VIC-TRACKER COMPO 2005 official thread!

Discuss anything related to the VIC
tlr
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by tlr »

carlsson wrote:Hm, a live play mode (as it is called in other trackers) may be a good feature. Currently, the best you can get is to set start and stop to the same block, mute the other channels and edit while playing the same block over and over.
That's one quite efficient way to do it, although you may get bored with the same loop going over and over again.
I find myself usually just editing some pattern combination, and when I really want to hear it I just run it with "F1". (and stop it with 'P')
This plays the combination of patterns from the current pattern list row.
tlr
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by tlr »

The VIC-TRACKER COMPO 2005 was enthusiastically mentioned in Earl Evans' Retrobits Podcast Show 017: Mix and Match (6:31 - 9:29).
Have a listen! :)
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Less than ten days to go now!
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
aneurysm
not your PAL

Post by aneurysm »

I lost half my track , didn't save right....

haven;t started working on it again yet...
tlr
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by tlr »

aneurysm wrote:I lost half my track , didn't save right....

haven;t started working on it again yet...
Then it's about time... :wink:
It would be fun if you made an entry! :)
aneurysm
not your PAL

Post by aneurysm »

i'll definitely get something in...
even if i procrastinate to the last day :lol: :shock: :roll: :wink: :idea: :?:
aneurysm
not your PAL

Post by aneurysm »

i just sent my track
is there really only me and carlson?
that is kinda sad
but the tracker is rather cumbersome
did my best with a couple hours before work and what was left of my track from before :wink:
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

I was meaning to compose one more, but I got a request to compose music for another production, so I put my energy into that. I'm not sure which kind of music that fits the other prod, so currently I have a half dozen different ideas and musical sketches going on. Perhaps a few of those will materialize into complete songs one day.

At least, Daniel got some more people to really try the editor, and in my case find a list of bugs for the future. I suppose people on VORC and other places where skilled computer musicians hang around are busy enough with their own projects and systems to not experiment with yet another one. Maybe the VIC-I sound chip is considered too inferior to be fun to play with?
Anders Carlsson

aneurysm
not your PAL

Post by aneurysm »

I thoroughly enjoy it's inferiority. Especially the fact that certains notes are out of key. If you take away the NES 2A03's DPCM channel and the ability to set pulse width they would be equals. Well, but, the 2A03 chip is in tune... and each channel has an 8 octave range.... But that doesn't stop me from doing work in both!
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

I suppose that other chip is at least five, if not ten years newer too? The VIC-I chip was developed in the late 70'ties and supposedly ready to be sold in 1978 or at least 79. Of course, it is not an excuse why Commodore decided to reserve one bit for on/off and the remaining seven bits for frequency, unless setting frequency with gate bit off really has a special meaning (changing pulse width or so).
Anders Carlsson

tlr
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by tlr »

aneurysm wrote:i just sent my track
is there really only me and carlson?
that is kinda sad
but the tracker is rather cumbersome
did my best with a couple hours before work and what was left of my track from before :wink:
A bit sad, but hey, two entries is still a competition. :wink:
I'll put yours up on the page during the evening!
If anybody wants to do a late submission, it's fine until this weekend.
tlr
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by tlr »

aneurysm wrote:I thoroughly enjoy it's inferiority. Especially the fact that certains notes are out of key. If you take away the NES 2A03's DPCM channel and the ability to set pulse width they would be equals. Well, but, the 2A03 chip is in tune... and each channel has an 8 octave range.... But that doesn't stop me from doing work in both!
Yes, I find that quite charming too. I really enjoyed doing that piece I did with the VIC-20 synced to Cubase.
aneurysm
not your PAL

Post by aneurysm »

the demo track for victracker is really, really sweet

this is funny -- if one of us wins the other is a complete loser!
the logistics of it all!
i'm scared...

actually -- i lost count of how many compos i've been dead last in....
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Have you heard the joke about when the Soviet Union and the USA agreed to have a car race, one car from each country?

The US car won by several laps over the Soviet one, and in the Russian newspapers the next morning, one could read:

"Soviet Union ends up in second place. The United States was second last." :)
Anders Carlsson

tlr
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by tlr »

aneurysm wrote:the demo track for victracker is really, really sweet
Thanks. :) (Although I don't know which of them you mean.)

I uploaded your entry on the page. Please load it up and check that it sounds like you intended. I'm not 100% sure my song compiler did a correct conversion.