*ALL PHYSICAL COPIES ARE SOLD OUT*: REALMS OF QUEST V (Digital version is available)

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

hasseapa
Vic 20 Devotee

Re: Work in progress: REALMS OF QUEST V

Post by hasseapa »

Sure it would be nice with origInal art but as you say, it would take forever (or alternatively be of really poor quality).

There are great public domain art. This site has some lovely example from the 19th century http://florent.coste.free.fr/galerie/index.php?idx=1
I am not sure they will transfer well to VIC though as they are often detailed and a bit murky.
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

I recall having a C&D against my website a LONG time back for mentioning certain Nintendo titles, let alone even having anything available for download... I think a spider bot was doing an internet trawl for any mentions of videogames.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

hasseapa wrote:Sure it would be nice with origInal art but as you say, it would take forever (or alternatively be of really poor quality).

There are great public domain art. This site has some lovely example from the 19th century http://florent.coste.free.fr/galerie/index.php?idx=1
I am not sure they will transfer well to VIC though as they are often detailed and a bit murky.
While public domain images are great (and I've used them as well), there is just too much great stuff that is easily accessible from Google Image search. If I apply filters to limit the search result to public domain stuff, I'll be hampered by my choices. Take for example this image that I just converted to VIC-20 format which is one of the better ones that have been made so far:
realms5.jpg
I used just the face portion of a larger work of art on a publicly accessible internet forum, adjusted the brightness/contrast levels and modified a few pixels and here is the end result. It took me about 30 minutes to do this. But there was a learning curve on how to best produce images like these through a lot of trial and error in my earlier images. The original work was in fairly low resolution (the artist probably only provides higher resolution ones to those who pay for them), but that plays quite well in what I'm trying to do because the resultant image has to fit in and look good as 44*88 pixels.

For sure, I am taking/borrowing/stealing the work of others--those who put in the hard work to compose and create the images. This certainly saves me quite a bit of time.

But the image of the spectral woman will add a certain Gothic element in a portion of the game and this creates atmosphere. There's never been anything like it that was showcased in a VIC-20 game before.

And there's not only that, but I borrow quite a bit from the game mechanics of Oubliette, a 1970s mainframe RPG. Oubliette also influenced Wizardry quite heavily without the latter's attribution, I might add. But only hardcore computer RPG fans would recognize the similarities between my game and the original. In fact, I did _some_ playtesting for the iOS version of Oubliette a few years ago. And _ALL_ computer roleplaying games owe a huge debt to the makers of Dungeons & Dragons which was also inspired heavily by Tolkien.

"Good artists copy. Great artists steal" -- Steve Jobs

Led Zeppelin's song catalog borrowed quite a bit from American blues artists, and they've had to settle lawsuits for these controversies. That doesn't take away from their creativity in how they performed these songs as well as adding their own interpretation of them. And Star Wars of all things, borrows a lot of it's imagery quite heavily from a 1960s comic book:

https://www.pri.org/stories/2015-12-16/ ... -star-wars

And even original artwork on the web probably copy-pastes a lot of elements from others, rather than creating them entirely from scratch. If one looks at Realms of Quest V as a singular work rather than 350 pieces of 44*88 pixel art, then it's basically a collage, pastiche and mashup coming from many existing elements of others' work.
"A slave is one who waits for someone to come and free him." -- Ezra Pound
cbmeeks
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by cbmeeks »

Ghislain wrote:AtariAge.com has sold cartridges that were adaptations of Lady Bug and other arcade classics. I'm not sure if they had permission to do so, or if these games are considered to be abandonware where the copyright holders probably don't care all that much.
I'm a huge fan of AtariAge. However, some of the more popular members there are doing things I really wonder how they are getting away with it. Like taking MSX games and classic arcade games (Donkey Kong, Pac Man, etc.) and upgrading them for the SGM. They are damn near perfect copies. Which, is great to me! However, how legal is it?

I don't dare ask because they start getting really defensive about such questions.

Oh well...sorry about going OT.
Cat; the other white meat.
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

cbmeeks wrote:I'm a huge fan of AtariAge. However, some of the more popular members there are doing things I really wonder how they are getting away with it. Like taking MSX games and classic arcade games (Donkey Kong, Pac Man, etc.) and upgrading them for the SGM. They are damn near perfect copies. Which, is great to me! However, how legal is it?

I don't dare ask because they start getting really defensive about such questions.

Oh well...sorry about going OT.
It's definitely not legal, of course. And while it is "immoral" in the technical sense, they're really just a small vanity publisher using the IP of the big conglomorates and the like. Today's fans of the Atari 2600 are really passionate about a console that is a pop culture icon and the creation of classic arcade ports for that machine provides a form of validation of the video game machine of their youth. I certainly don't hold it against them and I'm certain that the fans who buy these adaptations are quite thrilled about holding physical copies of these games in their hands. The production of these games satisfies a curisosity about "What if X arcade game had been ported to the Atari 2600 back in the day?".

You didn't go OT at all, actually. I was the one who brought up AtariAge.com.

I just finished working on a Giant Skeleton image:
realms5.jpg
The source which I can attribute it to a Japanese painting from the 1800s, which definitely falls into public domain:

Last edited by Ghislain on Wed May 02, 2018 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
cbmeeks
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by cbmeeks »

Man, you are an absolute Rembrandt of VIC-20 graphics.

I don't care what your methods are....that's friggin' awesome!
Cat; the other white meat.
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

cbmeeks wrote:Man, you are an absolute Rembrandt of VIC-20 graphics.

I don't care what your methods are....that's friggin' awesome!
Thanks for the endorsement! I hope the end result will live up to everybody's expectations.

I took a break from working on the dungeons and decided to work on City number 15 (actually 16, because they are numbered 0-19), "Minas Maeglindor".

Here are some screenshots:
3.png
2.png
1.png
hasseapa
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by hasseapa »

Ghislain wrote:
"Good artists copy. Great artists steal" -- Steve Jobs
Doubtlessly all human achievements, whether in science, techonology or the arts, build on previous works. Visual art and music much more so than most people realize.

The quote itself is yet another example :wink:
https://quoteinvestigator.com/2013/03/06/artists-steal/
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

Currently working on the latest dungeon, "The Ruins Of Whirlpoole" -- a long, lost underwater civilization where you will encounter adventure, romance and intrigue.
realms5.jpg
realms6.jpg
realms7.jpg
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

There are mermaids in the game.
Last edited by Ghislain on Fri May 10, 2019 7:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
mingle
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by mingle »

Mermaid? I thought it was a Page-3 Girl!
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

I wanna become a fish :wink:
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

Thanks, all.

I've been mostly posting updates to my Twitter page: https://twitter.com/hitfan2000

... but here's a compilation of my most recent images for this game.
realms3.jpg
mingle
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by mingle »

I've been following this thread from day one and it's looking better than ever.

It's still hard to believe that those images are from a Vic-20 game... :-)

Mike.
Kakemoms
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by Kakemoms »

Oh, I need to follow you on twitter then. I am "r1a2" on twitter. :roll: