Please recommend a browser

Discuss anything related to the VIC
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Please recommend a browser

Post by Jeff-20 »

I am overwhelmed with bad toolbars and junk. What browser should I be using?
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
Leeeeee
soldering master

Post by Leeeeee »

Any browser will work ok but it helps to have some protection. I'm using IE6 but I'm protected behind a proxy server that filters 99.9% of the nasty things on the web. Go here ..

http://www.proxomitron.info/

.. for Proxomitron, the best kept secret out there.

You may also like to use HijackThis to help clean up all the stuff you have added so far, go here ..

http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/

.. to find it and other uninstall programmes.

Lee.
Mikam73
2049er

Post by Mikam73 »

Opera 8)

Its great :D
Bacon
for breakfast

Post by Bacon »

I use Firefox exclusively (except for at work, where I have to use the abonimable contraption from Redmond).
Bacon
-------------------------------------------------------
Das rubbernecken Sichtseeren keepen das cotton-pickenen Hands in die Pockets muss; relaxen und watschen die Blinkenlichten.
Schema
factor

Post by Schema »

Firefox, hands down.

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

In addition to the security bonuses, there are lots of little things that I can't live without anymore. i.e. you can Right-Click and copy an entire image into the Clipboard. Middle mouse button opens the link in a new tab. You can also block content (ads) from any server. And so on.

Add in the Adblock extension and you're all set.

http://adblock.mozdev.org/
vic user
VicGyver

Post by vic user »

sadly i can't use firefox because my comp. comes no where near the requirements, so i stick with old fashioned mozilla.

it's still superior to explorer.

chris
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

I use Firefox too... And Thunderbird for email...

/Anders
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
TMR
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by TMR »

Boray wrote:I use Firefox too... And Thunderbird for email...
Same here on both counts, with a little IE to test my own sites and not much else. =-)
ravenxau
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by ravenxau »

i use ie 5 on a win95 system for my net connection. no probs
ruud
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by ruud »

Boray wrote:I use Firefox too... And Thunderbird for email...
/Anders
Hallo Boray,

[bit OT]
I use Firefox and Pegasus. I use the last one because it enables me to erase email when still on the server. I tried Thunderbird but it lacks that function AFAIK. If it is able to do this after, please point me out how to do that.

[more OT]
how can one create this avatares I see on the left (like your Smurf). I searched the WEB and several sites mentioned it but not info so I am able to produce one. I even do'nt know if it is just a GIF, JPG or whatever!
Thanks for any info!

Code: Select all

___
   / __|__
  / /  |_/     Met vriendelijke groet, Ruud Baltissen
  \ \__|_\
   \___|       URL: www.baltissen.org

Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

I think you can set Thunderbird to do that in the server settings... But I have never done that.

About the avatar, you just make a little picture (.jpg works at least) and then you upload it to your homepage so that you get an URL for it. This address is what you write in your profile.

/Anders
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
Christian Johansson
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by Christian Johansson »

For Firefox I can recommend the NoScript plug-in. By default it blocks all JavaScripts and it can optionally also block Java applets, Macromedia Flash animations and other plug-ins. You whitelist the sites where you want JavaScript to be enabled. Doing that is easy. When you go to a web page, you can see how many scripts that have been blocked and from which sites they are and you can easily choose to allow JavaScript, either temporarily or permanently for the sites you want to. I feel much more secure with this plug-in.
Leeeeee
soldering master

Post by Leeeeee »

Christian Johansson wrote:For Firefox I can recommend the NoScript plug-in. By default it blocks all JavaScripts and it can ....
Proxomitron can do this, the advantage is you only need one instance of Proxomitron on your network and it works for all browsers.

Lee.
Lloyd Mangram
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

Its gotta be Firefox! :)