Modem to modem

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

Jimb33
Vic 20 Newbie

Modem to modem

Post by Jimb33 »

Anyone ever use VICTerm I to talk directly to their PC? I'm trying to transfer data via XMODEM (on PC) with the modems connected directly with a phone cord. I can get a connection, but no responses. Not sure if modems are working properly or if I'm doing something that just isn't going to work. Thanks in advance for your help!
Leeeeee
soldering master

Post by Leeeeee »

You get a CONNECT xxxx message on the PC to say the modems are talking to each other?

If so it should work, however you may need to simulate the off hook DC voltage to get the modems to work. See ..

http://www.jagshouse.com/modem.html

Lee.
vic user
VicGyver

Post by vic user »

if you get the vic to talk directly to the pc, let me know.

i haven't been able to find a terminal program for the vic that has any binary file transfer protocols.

my method has been to use a C64 as the middle guy between the pc and the vic.

i have the C64's modem hooked up directly to the pc's modem, just using a phone cord and nothing else, and then transfer files via Xmodem using the computers' respective terminal programs, and then pop the floppy out of the C64's drive, and then off i go to my vic 20.

not as fast as an X1541 and all that, but this method cost me nothing to set up.

chris
Jimb33
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by Jimb33 »

I'm not sure the VIC modem is even working right. I have two model 1660's. When I start the VICTerm I with modem on originate on one of them it just displays random characters constantly. The other does nothing when VICTerm I is started with modem on originate, but I eventually get a fast busy signal on the phone line like the phone is off the hook when it isn't and I can't hang it up. :?
Should I get one working I'll be sure and post updates on connecting directly to a PC modem.
Martin Massie
Vic 20 Newbie

VIC to MAC

Post by Martin Massie »

I need connect my vic-20 with my Mac g3. I will like download .PRG on my vic-20. I have 3 modems ( vic-1600 vic-1660 and volks ) but I dont have software. I need short basic program. Anybody help me ...

TKS! Martin
rwv01
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by rwv01 »

Sorry to pull up such an old thread, but what terminal software will work for this purpose on machine running Windows XP?
rwv01
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by rwv01 »

I can get a connection now and text back and forth between my Vic and my Windows '98 pc. (using my newest machine to research this)

I'm using HyperTerminal in Windows, and "t40" (40 column terminal program by HES) for the Vic. 1670 modem in the Vic and 56K Actiontec in the Windows pc.

Two thing I haven't figured out yet:
I can't see what I type in HyperTerminal (shows up fine in "t40")
Could be Echoing isn't set up properly in both terminals.

I can't call from HyperTerminal (I get "no dial tone")

I haven't tried file transfers yet.