 KiB) Downloaded 336 times
It can be used to create a single kernal, or a double kernel for drive accelerator (credits will be appreciated)
sx tape.JPG
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

MCes wrote:It can be used to create a single kernal, or a double kernel for drive accelerator (credits will be appreciated)
It can also be used to give new startup colors and message to a standard C64, I suppose.
Be normal.
highinfidelity
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by highinfidelity »

eslapion wrote:Thank you for your great english grammar...
I can't believe you've been so mean and pointed this out, knowing very well that the poster is an EFL speaker!

Why don't you let us enjoy one of your much celebrated essays in Italian? I suppose that since you're so picky with EFLs, your Italian will parallel Dante's, won't it?
GOD is REAL. Unless declared DOUBLE PRECISION.
MCes
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by MCes »

Hi friends,
it don't care: I can't be offended by noting of a simple real fact,
but I can appreciate if it is followed by a suggest about how make more correct the phrases that was not clear.
:wink:
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

MCes wrote:... but I can appreciate if it is followed by a suggest about how make more correct the phrases that was not clear.
:wink:
That's the idea.

My first language is french and I do often check if what I want to say is properly written using Google Translate.
Why don't you let us enjoy one of your much celebrated essays in Italian?
Spero che apprezziate la mia attenzione ai dettagli e il fatto che ho semplicemente corretto il vostro testo invece di giocare al gioco della colpa.
Be normal.
highinfidelity
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by highinfidelity »

eslapion wrote:invece di giocare al gioco della colpa.
:shock: :?: :?: :?: :?

If this was an attempt to show how fluent your Italian is, or to show that a lack of language knowledge can be compensated by using google, you miserably failed I'm afraid.

Rather than play this "game of fault" - whatever this might mean - why don't you simply apologize as any intelligent person would do? You made a mistake and you've been offensive, arguing is useless and further irritating. A gentleman would admit his mistake at this point, and apologize.
GOD is REAL. Unless declared DOUBLE PRECISION.
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

highinfidelity wrote:Rather than play this "game of fault" - whatever this might mean - why don't you simply apologize as any intelligent person would do? You made a mistake and you've been offensive, arguing is useless and further irritating. A gentleman would admit his mistake at this point, and apologize.
My point was that even if English is not my main language, I pay as much attention as I can to ensure people understand what I post while finding it easy to read.

I even take the energy and time to double translate some of things I post from French to English and then back to French to be sure it really means what I'm trying to say.

Why should I apologize because I am noting some people post things that are very difficult to read and/or understand ?
You made a mistake and you've been offensive, arguing is useless and further irritating. A gentleman would admit his mistake at this point, and apologize.
Maybe it's offensive to you. What I do find offensive is your shallow and oversensitive reaction. A gentleman would not respond strictly according to his ego and as such I think it's you who's making a serious mistake and should apologize.

MCes seems to have understood the point much better and since I did exactly what he suggested, to offer suggestions to make the information easier to read and understand, I believe I'm not simply playing a 'blaming game'. I do what a gentleman should do, offer a solution.

I take your reply as a form of contempt for my own efforts in both writing good English and the time I took to rewrite MCes's original post.

A lot of times people rewrite, alter or correct things I posted and I take it as an opportunity for learning and improvement, like MCes did. Not as a personal attack, like you did. I may be wrong but I think what MCes did is what gentlemen should do.
Be normal.
MCes
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by MCes »

Hey guys,
did you notice that this "SX64 cassette port enabler threads" is composed principally by off-topic posts?.

Any reader can form own opinion about what was wrote,
and about who wrote what....

I don't find helpful continue to write about this off-topic subject..

I ask to moderators to split this thread, thank you all
MCes
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by MCes »

new price!