any music programs?

Basic and Machine Language

Moderator: Moderators

hasselhoffindustries
Vic 20 Newbie

any music programs?

Post by hasselhoffindustries »

is there any music programs dor the vic 20? have any of you written a music program for the vic 20?
vic user
VicGyver

Post by vic user »

hi;

i know there is "vic composer" and "synthesound" on cartridge, and i am sure you can get the ROM images over the web, maybe even from Gamebase 20?

and there is "vic piano" which is included in the introductory guide for the vic :)

aneurysm is a fellow denial member, and he wrote some code so he can fiddle with his paddles which in turn alter the sound registers on the vic.

that's all i know about, but i am sure others will have way more info.

chris
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Daniel Kahlin (tlr on this forum) has written VIC-TRACKER. Aleksi Eeben, who was mentioned in the other thread about Pollytracker, a couple of years ago wrote an editor called Fisichella, see Funet:

http://www.ftp.funet.fi/pub/cbm/vic20/audio/index.html

I believe there may be a couple more editors/trackers, but maybe not publically released. Somehow it is much easier to write a music routine (I've written or modified at least two) than packaging it with an editor and user friendlyness.

What do you intend to do with the music? Just play live? Save and reload into the music program for playing? Have a separate routine or program you can include into other projects for music? Work with notation? Sequencing for other needs? Do you have any experience from trackers or similar editors on other computers, like C64, Amiga and so on?
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
aneurysm
not your PAL

Post by aneurysm »

Yeah?
Answer carlsson!
Legacy
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Legacy »

I downloaded Fisichella but it has no instructions, how do I use it? Is it stand alone editor, I see you can save files, but will that work with VICE? Am I able to create a song and use that code in my program?
The only way to program better is to find a better programmer. - Legacy 2009
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

I can't recall if Fisichella has any separate playback routines. It however is limited to loops of 16 bytes each if I recall correctly. A rather cool program but more for effects and jingles than long, flowing music. In this regard I would rather recommend Vic Tracker.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Legacy wrote:I downloaded Fisichella but it has no instructions, how do I use it?
There's a README file in the disk image:

Hope this helps a bit.
Legacy
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Legacy »

Vic Tracker is confusing :D
The only way to program better is to find a better programmer. - Legacy 2009
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

I've split the following discussion about measuring the VIC sound output into an own thread in the Hardware & Tech section.

Hi, Phil,

if there's no obvious thread topic that suits your current idea about a posting, you might consider to open up a new topic. ;)

Greetings,

Michael
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED