Which computer will be the most valuable in year 2050?

Discuss anything related to the VIC

Vic-20
32%
Plus/4
29%
C64
29%
Amiga 500
11%
Atari ST 1040
No votes
A normal PC of today running Windows 7 on an Intel i3
No votes
A pentium 200 MHz running Windows 95
No votes

Total votes: 38

Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

In fully working condition.

(I just felt there hadn't been enough polls lately)
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
orion70
VICtalian

Re: Which computer will be the most valuable in year 2050?

Post by orion70 »

First to vote :P
I guess it will be the oldest. Even if probably early IBM clones running old win systems will be the mainstream collector's item (the elderly will remember them as their youth PCs), the VIC will be seen as the dinosaur of them all. No-one will probably know how to use or repair a VIC without the help of books, manuals, and internet sources, but the very few working models will be seen as fetishes, and cost a fortune. Say, like purchasing a working Olivetti Programma 101 today :).
pixel
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by pixel »

I guess it'll be the plus/4, because there aren't so many.
A man without talent or ambition is most easily pleased. Others set his path and he is content.
https://github.com/SvenMichaelKlose
joshuadenmark
Big Mover

Post by joshuadenmark »

My vote is for Vic20 all time favorite!
Kind regards, Peter.
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by buzbard »

I voted C64.
There isn't really a large fan base for Plus4/C16 only because it came at the end of Commodore's life span. The C64 was a lot more popular.
The C64 seems to have a more 'fragile' chip set than the VIC20 so I'm guessing there are going to be fewer and fewer C64s as time rolls on.
Ray..
pixel
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by pixel »

buzbard wrote:I voted C64.
There isn't really a large fan base for Plus4/C16 only because it came at the end of Commodore's life span. The C64 was a lot more popular.
The C64 seems to have a more 'fragile' chip set than the VIC20 so I'm guessing there are going to be fewer and fewer C64s as time rolls on.
It's even worse with the C16 series. The TED chip tends to overheat and you can kill the thing by (un-)plugging the joystick when turned on.
A man without talent or ambition is most easily pleased. Others set his path and he is content.
https://github.com/SvenMichaelKlose
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

By then maybe you can print out a fully working Vic-20 in your 3D printer.
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
Witzo
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Witzo »

I voted Plus/4 for collectors, since that is what I think is the aim of the poll.
But the actually most useful computer will be the Pentium, because of enormous amounts of old data lying around that historians will want to access.
akator
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by akator »

An interesting question. Every time I come up with an answer I think of new reasons a different computer might be more valuable :D

Rarity is only a driving factor if people actually want it, also requiring enough people to know about it to want it. The Plus/4 may be the rarest but only 3 people may know what it is in 2050. Those 3 people will place a high value on it, but they will be the only ones.

The C64 will probably win this contest because from this list because of its market impact and popularity. In 2050 there will be comparatively few intact and working C64s, so rarity combined with historical significance will probably make it the winner.

Windows 95 PCs outsold the C64, but there was no one model or configuration to create a singular recognizable computer, an identifiable object of desire.

My reasoning for this is also because of insanely priced Atari 2600 and NES games sold over the last decade. There are equally rare software titles for other systems, but a critical mass of public awareness is necessary to drive the prices to stratospheric levels. I think the C64 is the only system listed that has the potential to meet those requirements.
malcontent
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by malcontent »

Gotta say plus/4, or maybe c16. TED fragility and all... Can't the joysticks burn it out somehow?

PETs definitely win though. Not too many computers prone to rust.
RJBowman
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by RJBowman »

No write ins? The most valuable will be the Apple One followed by the Altair. These values would be reversed if reason prevailed, but sadly the pioneering work of Altair is unknown to the masses, and people are more likely to believe that Apple invented the micro computer.

VIC will be more valuable than '64. The wondows machines will be worthless. The Amigas, sadly, will be mostly forgotten, and the various oddball Commodore 8-bit machines will non-sequitur antiques; without "book" value and worth whatever an eccentric collector will pay for them on that day.
Barney
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Barney »

The AMIGA will never be forgotten. It will definitely be worth more than any computer on the above list. Take a look on Ebay and see what AMIGA's go for. Some go for over $2,000.
English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by English Invader »

I think, in the long run, emulation will drive down the prices of real hardware; especially when CRT televisions become hard to find.

At the moment, all emulation seems to do is whet my appetite for the real thing but there may come a time when it all seems like more trouble than it's worth and I'll settle for a nice PC and a lot of space in my home.
Last edited by English Invader on Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
R'zo
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by R'zo »

I voted Vic, it has my love. 64 seems to have a larger following than the vic and more devout than the others so it will probably win out.
R'zo
I do not believe in obsolete...
16KVIC20
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by 16KVIC20 »

I think it would be the C64. It was the biggest seller, so it will be remembered kind of like a Model T Ford (have you seen what they sell for now!). As others have said it seems to be more fragile than our dear Vic, so there will be fewer and fewer. The Vic will continue to be sought after by those in the know, but for the mainstream, which is what drives markets, the C64 will be the one to have, especially as you can do quite a bit more with it. Many of the games are still pretty impressive now I think. Much as I love the VIC it certainly does have its limitations.