You most often used cartridges?

Discuss anything related to the VIC
Boray
Musical Smurf

You most often used cartridges?

Post by Boray »

My most often used cartridges:

1. Has to be ram carts
2. Our very own disk-util cart (SYS25020) Thanks again Leif and everyone who helped!
3. Programmer's Aid. Thanks Chris!
4. Omega Race. Thanks Chris!*
5. Hesmon

*Well, it's not your cart I'm using any more (as you know Bacon has got it). But the modem I got for it, I use everyday ;)

What's your list?

/Anders
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Outside of Vixen RAM cart... not sure!

(Vixen cart is switch configurable for 3K, 8K and 16K)
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
vic user
VicGyver

Post by vic user »

depends what i am doing, which i guess is the same for a lot of you:

if i am doing one of my half baked projects, i use the 40 column card with 16K and the prog. aid cart, all running at the same time.

if i am playing games from ROM's on disk, i have my maxed out 32K card out.

if i am screwing around with my breadboard, i have my homemade interface card out.

chris
Alan
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Alan »

I have a 3 slot expansion cart that usually contains:

1) Schema's VIC Utility Cartridge
2) 16K RAM
3) Programmers' Aid Cart
Alan
Schema
factor

Post by Schema »

1. The disk utility cart
2. Cardco RAM Expansion (2 banks switchable anywhere)
3. Miscellaneous games
4. Programmer's Aid

I have a 4-slot expander with switches so I can leave them all connected at the same time, just switch on the ones I need.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I am suprised that so many use the programmer's aid cart. I have one, but never really explored it. What are the main benefits of it? Which commands do you find most useful? Also, is the hesmon cart considered better in any way over the commodore ML monitor?
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
vic user
VicGyver

Post by vic user »

i use 'renumber' and 'merge' A LOT!

you can also assign some amazing scripts to the function keys, like having one do a directory listing of a floppy etc..

chris
Bacon
for breakfast

Re: You most often used cartridges?

Post by Bacon »

Boray wrote:*Well, it's not your cart I'm using any more (as you know Bacon has got it).
...which would be number 1 on my list. I don't use carts that much since I have Nicolas Welte's RAM/ROM expansion inside my VIC-20 CR. I stick the Omega Race cart in there once in a while just for the authentic feel of a real cart.

When I use my old-style VIC, I always plug in a switchable 32K RAM cart.

Glad to hear that the modem is being used :-)
Bacon
-------------------------------------------------------
Das rubbernecken Sichtseeren keepen das cotton-pickenen Hands in die Pockets muss; relaxen und watschen die Blinkenlichten.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Switchable RAM expansion only.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Alan
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Alan »

Jeff-20 wrote:I am suprised that so many use the programmer's aid cart. I have one, but never really explored it. What are the main benefits of it?
RENUMBER and MERGE are quite useful, I like the AUTO line numbering too. FIND and CHANGE are very useful for editing larger programs. You can DUMP all the variables in your programs to a list, very handy for debugging.

There are a lot of Control-key combinations that enhance editing quite a bit. I like CTRL-Q and CTRL-A particularly. You can scroll up and down BASIC listings with them-- very useful.

Being able to program function keys is great, of course, particularly with Schema's cart. I'll define f1 to equal "@$" for example, to get a disk directory-- just like JiffyDOS.

It's just a great utility all around. Once you start using it, you'll wonder how you ever got by without it.
Alan
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

My favourite programmer's aid commands: Renumber, Find, Change, Dump. Scrolling up and down with Ctrl-Q and A. Another thing I like is that you can have it plugged in always and just start it with the SYS when you need it. And you can do that at anytime. If you for example are running a program, have stopped it and want to see all the variables. You can just start programmer's aid with the sys and then type DUMP. After that, you can turn it off again if you like with KILL.

/Anders
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
Tonks
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Tonks »

I am feeling like a dumb bugger. My most used carts are all games. My memory expansions get used a bit, but only when loading a game that requires them.
Sparky
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by Sparky »

Tonks wrote:I am feeling like a dumb bugger. My most used carts are all games. My memory expansions get used a bit, but only when loading a game that requires them.
im all about the games as well… Gorf, Radar Ratrace, Miner2049er, Garden Wars and my wife really likes Mole Attack, i like it better with a few drinks :roll: