Video Poker

Basic and Machine Language

Moderator: Moderators

Schlowski
NoMess!

Post by Schlowski »

So, another time, another version :-)

Corrected behaviour when reaching more then 999 coins and changed color on bottom to white on dark blue, maybe this is more readable on real VIC/TV?

7 bytes free after some rounds - we get very close to filling every basic byte up...
Schlowski
NoMess!

Post by Schlowski »

And just another version...

Now it counts the wins for each type in memory 880-889, after you have finished you can simply

Code: Select all

FORT=0TO9:?PEEK(880+T):NEXT
to see how many losses, pairs etc. you had. It's in the same order as the winning table.
Next thing is that I will try to squeeze this information into the program if one runs out of coins...

Schlowski

(link removed)
Last edited by Schlowski on Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Schlowski
NoMess!

Post by Schlowski »

Finally I got it managed to have some sort of output at the end of the game.
Instead of the manual For-Next-Loop to print your winning counts as mentioned in the previous post, the programm will do this at the end itself - it even will print it into the according winning table lines.

Interesting part is line 19, this clears the "screen line link" table, i.e. making every line on screen to be not connected to the next line.
Since I was printing 2 lines at once in single print statements, the system thought of these lines as linked (like basic lines with more then 22 characters), these led to some strange screen positioning with {down} and comma separated printing...

Now I think I'm finished with what is possible to squeeze into my little VPoker proggy, but who knows what the future will bring :-)

Have fun
Schlowski
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Hmmm.... I just sent you a version with my own changes... :lol: Now I will download your new version to see if we did the same things ;) I would guess not...

/Anders
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
Schlowski
NoMess!

Post by Schlowski »

And I've just answered to you :-)

Astonishing enough, we both choose the same color for the info row, but you get one step further and made the border the same color - I just updated my own version with the border color - nice idea.

(links removed)

Now let's go back about 25 years and publish our work, I'm sure we would get an article and printed source in any computer magazine of those days: "Videopoker - Las Vegas action for the unexpanded VIC / From Boray and Schlowski" :wink:
Last edited by Schlowski on Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

But in my version, the bottom messages are also deleted with a "reversed" space so that the little extra right corner blip isn't that obvious. ;) I put the reversed sign in KD$ to save some bytes...

The bad thing about the ending score table is that you won't see it if you don't want to waste all of your money first! ;) Maybe put a quit-button in there too ;) If you remove line 19 then maybe... ;)

I don't understand why you needed to alter the screen link table? When I breaked the program to set the score to 1000 or something and then CONTinued, then the games value wasn't displayed because of the card characters or something. But if you run normally, then it works. For example, try to set PK=99 in line 68 and then win some points...

Maybe we even could have sold this game 25 years ago! ;)

/Anders
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
Schlowski
NoMess!

Post by Schlowski »

The screen link table has to be corrected for the ending scores, not while running... Has nothing to do with the nasty >99 coin bug.
Try removing line 19, set PK to 1 and then try not to win too much:-) When you run out of coins you will see a total screwed up screen in the end.
Make the same with line 19 enabled and see the difference - difficult to explain but easy to see...

Clearing with the reversed string is a good idea - I didn't spot that while trying your version. This will get into my version, too - just another 'borrowed' code from Boray ;-)

And if I will get some more bytes free, maybe we can use 'q' for quit.

Unfortunately I cannot upload from home, have to wait until tomorrow when I'm back in the office - for some reasons my write permissions are gone via FTP so I have to put my files via local network to my web space.

Back to Videpoker -39 coins left, game 89 in progress :P
Schlowski
NoMess!

Post by Schlowski »

Next version is ready, now with reversed clearing of the bottom line and the ability to quit after every round with 'q'.

The last few bytes I needed for implementing the quit feature I got from thinking about my arrays. Cutting the length of 3 arrays about one element gave the last few bytes - my habit of DIM c$(4) when using c$(0)-c$(3) is really wasteful :-)

I'm not really happy with the display at the end and I wish I had the possibility to switch between display of winning points and already won combinations during gameplay, but I do not see how to get these features into the current version.
What's also missing is the ability to have bets greater 1, i.e. before starting a round pushing the bet as high as one wants.

Another thing that bothers me is that the winning points seem a little bit too high, it's quite difficult to get down to 0 coins ;-) Unfortunately it's years ago since I last played this in our local arcade.

Nevertheless this whole project gave me back a lot of the fun and thrill I had when the VIC was new to me!

Schlowski
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

And now... published on my homepage:
http://user.tninet.se/~pug510w/datormuseum/vpoker.html

Thanks again for this project!

Btw. Look at the screenshoot. By the score you should be able to tell that I got a flush in my first game and a full house in my second. What are the odds for that!? :lol:

/Anders
Schlowski
NoMess!

Post by Schlowski »

So then for Anders I will lower the winning points a lot ;-)

A new version is up, but since it is only tested very short, I decided to make a new file:

(link removed)

After a round, when you decide to deal (space) or quit (q) you now can toggle the winning point table (p) between points and matches (how often you got this combination).
I am very happy with this, it was not so easy to get the needed free bytes out of the program. Now nearly every variable is single char (a-z are all used!) and the source is definately unreadable now :roll:

If this version is tested a little bit more, I will drop the previuos version and keep only one version alive.

Have fun
Schlowski
Last edited by Schlowski on Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Oh, I just sent you an email... Maybe you could exchange the space key for my mother as well then? ;)

/Anders
Schlowski
NoMess!

Post by Schlowski »

Mmh, I think my spam filter has 'eaten' your eMail and from here I cannot look into that folder :-(

Maybe you can just write here or send me a pm?

Schlowski
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

I will re-post it here then:

Hi!

I don't know if you have seen it yet on the forum, but I have made a little web page for it now:
http://user.tninet.se/~pug510w/datormuseum/vpoker.html

I let my mother play the game. And she had a little problem first because she pressed space too long so that it started to repeat. Meaning she could not select any cards... Maybe another key is better? To make it more playable for old women and children, kind of ;-) But once she lerned to press short enough she played for about 50 rounds and she said she thought it was very nice.

/Anders
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Another sollution could be: POKE198,0
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

I just sent you a new email with a new version!

And this is the email message, in case you didn't get it:

Hello!

I made some more changes to your program. I hope you don't think I've done too much now. This is what I've done:

* I put in poke198,0 in two places to prevent my mother's keyboard behaviour. ;-)
* The feedback sound sounds every time you press a key.
* The coins value can now have 4 digits and still there is one space left before the game count.
* Removed the Quit option. I didn't think it was neccesary when you have that point statistics toggle key. And it also looked ugly if you quit with a winning marked.
* Mention of the P key in the bottom info bar.
* If you have the point statistics visible while playing, they will be updated.
* When winning, you will see your coins being increased.
* Various memory saving things to get space for the above... I hope I haven't destroyed too much of the code there ;-)

/Anders