Flickering or Offset but Correct Characters

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

EnableShowRun
Vic 20 Newbie

Flickering or Offset but Correct Characters

Post by EnableShowRun »

Hello! I recently received a non working VIC-20 from a relative's trash can and have decided to try to get it working again. Using my multimeter I found that the power supply was dead and that the computer needed a new fuse, both of which I received and installed today.

After turning the computer on I was greeted with familiar colors, but the text kept shaking around. It looks like each character is printing it's top half in both halves a few times every second, and the cursor appears twice, once where it's supposed to be and once ~5 characters ahead of that position (even going to the next line if that position is off screen). I'll link an imgur album of all of this down below.

Using my multimeter I've managed to deduce that the hex inverters and the 5-5-5 timer are both working correctly, and that there doesn't appear to be any broken traces on the board, if I take both of the PIA (?) chips out the flickering stops but the characters still have their strange appearance. I have also cleaned and re-seated all of the socketed chips and well as give the board a good spray down with contact cleaner. No change.

Typing in commands works, as hard as they are to read.

Pictures and short video:
https://imgur.com/gallery/rQnzfHd
https://drive.google.com/file/d/12UZzqw ... p=drivesdk

Any ideas on what could be causing this? I've read through the troubleshooting guide and nothing quite matched these symptoms. I wanted some input before I started ordering parts willy nilly. Thanks in advance for any advice you can give!
Noizer
Vic 20 Devotee

Re: Flickering or Offset but Correct Characters

Post by Noizer »

Hi ESR, did you try to swap the vic chip (6561Pal or 6560 NTSC) for another one?
It looks to me like an raster fx, so this could be the cause of issue.
greetz
Valid rule today as earlier: 1 Byte = 8 Bits
-._/classes instead of masses\_.-
EnableShowRun
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by EnableShowRun »

I was worried the video chip would be the likely culprit, I do not have another one to test with unfortunately. It
also looks like that's the hardest part to find.

Do you know of any potential way to test if this is the cause before getting a replacement?
Overdoc
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Overdoc »

This looks to me like bad contact of the VIC.
I had very similar picture today in my VIC-20 which I use for testing.
The problem was gone after I bent the pins to correct position (a bit inward to make better contact in the original socket), and re-seated the VIC.
Overdoc
EnableShowRun
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by EnableShowRun »

Thank you for your replies! I just wanted to do a fallow up to say that it was indeed the VIC chip. No matter what I did the original wouldn't work but I got a replacement and now it's good as new!