international VIC (localized keyboards)

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

groepaz
Vic 20 Scientist

international VIC (localized keyboards)

Post by groepaz »

yay!

i am in the process of reworking the keyboard mapping stuff in VICE - and while doing that it'd be a good chance to add any additional localized keyboards to the emulation incase those existed.

so the question is: did they exist for the VIC20? all info appreciated, ideally i need a picture of the keyboard in question (or a precise description on what keys are different to regular ones) and incase a custom kernal or chargen ROM is needed for them, images would be required as well.

thanks in advance!

(PS: if you can provide this info for the PET or even CBM2 series - or even know where i could ask for it - please speak up, those are puzzling me most right now)
I'm just a Software Guy who has no Idea how the Hardware works. Don't listen to me.
Boray
Musical Smurf

Re: international VIC (localized keyboards)

Post by Boray »

There is a swedish keyboard version (which is pretty rare even in Sweden). You will find the swedish char rom and kernal rom here:
http://www.zimmers.net/anonftp/pub/cbm/ ... index.html

I found a blurry picture:
http://www.datajonny.se/vintage/vic20-s.jpg
I have one of these, but I don't have it here so I can't take a picture myself. The keyboard has probably identical layout as the swedish c64 though (Vic-64s).

...And of course, there is the Japanese original Vic-1001.
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

We really need an archive of keyboard variations. That Swedish one is really exciting to me.

Sent from my phizzone
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
Misfit
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Misfit »

We call it "Scandinavian keyboard" in Finland. My school had several C64 with this keyboard.
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

I found a picture of mine here:
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Misfit wrote:We call it "Scandinavian keyboard" in Finland. My school had several C64 with this keyboard.
But the Norwegian and Danish Ö and Ä looks different from this (Ø and Æ), so it would rather be a Swedish/Finnish keyboard. They are really the same letters though, only looking different.
groepaz
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by groepaz »

thanks people, will consider this once the current keymap breakage is fixed :=)
I'm just a Software Guy who has no Idea how the Hardware works. Don't listen to me.
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

I just learned that the swedish c64 and vic-20 keyboards are different. The C64 lacks the graphical signs on the @ key which means you have to use CHR$ codes to be able to print them. Very strange.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Looking at the pic above again, it seems to me that the plus key should be in the top row with the other basic arithmetic symbols, and the colon (based on frequency of use) could be moved down in exchange to be closer to the return key.

Sent from my phizzone
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
jsundh
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by jsundh »

Hello,

I took some pictures of my unused Handic swedish keyboard kit called "ÅÄÖ till VIC 20".

http://www.ladda-upp.se/galleri/jsundh/ ... haracters/