Basic and Machine Language

Moderator: Moderators

Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Only You

Post by Jeff-20 »

Only You

Basic Program
For the unexpanded VIC 20 with Joystick required.

http://sleepingelephant.com/denial/ONLYYOU.PRG

This is a simple puzzle game. I hope you like it. I made this a while ago. I recall hiding some features in it, but I am not really sure of the details. I think there are key combos in which you can play alternate versions of the game. I think you have to beat the game first to see exactly how to do this.
Only You Instructions

You are resposible for creating loving couples. Use your joystick to pair them. Press the fire button to make a match. Press the fire button on incompatible couples to change their postitions.

You must match over 70% to progress to another round. Match more for a Bonus Game. Win the game for a new version of play.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Wow! Very nice game... Kind of tetris like but very original! Looks very nice too, professional. How do you do with your graphics? Do you just save the whole memory. with program, graphics and all into one file?

/Anders
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

yeah, I just save the whole memory by adjusting the pointers and letting the program readjust them after run. I need all the memory I can get.

Thanks for the compliments.
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Sometimes when I press fire to switch position of two things, then I don't manage to release fire fast enough and that makes them to switch back again. That is a little anoying... Just a little note if you like to improve the game...

/Anders
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Yes! I had that problem too. When I try to fix it, I had problems sometimes trying to "switch" them back. I am having a hard time figuring out a delay time that will prevent this problem but not slow down the cursor movement. I am open to code suggestions.
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Put in a check somewhere that the button in up.

If you don't want the program to delay while holding down the button, then how about this:

start:
if NOT (buttondown) then b=0

if (buttondown) AND b=0 then
switch the things
b=1
end if

your
normal
program
loop

goto start

....or if you have a delay loop somewhere, then put the buttonup check inside:

for t=1 to 500
if NOT (buttondown) then b=0
next

/Anders
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

I noticed you entered this one into the MiniGame compo.. nice. Personally I've had too little spare time and short attention span to get something useful done. Maybe I will work slowly during the year like many other people seem to do and wait for a future compo, if held. Otherwise I'd just pop out whatever I finish.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Mobsie
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by Mobsie »

Hi,

wery nice game, thank you.

Cheers
Mobsie
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

yes. I got bored and want to enter the contest. The deadline came up much too quickly, so I just submitted this old game.

I wasn't sure which of the old games to submit. Of the dozen games I have on disk, only 4 or 5 were made into PRG (PC) format to post to this message board.

I picked the puzzle game because it seemed to get the most positive responses. Thanks for the encouragement.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

I must admit I haven't tried it yet, but is this a two-token version of Jewels? Jewels is about putting together combinations of three or more identical symbols in a row, and they disappear. You shift two symbols at a time, and if there is no match, they shift back. I thought about spending the weekend hack together a such game, but I never got started.
Anders Carlsson

Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I suppose it is of the same genre... I was going for a "cupid" game where the player must match couples (and at time sacrificing/alienating individuals). I made it while recovering from a broken heart. How dramatic. :lol:
vic user
VicGyver

Post by vic user »

Must have been a dandy romance to get you to write a program about it :)

Whenever I felt sad about past relationships, I often thought that in some alternate reality, another me is still going out with whoever, so it's not so bad
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Or at least in an alternative universe which takes part in past time (i.e. time travelling). Of course I realize a dating game has to be about couples; it is not quite as romantic with threesome I believe. :P
Anders Carlsson

Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

That'll be the sequel.

Only You 2: Orgy Remix
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Are you sure it is not "Only Them"? The cracked, trained version can be called "Only Whoever".
Anders Carlsson