Advice on a VIC-1020 shell restoration

Discuss anything related to the VIC
orion70
VICtalian

Advice on a VIC-1020 shell restoration

Post by orion70 »

Hello there. Having rescued a very old and rusty VIC-1020 (shell only), I am slowly fitting it in a decent retro-setup. In particular, I spray-painted the 1020 and opened, cleaned up as much as possible a Commodore 1085S monitor and a VIC-20 CR. I cooled its mobo with a couple of heatsinks and tested using the excellent Tynemouth Software hardware (see pics).

Also, in the last picture, you can see that the plastic band on the metal sheet of the 1020 is partially detached, with anti-aesthetic consequences. I thought about restoring it, but don't know how, and don't want to worsen the situation. Anyone can suggest a try? Wet it with water, or something else? Cooling it? Warming with an hairdryer? I won't hold you accountable for future disaster :).
Attachments
3.jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg
English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

Re: Advice on a VIC-1020 shell restoration

Post by English Invader »

The pictures don't seem to be available. It says "You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post". What's with that?
mrr19121970
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by mrr19121970 »

Mail Tommes

he will make you one

https://shop.pixelwizard.eu/aufkleber/
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

English Invader wrote:The pictures don't seem to be available. It says "You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post". What's with that?
The pictures show up here (even if I'm not logged in). Sorry, cannot help. Anyone else has this problem?
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

mrr19121970 wrote:Mail Tommes

he will make you one

https://shop.pixelwizard.eu/aufkleber/
Hey, thanks so much! Will definitely consider, should I worsen the label trying to restore it.
vicist
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by vicist »

No pictures for me neither. Same permission problem. :cry:
English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

vicist wrote:No pictures for me neither. Same permission problem. :cry:
Same deal with 3 different browsers (Firefox, Google Chrome and Pale Moon). I'm able to view pictures in other threads just not this one.
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Edited first post (fewer and smaller pictures, with short names). Are they still invisible?
English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

orion70 wrote:Edited first post (fewer and smaller pictures, with short names). Are they still invisible?
Yes, same problem.

One thing that hasn't been clarified yet is whether the pictures are unviewable to everyone except the poster or whether it's just a few individuals. If anyone other than Orion can see these images, please step forward.
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

orion70 wrote:The pictures show up here (even if I'm not logged in). Sorry, cannot help. Anyone else has this problem?
Yup!
Edited first post (fewer and smaller pictures, with short names). Are they still invisible?
Yup!
Be normal.
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

OK, free image host then :(

English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

Everything seems to be fine now :) .
Kakemoms
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by Kakemoms »

I can see the pictures now. A very nice restoration!
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Thanks! Any suggestion about the label?
highinfidelity
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by highinfidelity »

Oh here I finally see your latest purchase! (or better yet: re-purchase! :wink: )

About the label: is it plastic, or a very thin sheet of metal? If it appears to be self-adhesive, you may want to try to heat it with a heat gun. In many cases it's so effective that the label would basically peel off with almost no mechanical action. If it's plastic you have to be very careful not to overheat it, otherwise it will melt and deform. If it's metal you have to be very careful not to bend it while you pull it, or it will show many "bends" as vertical stripes in the metal (as I idiotically did with my Colecovision...); try to help it with a blade.

If it's not self-adhesive but pasted with glue, you might try to remove it either mechanically (again with the help of a blade), or by progressively melting the glue with "nitro" solvent beginning in a corner and then lifting the label a bit, wet the glue with solvent, lift another bit, etc. (Please note that I ignore if the writings would also be dissolved).

If the label strip is still decent at the end of the removal, the "professional" way is to spray the back with one of those spray adhesives made by 3M ("Spray Mount") and paste it back; the cheaper way is to use some "Artiglio" yellow glue bought at the local ferramenta. :wink:

If the label tears or anyway looks like poo after removing, I think you should consider having a repro made. Perhaps any of those guys that sell "new" carts for the VIC20 or the Atari may help.

In any case perhaps you should have removed the label first, and then rehauled the metal cabinet, re-painted it etc. while the label was off... :|
Last edited by highinfidelity on Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
GOD is REAL. Unless declared DOUBLE PRECISION.