CMD Super CPU

Other Computers and Game Systems

Moderator: Moderators

DrVeryEvil
Vic 20 Amateur

CMD Super CPU

Post by DrVeryEvil »

Does anyone know if there was any way to load/save code that was in any bank other than bank 0. Was the extra memory above 64K used for programs, or just used for a ramdisk?
Mike
Herr VC

Re: CMD Super CPU

Post by Mike »

DrVeryEvil wrote:Does anyone know if there was any way to load/save code that was in any bank other than bank 0.
There exist monitor programs for the SCPU, which can access the entire RAM, so it should be possible, yes.
Was the extra memory above 64K used for programs, or just used for a ramdisk?
Well, just take Metal Dust. Need I say more? That game surely didn't use the extra RAM "just" for a RAM Disk. Otherwise you could have used a REU with a stock C64 to run Metal Dust.

The 65816 in the SCPU allows to run programs in the entire available RAM, also the programs can access the entire RAM for data. Just the VIC chip is limited to the RAM built into the C64 - i.e. graphics data still has to reside in "bank 0".
DrVeryEvil
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by DrVeryEvil »

I've heard that banks above 0 cannot be saved on commodore drives, so it must be a CMD drive is necessary to save banks above bank 0. Does anyone know an email for Maurice Randall, formerly of CMD?
J.E.E.K.
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by J.E.E.K. »

Mike wrote:
DrVeryEvil wrote:Does anyone know if there was any way to load/save code that was in any bank other than bank 0.
There exist monitor programs for the SCPU, which can access the entire RAM, so it should be possible, yes.
I want to recommend Jammon (Jamaica Monitor) http://www.ffd2.com/fridge/jammon/
It has some issues, which I had fixed for my project. Also moved the source to ACME syntax.
Mike wrote:
Was the extra memory above 64K used for programs, or just used for a ramdisk?
Well, just take Metal Dust. Need I say more? That game surely didn't use the extra RAM "just" for a RAM Disk. Otherwise you could have used a REU with a stock C64 to run Metal Dust.

The 65816 in the SCPU allows to run programs in the entire available RAM, also the programs can access the entire RAM for data. Just the VIC chip is limited to the RAM built into the C64 - i.e. graphics data still has to reside in "bank 0".
Metal Dust needs 2.5 MByte of linear accessible RAM, but code execution happens only in bank 0, starting with bank 2 for data only according to one of the developers.
The issue is that bank 0 coexists as a shadow RAM for the 65816 CPU for faster access and is copied (write through by hardware with pipelining and buffering) to the real and slow RAM and I/O on the C64 board (maybe asynchronously), for instance to let the VIC know about graphic changes as already mentioned above. The SuperCPU has several modes to do it (for newer revisions in a more fine-grained manner).
groepaz
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by groepaz »

I've heard that banks above 0 cannot be saved on commodore drives, so it must be a CMD drive is necessary to save banks above bank 0.
WAT. no. why would the drive care where the data came from?
I'm just a Software Guy who has no Idea how the Hardware works. Don't listen to me.